PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Competition Committee not changing overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagreed with neuronet on a different issue. And I don't agree with this kind of "here is the percentage I believe supports our position, oh wait it doesn't? well the sample size was too small then" method of arguing.

We have heard many better alternatives: just about anything that is not sudden death based. MLB manages to survive just fine with full extra innings instead of "golden runs" that reward the first team up to bat. FIFA no longer uses the "golden goal" system, the NBA has always played an extra period which doesn't end on the first basket. Only the NHL uses a sudden death format, but hockey is a continuous game where posession changes quickly, and the face-off is not a simple coin-flip.

It seems the reasons for sudden death, as advocated, are TV schedules and NFL fantasy players. Yet both seem to manage just fine with MLB. Also as a fan I couldn't care less about their problems.

The biggest reason for sudden death overtime is to make OT shorter. The shorter the overtime, the less likely guys are to get injured.

I agree with Belichick, a Condensed OT (ex: 10min) would be fine.

I don't understand why the NFL doesn't just copy the overtime format from other sports??? They copy 4 quarters. The NBA, and MLB have an OT system where NOBODY complains.

A Condensed OT period, where the winner is the team with the highest score at the end of regulation. 10min is nothing when thinking about injuries. They used to play 14 games...and are now thinking about 18 game season. And just like in Baseball, if you're worried about injuries, then don't play your best guys, knowing that it gives you more of a chance to lose.

According to a poll on another website, More than half of NFL fans complain about its overtime. This means that there is definitely a problem.

I think that NFL OT is the stupidest rule of all of sports.

I've always felt that the extra point kicks after a TD are a waste. I mean, whats the percentage of misses there? It's nothing more than in game practice for Fg kickers to loosen up. You might just as well give them 7 points for the TD and don't bother wasting anyones time there. If these were eliminated, we'd have either 6 points for a TD or 8 if you were successful on the 2pt conversion.

IMO, it would add excitement to the game and there would be far fewer ties.

Belichick has commented on the extra point. He said that back in the day it was fine because it was more like 90-93% (I think), so it actually mattered. But, kicker accuracy has increased so much that the PAT conversion is around 99% now. He recommended that the PAT be moved back 5-10 yards to lower this number. I like this idea.

Belichick has commented on the extra point. He said that back in the day it was fine because it was more like 90-93% (I think), so it actually mattered. But, kicker accuracy has increased so much that the PAT conversion is around 99% now. He recommended that the PAT be moved back 5-10 yards to lower this number. I like this idea.

I'd never heard that. That is a good idea, but it would make 2 point conversions very difficult.... unless you keep the 2 pt attempt at the same spot, but that could get conviluted.

Last edited:
I'd never heard that. That is a good idea, but it would make 2 point conversions very difficult.... unless you keep the 2 pt attempt at the same spot, but that could get conviluted.

That's true. I think he also mentioned moving the field goal posts closer also. That's an alternative that would get rid of that difficulty. Overall, I'm pretty sure he just wants to make all kicks in the NFL more difficult.

That's true. I think he also mentioned moving the field goal posts closer also. That's an alternative that would get rid of that difficulty. Overall, I'm pretty sure he just wants to make all kicks in the NFL more difficult.

Well, there was a Pats game in Buffalo that had moving goal posts. As I recall, kicking was rather difficult in that game ;)

As posted earlier in the thread 40%+ of OT games are decided by the opening drive by the team who wins the toss. 60%+ are won by the team who wins the toss.

Doesn't that seem to you like an unfair advantage for winning a 50:50 coin toss?

Move the kickoff back 10 yards to where it originally was, and the odds go back to 50/50. Problem solved.

Just as a followup, Colts.com has written about the committee discussion:

But Polian said the players involved in the meetings also liked the competitive, on-field aspects of the system.

“I think they all felt it's an exciting part of our game,” he said. “One thing that (Tennessee Titans center Kevin Mawae) repeated on a couple of occasions was, 'Our game can end on one play.'

Said NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson, “I, myself, was a little surprised at how adamant the players were about not wanting to change the current overtime system and agreeing with Rich's assessment that they say, 'Look, the excitement is there, everyone has got an opportunity to win this thing in regulation.' They were pretty adamant that extended play time, when you're playing 20 games, exposes you to injury risk, and they'd just as soon say, 'Let's battle it out during regulation, and if you can't win it in regulation, you take your chances in overtime. But we like it the way it is.'”

The Official Website of the Indianapolis Colts

I'd like to have two 5 min quarters so both teams get the ball with time..have fewer timeouts allowed so that the game would be more rapid paced...10 min quarters and after that..it's a tie...MIGHT take up 30 minutes...but not longer. I understand about networks and such..THAt is important but the way it is now is unfair..I'd rather have ties than what they have now.

More than half of NFL fans complain about its overtime. This means that there is definitely a problem.

Not necessarily. Remember when everyone complained about the tuck rule? I think it's a good enough rule. Fans can be a mob of idiots after all.

what about a rule that says the 4th quarter can not end in a tie.
The 4th quarter only ends when there is a decided winner and the
quarter has lasted at least 15 minutes.

No kick offs - no coin toss - just keep playing.

Last edited:
It gets resolved by an inherently unfair system. There's nothing that can be done, because they can't wait another week and play again. The closest thing to a 'fair' solution is to keep ties during the regular season and only use an overtime in the playoffs. Since that's not going to happen, let them make any little tweaks they want, but don't expect that you'll ever completely eliminate the unfairness.

Sudden death favors the winner of the coin toss. First to 6 points would still favor the winner of the coin toss, especially when the better offensive team wins the toss. Half a full period would favor both the coin toss winner and a grind-it-out sort of team. A full overtime period would favor the team which plays a style that doesn't tire out its players as much, etc.... There's no way to make a truly outcome-neutral overtime.
I agree with eliminating regular season OT. What they should do for postseason is eliminate sudden death. Let each period be either 10 minutes or at least two possessions. Or else perhaps a full 15 minute OT period and then play sudden death after that.

I agree with eliminating regular season OT. What they should do for postseason is eliminate sudden death. Let each period be either 10 minutes or at least two possessions. Or else perhaps a full 15 minute OT period and then play sudden death after that.

+1

THe only modification I'd suggest would be to make it mandatory during the 10 minute Fifth Period to score a TD or safety, no girly mon FGs allowed. Were the game to continue, then Suddden Death by any means necessary.

+1

THe only modification I'd suggest would be to make it mandatory during the 10 minute Fifth Period to score a TD or safety, no girly mon FGs allowed. Were the game to continue, then Suddden Death by any means necessary.

You're both ending up where they already are. The only difference is that the players get pounded on more before you get there. Sudden death still ends up as the solution, so there's no sense prolonging the game and having tired players risking more injuries.

what about a rule that says the 4th quarter can not end in a tie.
The 4th quarter only ends when there is a decided winner and the
quarter has lasted at least 15 minutes.

No kick offs - no coin toss - just keep playing.

Interesting idea, but then 4th quarter clock management would go all crazy. Imagine the Pats score to tie it up with 30 seconds to go. The other team gets the ball, brings it to the 50 yard line really quickly. Oh, wait, They don't need to move fast because the game will just keep going.

That seems like it is giving a huge advantage to the team that has the ball as the "traditional" clock runs down. This seems wrong. Either keep it the way it is, or play one full quarter. After one full quarter if it is a tie, then it's a tie.

At any rate, sudden death is better than having them keep playing and risk injury. These guys play their asses off for us, cut 'em some slack let 'em go home after the first score in OT. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents