PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No one could have reasonably predicted that TB would still be this good at 43

That's a separate topic and not the thread topic.
Disagree. It goes along with nobody predicting Brady would still be good. We didn’t have a viable option enough to justify doubting him and cutting bait.

Congrats Brady

I don't know if this is the right thread since Tom wasn't great in the NFCCG.

And with what money were the Pats going to pay Tom? The Pats had no cap space. It was time for both parties to move on and they did.
The haters keep bringing up the cap space, but either they are ignorant or being deliberately dishonest.

It has been well established that NE could have kept Brady at a lower 2020 cap number had they signed him to a new deal early enough in the offseason and structured it as such. So stop with the cap space B.S.

Last edited:
Yes...BB and Kraft made the wrong call and in retrospect should have extended him back in 2017. However it is completely understandable why they did not think placing a 25-20 million/year bet on a 43-44 you QB would be money well spent.

OK Tom and Alex Guerrero were right, but what Brady is doing is unprecedented and could not have been predicted. So everyone who wants to tear BB a new one should think twice.
There is no shortage of things that used to be "unprecedented" until Tom Brady came along and did it. He has been doing "unprecedented" things throughout his career left and right. So using that as an excuse for letting him go is weaksauce.

I didn't really care.......I had fun watching the Pats this year anyway.

Now I get to watch a new Pats team rise up.

The people wringing their hands over the idea that their lives are somehow incomplete unless their football team achieves a certain level are most certainly missing something of substance from their lives.

The haters keep bringing up the cap space, but either they are ignorant or being deliberately dishonest.

It has been well established that NE could have kept Brady at a lower 2020 cap number had they signed him to a new deal early enough in the offseason and structured it as such. So stop with the cap space B.S.

No.

In 2020, Brady counted $25 million against the cap. That will increase to $26.63 million in 2021, due to likely-to-be earned incentives.

If Tom signed the same deal here, he would have counted $31.75m in 2020 and $33.38m in 2021 which would have accounted for $16% in 2020 cap and with Covid and reduced cap # would have been 19% in 2021.

Those two % would have been the highest of Tom's career in NE.

How do they keep Mankins and McCourty in 2020 and be a player in FA in 2021?

I would have preferred they would have kept Tom but you can't keep everyone if they paid him.

Besides, he didn't want to stay and Bill didn't want him.

I don't know if this is the right thread since Tom wasn't great in the NFCCG.

And with what money were the Pats going to pay Tom? The Pats had no cap space. It was time for both parties to move on and they did.

This has been discussed many times before. The Pats had plenty of cap space. The Pats are currently carrying $13m in dead money for Tom. So to sign him for $50m for 2 years guaranteed, they needed $12m more in 2020 with $13m rolling to 2020 in dead money. That $12m could have come from letting Thuney walk or not resigning DMac. There you go.

No.

In 2020, Brady counted $25 million against the cap. That will increase to $26.63 million in 2021, due to likely-to-be earned incentives.

If Tom signed the same deal here, he would have counted $31.75m in 2020 and $33.38m in 2021 which would have accounted for $16% in 2020 cap and with Covid and reduced cap # would have been 19% in 2021.

Those two % would have been the highest of Tom's career in NE.

How do they keep Mankins and McCourty in 2020 and be a player in FA in 2021?

I would have preferred they would have kept Tom but you can't keep everyone if they paid him.

Besides, he didn't want to stay and Bill didn't want him.

You would have rolled about $13m into 2022. So hits in 2020 and 2021 would be $25m each.

And you don’t franchise tag Thuney.

Voila!! Problem solved!

BB wanted to kick Tom out. Now watch BB sign Stafford or Ryan or some other junk at the same mid-low $20s number

No.

Why in the world would you just assume he would automatically sign the same deal here with the same structuring? NE could have easily structured it differently. Tampa Bay didn't give him a signing bonus, hence the high year 1 cap hit. NE could have made that $25 million a signing bonus and spread it out over up to 5 years.

If they did that deal early enough (before March 18), that would have actually lowered his 2020 cap hit. As such, it has been well established that NE could have kept Brady at a lower 2020 cap number had they signed him to a new deal early enough in the offseason and structured it as such. So stop with the cap space B.S.

Why in the world would you just assume he would automatically sign the same deal here with the same structuring? NE could have easily structured it differently. Tampa Bay didn't give him a signing bonus, hence the high year 1 cap hit. NE could have made that $25 million a signing bonus and spread it out over up to 5 years.

If they did that deal early enough (before March 18), that would have actually lowered his 2020 cap hit. As such, it has been well established that NE could have kept Brady at a lower 2020 cap number had they signed him to a new deal early enough in the offseason and structured it as such. So stop with the cap space B.S.

No.

TB guaranteed ALL $50m at signing and carries a dead cap hit of $25m per season.

So spread out $50m? over 5 years? Really?

I'll post this again.

No.

TB guaranteed ALL $50m at signing and carries a dead cap hit of $25m per season.

So spread out $50m? over 5 years? Really?

I'll post this again.

You can post it as many times as you want but it is completely irrelevant to the point I am making. I don't think you understand that what I am proposing is a restructuring of Brady's contract, not simply keeping him here under the same deal.

My statement remains 100% true. The Patriots could have structured a new deal with Brady such that his 2020 cap hit would go down from what it ended up being. An example would be a 5 year deal with a $24 million signing bonus, vet minimum year 1 salary, with a fully guaranteed year 2 salary in the range of $20 to $25 million or so (then 3 voidable years or maybe even a club option for year 3). If they signed it before March 18, that would have resulted in a lower 2020 cap hit for Brady than they ended up actually swallowing.

(Another option would have been to give him a higher signing bonus, say $35 million, then vet minimum for year 1 and a much lower year 2 salary - say, around $10 million. That would increase the Year 1 cap hit a bit but lower year 2's hit.)

Now, you could certainly argue the above contract would just be kicking the can further down the road and would create a worse cap situation in the future, and you would probably be right. But my thesis fully stands: They could have kept Brady with a lower 2020 cap number than what they ended up swallowing.

Thanks for that detailed and thoughtful response. Totally blew apart my argument.
Read the f-ing article and it does.

People like you and the rest of the "Bill Could Have Afforded Him" crowd are always going to have a magical financial formula for keeping Tom.

Restructure so-and-so, cut this guy, don't resign that guy, spread out the cap hit to 2028, bla bla.....

You can post it as many times as you want but it is completely irrelevant to the point I am making. I don't think you understand that what I am proposing is a restructuring of Brady's contract, not simply keeping him here under the same deal.

My statement remains 100% true. The Patriots could have structured a new deal with Brady such that his 2020 cap hit would go down from what it ended up being. An example would be a 5 year deal with a $24 million signing bonus, vet minimum year 1 salary, with a fully guaranteed year 2 salary in the range of $20 to $25 million or so (then 3 voidable years or maybe even a club option for year 3). If they signed it before March 18, that would have resulted in a lower 2020 cap hit for Brady than they ended up actually swallowing.

(Another option would have been to give him a higher signing bonus, say $35 million, then vet minimum for year 1 and a much lower year 2 salary - say, around $10 million. That would increase the Year 1 cap hit a bit but lower year 2's hit.)

Now, you could certainly argue the above contract would just be kicking the can further down the road and would create a worse cap situation in the future, and you would probably be right. But my thesis fully stands: They could have kept Brady with a lower 2020 cap number than what they ended up swallowing.
I understand the point. Any contract can be restructured, reworked, etc.

It's blatantly obvious to me Bill didn't want to kick the can down the road.

Read the f-ing article and it does.
People like you and the rest of the "Bill Could Have Afforded Him" crowd are always going to have a magical financial formula for keeping Tom.

Restructure so-and-so, cut this guy, don't resign that guy, spread out the cap hit to 2028, bla bla.....

I read the article and it did no such thing. Pats were willing to pay him $23m for 1 year. Brady wanted a minimum 2 year commitment. The numbers were not far off. He went to Tampa for $50m for 2 years guaranteed. Pats could have signed him if they wanted and spread the hit over 3 or 4 years like they have done before.

I understand the point. Any contract can be restructured, reworked, etc.

It's blatantly obvious to me Bill didn't want to kick the can down the road.
It’s blatantly obvious Bill blew it.

I read the article and it did no such thing. Pats were willing to pay him $23m for 1 year. Brady wanted a minimum 2 year commitment. The numbers were not far off. He went to Tampa for $50m for 2 years guaranteed. Pats could have signed him if they wanted and spread the hit over 3 or 4 years like they have done before.
The $23m was a rumor. Not true. No offer was made.

The $23m was a rumor. Not true. No offer was made.

Makes no difference. We could have had Brady for $27m cap hit in 2020. That was the point. And we already had $13m in dead cap hit for him. And by forgoing Thuney (who walks now anyway!) we could have kept Brady. Hell we should have traded Thuney for a 2nd after we tagged him.

There is NO evidence to suggest Pats couldn’t have kept Brady. BB didn’t want to. Why is that so hard to acknowledge and accept?

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back