PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

⇉ Proposed Rule Changes for 2023 ⇇

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So far there have been multiple proposed rule changes for the 2023 season... Some good, some not so good... They include:
  • 3rd coaches challenge if one of the first two, instead of both, are successful - Lions
  • Expand the list of penalties the replay officials can consult on for penalty enforcement - Lions
  • Allow personal fouls eligible for coaches challenge - Lions
  • Allow Replay Officials to review failed 4th down conversions - Texans
  • Expand the crackback block to include backs in motion - jete
  • Make the number 0 available to all positions, except for OL/DL - Eagles
    Return of 3rd, or emergency, QB rule - Lions
    Create just one off-season cut down date, from 90 to 53 - multiple teams (25 to be exact)
    Playoff seeding - seed wild card teams higher than division winners in the playoffs if the division winner had a losing record and the wild card team had at least four more wins than the division winner. - Chargers
    On-sides kick alternative - allow teams to keep possession with a 4th & 20 conversion from their own 20-yard line immediately after a score.- Eagles
  • Clock - game clocks to display tenths of a second in the final 30 seconds of each half - Eagles
Feel free to read the NFL release explaining the proposals:

Don't think they will change replay
Do think the cut down date rule will change
Don't think the 4th & 20 conversion will pass
Do think the crackback block rule will be expanded
Don't think the seeding rule will change
Not sure about the clock rule, but its interesting to ponder...

Thoughts, opinions?

I'm surprised it was the Chargers and not the Cowboys who suggested the seeding change, given Dallas had that exact scenario. Oddly enough, it didn't matter and they still won pretty handily. Still, I'm actually in favor of seeding being purely record based, so the suggestion is conservative to me. Also don't think it passes though.

I'm surprised it was the Chargers and not the Cowboys who suggested the seeding change, given Dallas had that exact scenario. Oddly enough, it didn't matter and they still won pretty handily. Still, I'm actually in favor of seeding being purely record based, so the suggestion is conservative to me. Also don't think it passes though.
Eh, division winners deserve home playoff games regardless of their record imo...

Eh, division winners deserve home playoff games regardless of their record imo...

I won't derail the thread with a sidetrack on one issue, but to me if you won a division with a losing record it's even LESS impressive than usual. Did Tampa Bay deserve a home playoff game for being better than New Orleans, Carolina, and Atlanta last year? I'm fine giving them a playoff spot in general over a wild card team with a higher record, but once the seven teams are set, seed by record IMO.

1) Let teams challenge in the last two minutes
2) LEt teams use their challenges for anything, including penalties that weren't called. They do it for 12 men on the field, do it for "judgement calls" like OPI, DPI if they are egregious enough.

I won't derail the thread with a sidetrack on one issue, but to me if you won a division with a losing record it's even LESS impressive than usual. Did Tampa Bay deserve a home playoff game for being better than New Orleans, Carolina, and Atlanta last year? I'm fine giving them a playoff spot in general over a wild card team with a higher record, but once the seven teams are set, seed by record IMO.
you aren't derailing anything, its quite on topic...

divisions are up and down, yet its rare for a losing team to win a title... Keeps them trying to win knowing there might be a home playoff game at the end of the road, instead of just giving up and jockeying for draft position... My 2¢ on the matter at hand

you aren't derailing anything, its quite on topic...

divisions are up and down, yet its rare for a losing team to win a title... Keeps them trying to win knowing there might be a home playoff game at the end of the road, instead of just giving up and jockeying for draft position... My 2¢ on the matter at hand

I'm not sure there's any team that would be in contention for a playoff spot (division title or otherwise) who would decide a higher draft pick was better, even if that playoff game was on the road. Again, using the Tampa example, imagine Todd Bowles going to TOM BRADY and saying, "Look Tom, I know you want to win, but if we win this crap division we're going to have to play on the road in the playoffs anyway, so we're just going to tank so we can take CJ Stroud instead, cool? Cool."

I'm not sure there's any team that would be in contention for a playoff spot (division title or otherwise) who would decide a higher draft pick was better, even if that playoff game was on the road. Again, using the Tampa example, imagine Todd Bowles going to TOM BRADY and saying, "Look Tom, I know you want to win, but if we win this crap division we're going to have to play on the road in the playoffs anyway, so we're just going to tank so we can take CJ Stroud instead, cool? Cool."
Brady is an outlier though, isn't he? granted, my scenario is taken to the extreme, but I could see mickey Loomis telling Dennis Allen that though, if they were in a similar situation...

Brady is an outlier though, isn't he? granted, my scenario is taken to the extreme, but I could see mickey Loomis telling Dennis Allen that though, if they were in a similar situation...

Fair enough, Brady IS an outlier (in most cases). And it seems like the league at large agrees with you as it's been that way for 60 years or however long it's been.

So far there have been multiple proposed rule changes for the 2023 season... Some good, some not so good... They include:
  • 3rd coaches challenge if one of the first two, instead of both, are successful - Lions
  • Expand the list of penalties the replay officials can consult on for penalty enforcement - Lions
  • Allow personal fouls eligible for coaches challenge - Lions
  • Allow Replay Officials to review failed 4th down conversions - Texans
  • Expand the crackback block to include backs in motion - jete
  • Make the number 0 available to all positions, except for OL/DL - Eagles
    Return of 3rd, or emergency, QB rule - Lions
    Create just one off-season cut down date, from 90 to 53 - multiple teams (25 to be exact)
    Playoff seeding - seed wild card teams higher than division winners in the playoffs if the division winner had a losing record and the wild card team had at least four more wins than the division winner. - Chargers
    On-sides kick alternative - allow teams to keep possession with a 4th & 20 conversion from their own 20-yard line immediately after a score.- Eagles
  • Clock - game clocks to display tenths of a second in the final 30 seconds of each half - Eagles
Feel free to read the NFL release explaining the proposals:

Don't think they will change replay
Do think the cut down date rule will change
Don't think the 4th & 20 conversion will pass
Do think the crackback block rule will be expanded
Don't think the seeding rule will change
Not sure about the clock rule, but its interesting to ponder...

Thoughts, opinions?

My head is spinning trying to retain all the NFL rules changes proposal..As always thank you for posting great material for us fans!

My thoughts are how many of those situations will actually come in to play during the season? And or actually pass?

Again thank you!

How about leave the rules alone for a decade or two?

I swear, this game is going to turn into Calvinball before the end of the 2020's.

calvinball_1.jpg

Surprised it wasn't "Team with a 27-0 lead near the end of the first half in a wild card game automatically wins the game" - Chargers

:D

Rather than re-seed ... Drop the Wildcards entirely.

Win Your Division
Win Your Conference
Win the Super Bowl

Say no to Wildcard participation awards.

I actually kinda like...All of them.

Except the on-sides kick-off alternative, of course.

So we are stuck with the Eagles fecking rugby automatic 1st down play for another season??!!!

I do not get why so many people hate the idea of charging the onside kick rules. I think a 4th and 20 when there is under 5 minutes in the 4th would create interesting strategies

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back