PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the rule and has been forever. The ball is OOB and the play is dead the moment the ball touches anything OOB.

This saved NE in 2001 when an unconscious Patten fumbled but landed with his head OOB. The ball touched his feet just before Buffalo recovered the fumble. The play was correctly blown dead with NE retaining possession.

GB has taken advantage of this rule many times. When a KO is near the sideline a GB player will put one foot OOB then reach over and touch the ball. Instant kickoff OOB penalty on the kicking team.

Ha! I guess I should have just read a little further, it would have saved me the trouble. :)

It isn't in anyone's possession until the second foot comes down, making it as loose as the most rumbly tumbly fumble.

That was the same reasoning in “The Fail Mary” with the replacement refs when Russell Wilson’s Hail Mary was rule a touchdown because both players maintained possession of the ball, even though the Packers defender actually caught it first (but didn’t get both feet down until the Seahawks receiver had his hands on it too.). So there is some relevance to the player who is actually in the process of maintaining possession first.

The reason the Patton and kickoff examples are not good are because it’s one player throughout the play, whereas Sunday’s play involved two players. Has the league office commented on this play and said it should be reversed? I really don’t know, other than that the Patron and kickoff play make logical sense, whereas in this case it would be counterintuitive if Stephon Gilmore is defending a deep pass down the sideline, steps out of bounds, jumps and touches the ball just as AJ Green is hailing it in while in bounds.

So I’m not saying the call was correct or incorrect on Sunday, just that these examples are clear cut, whereas I have never actually seen a play blown dead because a player out of bounds touched a ball that has already been caught (but not possessed) by a player I bounds. League clarification would be great. Right now it’s between assuming the officials were wrong or assuming Dan Fouts was wrong.

That was the same reasoning in “The Fail Mary” with the replacement refs when Russell Wilson’s Hail Mary was rule a touchdown because both players maintained possession of the ball, even though the Packers defender actually caught it first (but didn’t get both feet down until the Seahawks receiver had his hands on it too.). So there is some relevance to the player who is actually in the process of maintaining possession first.

The reason the Patton and kickoff examples are not good are because it’s one player throughout the play, whereas Sunday’s play involved two players. Has the league office commented on this play and said it should be reversed? I really don’t know, other than that the Patron and kickoff play make logical sense, whereas in this case it would be counterintuitive if Stephon Gilmore is defending a deep pass down the sideline, steps out of bounds, jumps and touches the ball just as AJ Green is hailing it in while in bounds.

So I’m not saying the call was correct or incorrect on Sunday, just that these examples are clear cut, whereas I have never actually seen a play blown dead because a player out of bounds touched a ball that has already been caught (but not possessed) by a player I bounds. League clarification would be great. Right now it’s between assuming the officials were wrong or assuming Dan Fouts was wrong.

Two vs. one is irrelevant. Loose ball (of which a catch not yet finalized applies) + touched by a player who is OOB = the play is dead. It's cut and dried.

McDermott DNA everywhere..

A bit more clarification (I’ve been looking at the rules).

OOB-ness is only transmissible to loose balls (a loose ball being any ball not in player possession, whether it’s a placekicked ball, punted ball, forward pass, lateral, fumble, etc. This includes a not-yet-completed catch since there is no player possession until the catch is complete).

By contrast, once the ball is in player possession, that ballcarrier can only go OOB by directly contacting an OOB piece of the field. There is no transmissibility.

A bit more clarification (I’ve been looking at the rules).

OOB-ness is only transmissible to loose balls (a loose ball being any ball not in player possession, whether it’s a placekicked ball, punted ball, forward pass, lateral, fumble, etc. This includes a not-yet-completed catch since there is no player possession until the catch is complete).

By contrast, once the ball is in player possession, that ballcarrier can only go OOB by directly contacting an OOB piece of the field. There is no transmissibility.
Sounds right...However, what Steratore was arguing I believe is that the WR while OOB contacted JCJ who at that very moment did not have Control of the football, and that's why transmissability becomes relevant again...very close either way.

Sounds right...However, what Steratore was arguing I believe is that the WR while OOB contacted JCJ who at that very moment did not have Control of the football, and that's why transmissability becomes relevant again...very close either way.

It wasn't contact with JC, it was contact with the ball. And it clearly happened before his second foot came down, so it should have been incomplete.

Last edited:
It wasn't contact with JC, it was contact with the ball. And it clearly happened long before his second foot came down, so it should have been incomplete.
Right, but I think even Steratore missed that. Wasn’t he going on about OOB contact when JC was bobbling the ball? That was actually irrelevant because the play should have been blown dead and incomplete even before the bobble, as you note.

06:20 - THE RIDE TO THE BUFFALO GAME WAS...INTERESTING
07:45 - MIDDLE FINGERS ARE HEREDITARY IN BUFFALO

Sorry that you don't like people giving opinions of your blathering posts. Just keep on spinning and making things up. Only thing you've shown yourself to be capable of.

You are sorry. That we agree on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back