PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

David Ortiz shot in The Dominican

Status
Not open for further replies.
UK Daily Mail says a hit ordered by a local drug lord who thought Ortiz was having an affair with his wife.

Doesn't that drug lord know that Ortiz is loved in DR?

There is a strange psyche out there that revels in the limelight that this shooting might create for this person.. from what I saw it was either a flat out assassination attempt for some unknown transgression or more likely a "trophy" shooting that created a perverted credibility for the shooter..

Agreed. Question remains...what happened to cause a hit to be put out, if it was indeed a hit which seems likely is the most pertinent question now. A hit isn’t put out just for kicks and that will be very interesting to see what the hell really happened.
Who knows. I'm not buying the Pablo Escobar was out to get Papi stories.

Yet

Who knows. I'm not buying the Pablo Escobar was out to get Papi stories.

Yet

Yeah I am on the fence about that as of now myself. Still, a two man “hit team”, that weren’t exactly stellar in their operation? Smells like cops. Add in cartel hits are always very public to send messages and they don‘t care about collateral damage. Would also explain the hurry to get him back to Boston. If they knew it was a hit, he needs to be gone asap.

I pray it wasn’t that and I am totally wrong

Get well Big Papi, we'd all invade the dominican if you command it!
It’s been done. I worked for a guy who commanded a Marine tank platoon in it.

They’ve always been subject to only the law of the jungle.

Remember, before drug lords they were the Banana Republics. Playthings of oligarchs who used United Fruit Company’s private army to ensure dictators favorable to their interests.

Note the detail in this article that the US invasion ensured that a constitutional democracy would not be restored...

https://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1981.html

Interesting but I mean, it's the Daily Mail...

Still, that's something I hadn't thought of. When you think of a hit in the DR you immediately think of gang/drug violence and it was hard to imagine Ortiz being wrapped up in that.
Could be something like consequence of his good social works. Building a clinic in the wrong place. Or reducing market demand for drugs. Shouldn’t’ve built that chain of methadone clinics...

I got a timeout from another forum for saying that the DR is bleep hole. Glad to see i am not alone.
Sorry to hear that. I believe not only are we not alone but are the majority on this topic.

The last thing that formed my opinion was race or superior thinking. I travel to islands. Islands that have earned my trust. DR has failed miserably in the trust factor. Even the Travel Agents tell you “don’t leave the resort”.

I think Ian and the moderators on this site know when someone is being genuine and just stating an opinion.

He was shot.

Could have died or wound up paralyzed.
Thankfully it was Greedo and Hammerhead that went after Papi and not, like, competent assassins.

I have a feeling the situation was a lot more serious than we have been led to believe. Not that his life is in jeopardy right now, but that it was worse than the optimistic appraisal his father originally gave us.

Sorry to hear that. I believe not only are we not alone but are the majority on this topic.

The last thing that formed my opinion was race or superior thinking. I travel to islands. Islands that have earned my trust. DR has failed miserably in the trust factor. Even the Travel Agents tell you “don’t leave the resort”.

I think Ian and the moderators on this site know when someone is being genuine and just stating an opinion.

Yeah. It was called “offensive”. I am glad this place is like it is. I meant no malice by it other than stating what I believe is a stated fact. Any country that has a big cartel influence is one that gets my bleep hole definition.

I travel to islands. Islands that have earned my trust. DR has failed miserably in the trust factor. Even the Travel Agents tell you “don’t leave the resort”.

Americans are being poisoned and killed on the Resorts now too, so nowhere is safe

Just heard on the Sox broadcast that Papi landed safely in Boston. What a weird story. Glad that he seems to be out of the woods.

Just heard on the Sox broadcast that Papi landed safely in Boston. What a weird story. Glad that he seems to be out of the woods.

He's just lucky it wasn't Walter White coordinating the hit.

NESN reporting Papi' has safely arrived in Boston.
Thankfully no complications enroute.

Have any of you who are ragging on the DR actually been there?

I'm not asking rhetorically or as a gotcha. I've heard nothing but positives about where it is headed and the resort stuff plus this are too isolated of incidents for me to rule it out as a trip destination.

I'm moving to TX and planning on hitting up Colombia and I just got back from yet another Tijuana visit so I'm hardly ascared when it comes to picking out new and off-the-beaten path travel destinations. As long as the destination is packed with senoritas who will lower their standards for a doughy white guy from new england....

Yeah. It was called “offensive”. I am glad this place is like it is. I meant no malice by it other than stating what I believe is a stated fact. Any country that has a big cartel influence is one that gets my bleep hole definition.
I find it Offensive that they found that Offensive. What were you on a Colts web page o_O

Have any of you who are ragging on the DR actually been there?

I'm not asking rhetorically or as a gotcha. I've heard nothing but positives about where it is headed and the resort stuff plus this are too isolated of incidents for me to rule it out as a trip destination.

I'm moving to TX and planning on hitting up Colombia and I just got back from yet another Tijuana visit so I'm hardly ascared when it comes to picking out new and off-the-beaten path travel destinations. As long as the destination is packed with senoritas who will lower their standards for a doughy white guy from new england....

I was there a couple times on cruises about 7 years ago now. Great place, great people (doubt that has changed). That was then. However the travel advisories aren’t that hot now and I would not go. Columbia is not a great place overall either yet there are places that are no gos (check advisories) and others that are fine. There is a difference in being scared and sensibly not putting yourself in a really bad situation. To each their own however.

I find it Offensive that they found that Offensive. What were you on a Colts web page o_O

Lol now that would be funny. Nah, it’s another Boston team forum. In my opinion it is mods run amok but what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News