PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Offensive Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan Wendell vies for Logan Mankins' spot by Ian Rapoport for the Boston Herald:

When guard Ryan Wendell was a freshman at Fresno State, the big man on campus was a dominating guard named Logan Mankins. The future Patriots' Pro Bowler befriended Wendell then, and again when the two were teammates in New England.

“He was already a full grown man, and I was just a little kid coming into college,” recalled Wendell, a 6-foot-2, 290-pounder who played in two games last year. “But, he looked out for me then, and when I got here. I knew him and his family.”

Times have changed. With Mankins continuing his high-profile sit-out of training camp because of frustration with his contract, Wendell could take his place. Reserves Dan Connolly and Rich Ohrnberger are other players who may get thrust into the spotlight.

1093278.jpeg

That’s because guard Nick Kaczur, who was slated to fill in for Mankins, has a back injury that could keep him out a significant portion of the 2010 season.

Given Kaczur’s situation, either Wendell, Connolly or Ohrnberger could find himself as a sudden starter. Wendell was asked about the awkwardness of potentially taking his friend’s spot.

“It’s nothing,” Wendell said. “It’s just a spot. We go in and play football. That’s it.”

Reserve Guard Dan Connolly Making Most Of Logan Mankins' Holdout by Jeff Howe for NESN:

"Everything is an opportunity when you get a chance to play," Connolly said Monday. "I'm going to take it in full stride and do the best I can."

Connolly started four games at right guard last season for the injured Stephen Neal, but the sixth-year lineman doesn’t have any game experience on the left side. He's practiced at left guard throughout training camp, but due to the reps he's recently seen, it's possible the coaching staff believes he is a better fit at right guard -- although, that’s still Neal's job these days.

Nevertheless, Connolly feels comfortable making the transition from one side to another.

"It's not difficult," said Connolly, who has also appeared at center for the Patriots. "I prepare myself to know all three inside spots. When the time comes and I need to switch, I'm ready for it."

Connolly has a decisive edge in experience over Ryan Wendell, who has only played in two career games but has seen a recent spike in reps at left guard. The two are in competition for that spot now that it appears as though Kaczur might take awhile to get back on the field, if he's able to return at all.

For the time being, Connolly has appreciated his chance to line up with the first team, especially when he's staring in the face of Vince Wilfork on any given play.

"It's good because then I'm going against better competition and seeing what I'm going to see on Sunday," Connolly said.

Some pre-camp roster rankings and profiles by WEEI's Christopher Price:

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 4)

49. Offensive tackle Mark LeVoir: A massive tackle (6-foot-7, 310 pounds) who can provide depth — probably the No. 3 or No. 4 man at the position for the Patriots — he also lined up as an extra tight end on occasion last season. Someone who’s spent the last two seasons with New England, LeVoir isn’t the sort of guy you want as a starting lineman 16 games a year, but he’s certainly proven himself to be a worthy option when called upon in a pinch.

48. Offensive lineman Rich Ohrnberger: The Penn Stater — who has worked at guard and center — was active for only three games last season and saw time in one of them, but could get his chance for more time this season if Logan Mankins is missing for an extended stretch. A 6-foot-2, 300-pound interior lineman who the Patriots traded up to obtain in the 2009 draft, the thinking is that if New England goes with the versatile Dan Connolly at left guard while Mankins is out, Ohrnberger could move up the depth chart, stepping into the role that Connolly filled last season, at least on an occasional basis. But the organization remains very high on Ohrnberger, and it will be interesting to see if he will be able to develop given the fact that he should get more reps this summer and fall.

Mike Reiss takes a look at the Pat's offensive line approaching training camp for espn boston. Reiss notes Logan Mankins was incredibly reliable; he not only started every game possible since becoming an Patriot, he never even missed a practice. Last year he had more snaps than any other guard in the NFL, and in the last five years has appeared in 98.8% of the offense's plays.

The New England Patriots, lineman Logan Mankins haven't budged on contract talks - ESPN Boston

If Kaczur struggles in making the switch to guard, the fallback plan probably would be to have five-year veteran Dann Connolly step in. Connolly started four games last season, filling in at right guard for Stephen Neal. It was the first starting experience of his career. Rich Ohrnberger (2009 fourth-round pick), George Bussey (2009 fifth-round pick), Ryan Wendell (2009 practice squad player) and Ted Larsen (2010 sixth-round pick) are farther down the depth chart but also possibilities to emerge with a strong camp.

The Patriots have had a solid run at the left guard spot in Bill Belichick's tenure, with Joe Andruzzi, Mike Compton, Damien Woody and Mankins. All were solid contributors.

Now another change is in the offing, and its impact can't be minimized.

Patriots find themselves in a quandry. They offered $7 million a year to Mankins and he refused. So they offered a million to Eric Guiaciac and and/or a million to Darnell Stapleton to play LG.

The issue is Mankins worth $7 million? If he is, (in the opinion of the Pats FO), than what would buy more for an additional $ 1 million dollars? Would the Pats be better off signning Mankins for $ 7 million, plus adding a million, and having Mankins playing, instead of paying a million to either Guiciac/Stapleton to play for the extra million?

Last edited:
Patriots find themselves in a quandry. They offered $7 million a year to Mankins and he refused. So they offered a million to Eric Guiaciac and and/or a million to Darnell Stapleton to play LG.

The issue is Mankins worth $7 million? If he is, (in the opinion of the Pats FO), than what would buy more for an additional $ 1 million dollars? Would the Pats be better off signning Mankins for $ 7 million, plus adding a million, and having Mankins playing, instead of paying a million to either Guiciac/Stapleton to play for the extra million?

Um, giving Mankins an extra $1M over the $7M they offered him would be paying an extra $7M over what they are offering Guicac or Stapleton. The question is whether Mankins is worth $7M a year more.

I don't have the perspective to evaluate the specific economics on this one. I do know, however, that having a suspect offensive line will be making poorer use of Tom Brady's talents than having a suspect receiving corps ever did. We may lack a pass rush, but if we have solid pass protection, what looks to be an outstanding receiving corps, and the threat of a running game, we at least have the option of the Indy approach of outscoring the opposition every Sunday. I'm not exactly sanguine about the pass protection or running game, given the state of our interior line.

Arern't the contract with the others short term contracts? If the patriots offered Mankins $7M to play for one year, I whink that he would sign in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Tom Brady, Receiving Corps Hitting Stride Despite Rotating Offensive Line by Jeff Howe for NESN:

The Saints looked like the more well-rounded team throughout the day, but the most notable thing was their attempts to attack particular areas on both sides of the ball. The Saints' defense put a whole lot of pressure on the Patriots' offensive line, which has been working in a rotation of left guards.

Dan Connolly was the guy at that spot through the majority of Tuesday's sessions. In the afternoon practice, Mark LeVoir surprisingly garnered almost all of the snaps at right tackle, which is Sebastian Vollmer's spot. In any event, the Patriots had trouble protecting the quarterback at times. However, quarterbacks were not allowed to get hit by defenders, so it was difficult to get a full read on all of the action in the backfield

Nick Caserio Q&A, 8/10 by Christopher Price for WEEI:

Q: You guys have had some flux at the left guard position. Can you break down that competition. Is there any chance Steve Neal comes over or do you take the guys you’ve got?
NC: Right now, we’re working with the guys we have. Dante [Scarnecchia] really moves those guys around quite a bit. Really, all the guys that play the inside spots end up playing all three inside spots in practice because you want to see who can player where [and] what kind of flexibility they have. So there are a number of players who have worked in that spot on a day-to-day basis, so I think that will continue moving forward.

Q: Are there similarities between Eric Ghiaciuc and Darnell Stapleton?
NC: In terms of both being interior players. They both have experience. They’ve both started games. Ghiaciuc has played more center than he has guard. Stapleton has played more guard than he has center. I’d say the similarities are that they both have experience starting games and they are both interior players. I think they’ve played two different spots, but like I just mentioned earlier, they’ll work at all interior spots and we’ll see how it goes.

Q: How did you think you guys looked today on offense?
NC: I think it’s hard to tell because you’re still working at sort of a team pace. There’s no live tackling or anything like that. What you’re looking for is the timing and the execution. I think they made some plays. We made some plays. That’s a good defense. They have a lot of active players. They have a good front four. Jonathan Vilma is hard to block. He’s fast. He covers a lot of ground. So really, I think you’re looking for the tempo and the execution and I think both teams made their fair share of plays, so it’s good competition. I think that’s kind of how you hoped it would be – that everybody has their share of success.

Dan Connolly In Line To Protect QB by Ian Rapoport for the Boston Herald:

Suddenly thrust into a vital position on the offensive line, Dan Connolly doesn’t feel nervous. He isn’t tentative, either.

“I embrace that,” said Connolly, the 6-foot-4, 313-pound sixth-year player out of Southeast Missouri State. “It’s a great challenge, and it’s a good opportunity for me. I can just try my best to do as good as I can when I’m out there.”

As of yesterday’s practice, Connolly was the team’s likely starter at left guard.

Connolly was the team’s short-yardage fullback last year, a position that helped him become acclimated to the speed of the game. He just hasn’t been a full-time lineman, especially at a spot that protects quarterback Tom Brady's blind side.

“(Fullback) definitely got me into the game, used to the tempo with things flying,” Connolly said. “Any little bit of playing time always helps.”

Vollmer Looks To Build On Memorable Rookie Year by Christopher price for WEEI:

“I’m thankful I got game experience, because I know there are certain situations you can’t experience in anything but the game,” he said. “I think that’s really going to benefit me down the road.

“But I’m still here to learn — that’s what training camp is for. I’m just going to keep working.”

“I think the whole o-line, there were a lot of veterans, but just having guys like (Mankins) around who can help me out,” Vollmer said. “It wasn’t just him. I talk to Matt, I talk to Nick [Kaczur], whoever it might be, to give me pointers. ‘You might want to do this better.’ Playing against a certain guy, they might give me some tips. Really, just having veterans around in general has been good.”

I think there are a lot of things — I don’t think I can pinpoint one thing. I think I just need to step up my overall game and get better in everything, really,” he said. “I’m a competitive guy. I just want to get better every day and try and do what I’m asked to do and do it to the best of my ability.”

Mike Reiss of espnBoston comments on Tuesday's practice:

Solid camp for Matt Light. The veteran left tackle has quietly put together a solid training camp. In the segment of one-on-one blocking drills I watched, he looked like the team’s best blocker, going up against some tough competition, such as Will Smith, and holding his own.

Stapleton, the former Steeler, didn't even last for 48 hours.

Pats Re-sign Clayton, Release Stapleton by Christopher Price for WEEI:

Stapleton, 6-3, 305 pounds, was signed by the Patriots on August 9. A veteran of three NFL seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, Stapleton originally joined Pittsburgh as a rookie free agent in 2007 out of Rutgers. He made the 53-man roster as a rookie in 2007 but was inactive for all 16 games. Stapleton played in all 16 regular-season games in 2008 and made 12 starts at right guard. Stapleton was injured in the preseason last year and spent the season on injured reserve.

Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus asks: Should They Pay or Should He Go? - Logan Mankins

The Pats moved pretty quickly to move solid right tackle Nick Kaczur to left guard in camp — Sebastian Vollmer had to move into the starting lineup based on a superior rookie year, and without dropping the steady Matt Light. But with Kaczur picking up an injury that could rule him out of the 2010 season, it now leaves the Pats potentially starting Dan Connolly at left guard.

Connolly started four games at right guard and was used as a fullback and tight end at times during 2009, featuring in a not insignificant 420 snaps. He finished the season with a credible 23 positive blocks on 219 running plays— enough to suggest he could fit into what the Patriots line is doing but not in the same league as Mankins. Even if Connolly can stretch his play out over the course of the season, the Patriots line is in for a net loss, so why not pay a top-tier player what he deserves?

Perhaps it boils down to the Patriots not valuing guards as highly as other positions, and so the prospect of putting $8 million a year on the table for a guard isn’t something they’re relishing. Perhaps they’re happy with their depth. Or perhaps they’re trying to call their All Pro guard’s bluff.

It’s a risky strategy, that’s for sure, but one they’ve used before. If they get the right draft picks, they could swing a deal like they did with defensive end Richard Seymour in 2009. But there are a lot of young draft picks in New England these days, and not as many blue chippers.

Verdict: Pay the Man.

Mankins Drama Goes On; Team May Place Him On Exempt List by Bert Breer and Monique Walker for the Boston Globe:

Tomorrow is the deadline for the Patriots to send Mankins a letter stating their intent to place him on the roster exempt list. The team has to do that to reserve the right to put him on that list, a move the Patriots can execute starting at midnight on the day of their second preseason game, which is Thursday.

If the club puts Mankins on that list, he’ll have to sit out three games after he signs before joining the roster. Preseason games count, so if, say, he signed before the third preseason game, he’d be eligible after Week 1.

The real pressure point here comes in midseason — Mankins needs to be on the roster for six games to accrue the season toward free agency. If he’s on the roster exempt list, he’ll need to sign before the club’s eighth game (Week 9) to play in its 11th contest.

It Is What It Is Light on Big Show: O-line going ‘100 mph’ without Mankins

There’s a lot of talk about Logan Mankins. How important is it for the offensive line to get some cohesiveness at this point in the year?

Matt Light: I understand the question and if you look at how we’ve operated here, the job that [Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia] has done with the offensive line over the entire time that I’ve been here. For 10 years, he’s prepared guys as well as anybody I’ve ever been around. Our mindset’s always been regardless of who it is next to you, we practice these things enough and guys are astute and take it upon themselves to get ready for action any time they’re called upon. Does it hurt not having Logan in there? Yeah, I can’t lie to you. I’ve played next to the guy for a long time and wish he was there with us right now, but we’ve got what we’ve got and we’re going to go 100 miles per hour with it. I think the expectations for everyone in that offensive line room is that they can step up and play. Dan [Koppen’s] always done that, and Russ Hochstein, when he was here, filled in at several positions. We’ve got a lot of guys who have been able to do that at critical times, and we really haven’t skipped a beat there.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Marques Murrell Open Eyes in Patriots' Preseason Win Over Saints - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Downward Trending
1. It was a poor night for the Patriots' backup offensive linemen, but tackle Mark LeVoir seemed to have an especially difficult time when he lined up on the right side. The Saints really targeted that part of the Pats' line when LeVoir was over there, and quarterback Brian Hoyer had to pick grass out of his teeth on a few occasions as a result. LeVoir is going to get a push by George Busseyand rookie Thomas Welch. And if the Patriots deem it necessary to carry additional interior linemen in lieu of tackles, LeVoir has to step it up to ensure he's able to keep his job.

A couple more pre-TC roster rankings from WEEI's Christopher Price:

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 6)

29. Offensive lineman Nick Kaczur: Like several other o-linemen, Kaczur’s fortunes are linked to Logan Mankins. If Mankins isn’t in camp, expect the 6-foot-4, 315-pound Kaczur to move from his right tackle spot to left guard, as he did during spring practices. (In fact, if Mankins continues to stay away, it looks like the left guard spot will be a battle between Kaczur and Dan Connolly. Sources say the Patriots have not been kicking the tires on some of the available veteran guards like Chester Pitts and Brandon Gorin.) If Mankins is around, Kaczur will likely see time as a backup tackle, as he was passed last year by Sebastian Vollmer.

21. Guard Stephen Neal: One of the foundations that the offensive line has been built upon since he grew into the role of full-time starter in 2003, the 6-foot-4, 305-pound Neal was close to retiring at the end of the 2009 season, but came back for (presumably) one more year in New England. When healthy, he remains a borderline Pro Bowler, an important part of the offensive line and one of the better run blockers in the league (just ask our pals at Pro Football Focus). There’s no reason to think Neal won’t be the No. 1 right guard from start to finish this season.

As above, from Pro Football Focus:
Perhaps it boils down to the Patriots not valuing guards as highly as other positions, and so the prospect of putting $8 million a year on the table for a guard isn’t something they’re relishing. Perhaps they’re happy with their depth. Or perhaps they’re trying to call their All Pro guard’s bluff.

IMO, this is it in a nutshell--the Pats set a price for any position, regardless of the player occupying it. After watching Ellis' lack of impact on NO's run game up the middle, one might assume he is overpaid or not that hard to defend. While Mankins is a fierce straight-line run blocker, his pass blocking has some holes as Tuck schooled him in the SB. Mankins aggressive attitude serves him much better on the field than it does kibitzing with his agent.

Price's final pre-camp roster ranking includes four offensive linemen in his top fifteen spots; unfortunately the top-ranked guy is not in TC:

It Is What It Is Rating the Roster, Training Camp Edition (Part 7)

15. Left tackle Matt Light: Like Laurence Maroney, no one is lukewarm on Light. There are still times where he remains hopelessly overmatched — he might be the happiest guy in the world at the prospect of the retirement of Buffalo’s Aaron Schobel — but for the most part, he remains a key part of the offensive line. Tough to believe he’s going into his 10th season, but he’s been a two-time Pro Bowler. Keeping the left tackle spot warm for the day Sebastian Vollmer eventually takes over.

12. Center Dan Koppen: The leader of an offensive line that’s in a state of flux — Stephen Neal and Matt Light likely won’t be around much longer, while younger linemen like Sebastian Vollmer continue to emerge. (And no one is sure about the future of Logan Mankins in New England.) Koppen and Brady are as simpatico as any set of teammates in the New England locker room, and there’s no reason to think that Koppen won’t continue to be the starting center for the foreseeable future.

10. Left tackle Sebastian Vollmer: Hands down, the Patriots’ 2009 Rookie of the Year. The second-year pick out of Houston was absolutely dominant at times, but was at his best in the November loss to the Colts, where he just blunted pass-rusher extraordinaire Dwight Freeney, holding him sackless. Whether he was filling in for an injured Matt Light last season at left tackle or stepping in for Nick Kaczur at right tackle, the offense was clearly better and more efficient when Vollmer was on the field. He’ll eventually move over from right tackle to left tackle when Light leaves, but barring injury, there’s no reason to think that Vollmer won’t be a beast for the next 10 seasons or more.

6. Guard Logan Mankins: Of course, this comes with the understanding that no one is sure when the Pro Bowl left guard will see the field again, but under this system, he is clearly a borderline Top 5 candidate. However, he’s locked in a contract imbroglio with the New England front office, and the language coming from Mankins and his agent is so angry that it’s completely reasons to suggest that the Fresno Stater may have played his last game with the Patriots. If that’s the case, it’ll be too bad — the tough and durable Mankins has rarely missed a practice since he first arrived in 2005, and based on his body of work, has every right to stand alongside some of the best interior linemen in the history of the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes