PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No Defensive Back? Strange roster decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayClay

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Just trying to figure out how we managed to lose Poteat and end up with no replacement and no DB on the practice squad.

Can Spann or Iwouma actually play DB?

Are they counting on Sanders? He looks like a midget out there. Does anyone think he has a better chance then Gus Scott or Dexter Reid.

Even with the promotion of Yates we have 3 OL on the PS.

What happened to Gene Mf#@st*ski? Is he gone?

Why do we still need 2 WR on the PS?

Thoughts?

RayClay said:
Just trying to figure out how we managed to lose Poteat and end up with no replacement and no DB on the practice squad.

Are they counting on Sanders? He looks like a midget out there. Does anyone think he has a better chance then Gus Scott or Dexter Reid.

Thoughts?

WE are fine...much better than last year with our DB's.

1) I think Spann is a find for us. I posted his Bio elsewhere today. He has size 6-0, speed - returned kicks in college and is smart.

He was practice player of the week - seems to me we have another Wright on our hands - a player far exceeding expectations, but one that will contribute at a very high level.

2) Sanders, has looked good to me. He is a Fresno State guy that seems to get it.I have no problem seeing him out there representing decent depth at the position. He is not that small 5-10 210 lbs, not huge but not tiny either.

3) Iwouma is all about special teams and with all our injuries there, he was a terrific pick up. It was awesome to be able to pick up a former special teams captain in mid season. I am not sure how much he can contribute as a CB though, besides, we don't need him, hell we have Troy Brown.

fgssand said:
WE are fine...much better than last year with our DB's.

1) I think Spann is a find for us. I posted his Bio elsewhere today. He has size 6-0, speed - returned kicks in college and is smart.

He was practice player of the week - seems to me we have another Wright on our hands - a player far exceeding expectations, but one that will contribute at a very high level.

2) Sanders, has looked good to me. He is a Fresno State guy that seems to get it.I have no problem seeing him out there representing decent depth at the position. He is not that small 5-10 210 lbs, not huge but not tiny either.

3) Iwouma is all about special teams and with all our injuries there, he was a terrific pick up. It was awesome to be able to pick up a former special teams captain in mid season. I am not sure how much he can contribute as a CB though, besides, we don't need him, hell we have Troy Brown.

We have had 2 years in a row of DB injuries. Just wondering if the unfortunate happens, where we go.

I know they tried out a lot of guys, but they might not be available if needed.

I guess Andrews is a possibility I hadn't considered. Again, we've had ST corners and safeties that were totally useless at their positions, {(Carolina Super Bowl) *shudder*}.

Just womdering why in the world we need to keep Kelvin Kight around? (I don't dare say Bam childress.:D)

Our whole OLine is young and signed for years, yet we have 3 on the PS.

A punter on the PS? Does Miller have Lou Gehrigs disease?

mike stone and dex reid are available, no? :singing:

Flying Fungi said:
mike stone and dex reid are available, no? :singing:

Apparently not high on their list considering all the DBs they tried out in the last month or so. Ventrone apparently cut loose also.

I'm sure they would pounce on one of these guys if needed.

Just bored and wondering why no DBs and why excess WRs and OL.

The punter. Miller looks better than ever. How long is this kid expected to stay on the list?

Now that the doubting Thomases are contendedly sipping their koolaid, there's nobody to fight, so this is like my things that make you go hmmmm thread.

Last edited:
Troy Brown = CB
Mike Vrabel = SS
Don Davis = SS
Eric Alexander = SS
Willie Andrews = CB
Bam Childress = CB

I miss Dan Klecko, we never had these worries when he was on the roster. :(

Box_O_Rocks said:
Troy Brown = CB
Mike Vrabel = SS
Don Davis = SS
Eric Alexander = SS
Willie Andrews = CB
Bam Childress = CB

I miss Dan Klecko, we never had these worries when he was on the roster. :(

C'mon Box, I'm seriously, (kinda), throwing some stuff against the wall.

Does BB really expect to lose 3 Olinemen, 2 receivers and the punter?

Enquiring minds want to know. Can Spann play CB?

We're gonna call and Hank won't be there.:(

Of our top five DBs, one's in a knee brace and one's in a wrist brace. Behind them we have Hawkins, Sanders, and a whole lot of guys who are probably better at other positions (whether on defense, offense, or STs).

But the thing is -- those PS guys aren't taking a spot away from Poteat, unless you think Spann shouldn't be on the roster.

Basically, we have one more DB we have confidence in (Hawkins) than we absolutely need to have play.

So how does that make DB much different from DL, LB, or WR?

Fencer said:
Of our top five DBs, one's in a knee brace and one's in a wrist brace. Behind them we have Hawkins, Sanders, and a whole lot of guys who are probably better at other positions (whether on defense, offense, or STs).

But the thing is -- those PS guys aren't taking a spot away from Poteat, unless you think Spann shouldn't be on the roster.

Basically, we have one more DB we have confidence in (Hawkins) than we absolutely need to have play.

So how does that make DB much different from DL, LB, or WR?

It's different than DL. We have 2 backups that play a fair bit and 2 who are question marks. Poteat signed with the Jets.

I hope we have nothing like the last 2 years, but I'd feel more comfortable with another possible DB.

Izzo and Davis are undersized, but could play LB in an emergency.

Actually Davis could play safety too.

I'm very optimistic, but it's slow so I'm just throwing some stuff out there.

Also, we'll be using a lot of DBs against the Colts. It's not a big deal, but stuff happens.

True concerns.
However, we can only field the best 45.
So unless we have new massive DB injuries it is too early to second guess the coach IMO.
Frankly, I shared the same concern as you.
Lets also consider Pass ... is he better and healthier than Evans...

Our secondary is fine and James Sanders isn't even close to being a midget. Honestly, are you drunk or something?

RayClay said:
C'mon Box, I'm seriously, (kinda), throwing some stuff against the wall.

Does BB really expect to lose 3 Olinemen, 2 receivers and the punter?

Enquiring minds want to know. Can Spann play CB?

We're gonna call and Hank won't be there.:(
Ach, you want to be semi-serious, well then...

- Hobbs = #1 CB
- Samuel = #2 CB
- Chad Scott = #3 CB, nickel package
- Hawkins = #4 CB
- Spann = #5 CB (He was a ball hawk in NFLE with 3 ints, he is a taller CB like Blue and Chad, but he doesn't have Chad's weight. Think about this, in 2004, about midseason, Randall "Blue" Gay was forced into the starting lineup by injury, he helped win a Superbowl playing against an injured Terrel Owens who was held scoreless. In 2005, Hobbs was forced into a starting role by injury, he helped get this defense back on it's feet and into the playoffs. As the season progressed, teams went away from him and picked on Asante Samuel (who was being picked on in the Divisional Round at Denver?).
Spann may not be the answer, but he's progressed from the Practice Squad to the Game Day Active Roster, don't discount him in the New England system.
- Iwuoma = #6 CB, he was a Special Team's Ace who won a Superbowl with Pittsburgh last season and was cut this year. He has the speed and open field tackling skills BB craves. If Blue and Hobbs and Asante can be turned into starting CBs, why not another Pittsburgh cast-off?
- Andrews #7 CB/#5 S = See Spann. Played both CB and SS at Baylor, he can tackle, he has speed to play Gunner...
- Wilson, normally #3 CB, currently restricted by hamstring injury.

- Harrison #1 SS
- Hawkins #2 SS
- Sanders #3 SS

- Wilson #1 FS (Restricted by hamstring injury)
- Hawkins #2 FS
- Sanders #3 FS
- Scott = #4 FS
- Andrews #5 FS
- Hobbs #6 FS (He played FS and nickelback in his first game back after surgery, he was healthy enough to resume his #1 CB slot. Despite whines that he had a bad game when he came back, he played a very good game when you check the tape.)

I'm a big Poteat fan after the way he came in during the playoffs in 04. The guy has heart, he is an excellent tackler (players he is covering may make a catch, but they rarely get any YAC). The depth at CB and S just worked against him. Iwuoma and Spann offered more on Special Teams. Spann offers more potential at CB. I hope he wins the FS job for the Jest, they really do need someone who doesn't know when to quite.

I'm not overly concered about the DB depth, BB has too many cross-trained personnel who can pick up the slack. Good grief, we have a first round pick in Chad Scott, when he comes into the game we don't lose much, instead the secondary gets even more physical and provides better run support. Can't kick at that.

Right now our biggest concern should be Keegs not being able to watch the game Monday night at work - you know how cranky he gets when he can't see Rodney hitting people...:eek:

RayClay said:

Thoughts?

1) Excellent question. I've asked myself - and posted - the same.

2) No, they cannot. But they can commit ST penalties, however.

3) Sanders is not a midget, but I still prefer my SSs at 6'2'', 220#. He is much better than Scott or Reid, though that is damning with faint praise. Scott and Reid were terrible draft picks who became terrible players.

4) I don't understand that one either. One of the OL should be replaced by a DB.

5) Mruc is gone for now, hopefully for good. He looked awful in the preseason games I saw.

6) I have less of a problem with 2 WRs on the PS, than I do with 3 OLmen. Perhaps when Kaczur's and Hochstein's situations are resovled (either healthy or IR), then one of those OLmen can be either dropped or promoted.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Troy Brown = CB
Mike Vrabel = SS
Don Davis = SS
Eric Alexander = SS
Willie Andrews = CB
Bam Childress = CB

:(

Surely you jest, sir.

patsox23 said:
Our secondary is fine and James Sanders isn't even close to being a midget. Honestly, are you drunk or something?

Why feel the need to disparage RayClay? He asks some interesting questions. If you can answer them, then do so, like Box has. Otherwise, please refrain from insulting his intelligence, thank you.

captain stone said:
Surely you jest, sir.
Pshaw! I, jest? Perish the thought.

Height is the most overvalued and unnecessary thing in football. I don't care if a guy is 6'4 or 5'6 in the secondary. Can he cover? Can he tackle?

If you find me a midget who can cover and tackle guys who are 6 feet tall I can care less how silly he looks. Hey I have an idea, lets go back to raising questions about Caldwell because he has bug eyes.

captain stone said:
Why feel the need to disparage RayClay? He asks some interesting questions. If you can answer them, then do so, like Box has. Otherwise, please refrain from insulting his intelligence, thank you.

I wasn't disparaging him. I genuinely thought he was drunk.

TomBrady'sGoat said:
Hey I have an idea, lets go back to raising questions about Caldwell because he has bug eyes.
I suppose he could play some DB.

patsox23 said:
I wasn't disparaging him. I genuinely thought he was drunk.

He was up pretty late last night, wasn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back