PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England Patriots and the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyBlueCat

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Our team has been to 10 Super Bowls and has earned a 5-5 record.

All of them have been winnable except when they faced the Bears. (46-10 loss)

Conversely all of them could have ended in defeat.

We could be 9-1 or we could be 0-10 - the laughing stock of the nation...

Our team has been to 10 Super Bowls and has earned a 5-5 record.

All of them have been winnable except when they faced the Bears. (46-10 loss)

Conversely all of them could have ended in defeat.

We could be 9-1 or we could be 0-10 - the laughing stock of the nation...

Football at playoff level is like that mostly. San Fran’s Super Bowls with Montana could have been 0-4 and the Steelers bowls were really close too.
I’ve been telling people at work it’s not like you can win them all. They say Montana did and I tell them to tell me his record once he plays in four more

Football at playoff level is like that mostly. San Fran’s Super Bowls with Montana could have been 0-4 and the Steelers bowls were really close too.
I’ve been telling people at work it’s not like you can win them all. They say Montana did and I tell them to tell me his record once he plays in four more

Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler all never lost Super Bowls either.

Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler all never lost Super Bowls either.

I heard Montana on the radio and they asked him if he could have went 8-0 if he played in that many. He said probably not. I thought it was an elegant answer.

Teams hardly ever blow each other out in the super bowl . The bears killed us but then never went back with the same players.

If the best 2 teams face each other enough you'd think it would eventually average out to be around .500.

.500 in super bowl games sounds right. There’s not too many teams who make it there by luck so it’s usually wildly good teams. I’ve seen so many decided on one mistake

The idea is that the Super Bowl is an attempt to match the two best teams (or at least two of the best) in the league in the championship game. That doesn't always work out of course, but over the long haul, yeah, it's pretty reasonable. Maybe not always THE two best, but usually two OF the best.

When Montana was playing, the NFC was so dominant that the two best teams (usually like the best four teams) were all in the NFC. SF, Was, NYG, Chi - those were the powerhouses in the NFL at the time. So we can say that Brady has been to more Super Bowls than Montana, and that's true, but that's because Montana had a harder road to go to get there, and an EASIER time ONCE they got there. So if you factor in conference championships AND Super Bowls, here are their records:

Montana
- Conf Championships: 4-3
- Super Bowls: 4-0
- TOTAL: 8-3 (.727)

Brady
- Conf Championships: 8-4
- Super Bowls: 5-3
- TOTAL: 13-7 (.650)

So Montana's record is better, but Brady's totals are more impressive.

Another way to look at it is this: Montana went to the playoffs 11 seasons (9 with SF, 2 with KC). Of those 11 seasons, he won 4 Super Bowls. That means he won the Super Bowl 36% of the times he went to the playoffs. And he went to at least the Conference Championship 7 out of 11 seasons (64% of the time).

Brady has gone to the playoffs 15 seasons. Of those 15, he's won 5 Super Bowls, meaning he's won the Super Bowl 33% of the times he's gone to the playoffs. And he has gone to at least the Conference Championship 12 out of 15 seasons (80% of the time).

Look, the two greatest QBs of all time have a terrific postseason record combined:
- Brady: 27-10
- Montana: 16-7
- TOT: 43-17 (.717)

That's astounding. But even the two greatest QBs in history - with legendary coaches and franchises around them - have won just 9 Super Bowls in a combined 30 years (not counting the years they were hurt, or like when Brady was a rookie and never played).

It's supposed to be HARD to win a championship. That's why it's sooooooo sweet when you do. If the NFL was a best 2 out of 3, I think the Brady Patriots would be 7-1 in Super Bowls - losing to St. Louis, but winning the rest. But it's not. It's one-and-done, and as we've seen countless times, in a one-game scenario, quite often the lesser team and lesser QB wins. It's just a reality. And when you have two terrific teams going at it on a neutral field, it should be around 50-50, or close enough so that yeah, Brady being 5-3 is just about right.

Not true. Montana's 49ers blew out the Dolphins and the Broncos. Those games were NOT winnable for he opponent.

Yeah I forgot about those two, what about Bradshaw? I’d like the pats to win by twenty or so in the super bowl just once

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes