PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was pre-Covid 19. There’s a real chance the cap will decrease in 2021 because of lost revenues in 2020. The Patriots should still be in good shape, but not as good as they would have been.

I’ve heard speculation that the possibility of the cap decreasing is hurting Joe Thuney’s trade value because a long term contract would have to be part of any trade needed for the Pats to get maximum value for him. You’d think it might convince the Thuney camp to lesson his demands increasing the chances of he and the Pats doing something long-term. I’m kinda hoping that’s what happens. Thuney, the player, is a lot more valuable than the 3rd he’ll bring you in a trade at this point.

True but it will be relative at least. The cap will go down for everyone.

True but it will be relative at least. The cap will go down for everyone.
And according to Spotrac the Pats will have the 4th most salary cap space. Very nice position to be in.

Reactions: sb1
If the cap contracts the Pats will still be better off relative to the competition. The other 31 competition will be cutting lots of expensive veterans to free up cap space. Lots of one year lower cost deals for vets will become accessible to the Patriots. BB loves that stuff.

Reactions: sb1
If the cap contracts the Pats will still be better off relative to the competition. The other 31 competition will be cutting lots of expensive veterans to free up cap space. Lots of one year lower cost deals for vets will become accessible to the Patriots. BB loves that stuff.
Good stuff cheap!

Not gonna happen, but I just found this to be hilarious lol

If the league has to, it'll work something out with the NFLPA, probably involving smaller increases in the year or two after next in order to keep money from going down next season.

Signing bonus money is spread over the length of the contract, and in general is due when a player is released or cut.

The team has 18m in dead cap money from Brady and Antonio Brown alone. They were paid large signing bonuses in the past to keep their cap hits lower in those early years.

The Pats are likely getting some money once the AB grievance is completed in May. If so, it will be very helpful.. And could be why they are holding off..

Can someone please explain in simple terms why we have no cap space?

If we offloaded contracts like TB, AB, Gronk and also, any time a player "wants to get paid" they walk, like Jones/Flowers.. how do we have no money?

I feel like if you lose all your best/highest paid players it would mean you then can replace said players with the new cap room.. guess not!

We have only $25M of cap space available because we franchised Thuney instead of just letting him walk, as we all expected him to do. The $25M includes $15M of Thuney, and the $10M available through restructures (not extensions) of Gilmore, Mason and Cannon).

The Patriots will trade up for Delpit. He will be another BB second-round bust who missed 20 tackles.

The people who Disliked your post? Willfully blind, idiot homers.

If the league has to, it'll work something out with the NFLPA, probably involving smaller increases in the year or two after next in order to keep money from going down next season.

Precisely my take as well. Nothing prohibits owners and NFLPA from voting to amend their contract. If amendment is somehow NOT possible, someone named Miguel will tell us.

Rodgers to NE... can't afford nor will he leave, but it would be great just to see our AFC rivals reactions after they were finally rid of TB12.

Haven't heard anything specifically but if he was to be traded today, DET at 35, Giants at 36 make sense.

Reports were MIA discussed it but I cant see BB sending him there.
I would have but now that they drafted Tua and Austin Jackson I won’t. Lol

And according to Spotrac the Pats will have the 4th most salary cap space. Very nice position to be in.
Not really. The more cap space you have the fewer and worse the guys you have under contract are.

If BB can get an early 3rd for Thuney instead of a comp pick next year I think he pulls the trigger. That's assuming the story is true about the 2 sides being far apart on contract extension.

Can someone please explain in simple terms why we have no cap space?

If we offloaded contracts like TB, AB, Gronk and also, any time a player "wants to get paid" they walk, like Jones/Flowers.. how do we have no money?

I feel like if you lose all your best/highest paid players it would mean you then can replace said players with the new cap room.. guess not!
Your post assumes an “all things equal” qualifier.
A team that goes to 3 straight SBs and 4 in 5 years and winning 3 of them is not all things equal. Maintaining that roster is exceedingly more expensive than for other teams.
Look at it this way, leaving out the pats.

If every player suddenly became a FA and the cap remained the same his much of their roster could the chiefs retain before running out of money ? His much could the bengals or giants?

So while it doesn’t happen in one shot, this is why top teams lose players because it’s impossible to afford them all at their free market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes