New breed of NFL player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Source: Shaun Rogers a no-show for Cleveland Browns workouts - ESPN

Is this becoming a trend?

Do players think that besides being paid a kazillion bucks, they have to be treated like prima donnas, that everyone has to acknowledge them as special?

Or is this all about money? It is a fact that a player gets a signing bonus to start a contract, and if they are cut, they get another signing bonus with another team.

So are these guys truly upset to the point where they are acting more like high school girls than men, or are they just using this as an excuse to get more money?

I didn't care for Meion shooting his way out of town, nor do I care much for the greed of players demanding more money after signing a contract, but at least they are being honest.

If Cutler and Rogers are making up a tiff so they can get more money without being honest about it, I will lose total respect for them. Not that I have a lot anyway....

Do players think that besides being paid a kazillion bucks, they have to be treated like prima donnas, that everyone has to acknowledge them as special?

Or is this all about money? It is a fact that a player gets a signing bonus to start a contract, and if they are cut, they get another signing bonus with another team.

So are these guys truly upset to the point where they are acting more like high school girls than men, or are they just using this as an excuse to get more money?

I didn't care for Meion shooting his way out of town, nor do I care much for the greed of players demanding more money after signing a contract, but at least they are being honest.

If Cutler and Rogers are making up a tiff so they can get more money without being honest about it, I will lose total respect for them. Not that I have a lot anyway....
This is teh fat cat primadonna player...I think many fans see this and NOW so blatantly..hopefully a dying breed...What is so bad about Cutler is that he WANTED to be traded before teh whole Cassel situation...once his OC was gone he started whining.

Baseball players have been skipping spring training for 15 years. I don't see Rogers being a problem.

I hope that the Patriots don't have a few of these.

Baseball players have been skipping spring training for 15 years. I don't see Rogers being a problem.
Players in our sports in Australia are openly chastised in public forums by supporters if they even consider something like this.

It doesn't happen in the AFL (Aussie Rules) and Rugby League has in effect banned Sonny Bill Williams from ever playing in the country again.

These are VOLUNTARY workouts.

Look up what that word means.

These are VOLUNTARY workouts.

Look up what that word means.

These are also workouts where new HC's (hired because those same personnel were not winning based on talent alone...) begin to install their systems and if their top tier earners don't want to be leaders and winners to whom football matters it's probably time to move away from maintaining them on the roster let alone overcompensating them for being somewhat athletically gifted...

Although in Tubby Ratfink's case he has a well established track record of almost cavalierly alienating veterans under the guise of changing the culture in part because he has a more over inflated ego than any of them...

And please, don't compare baseball to football. Bill did a couple of minutes on the under appreciated significance of each moving part in relation to the other on WEEI yesterday in between Peppers and Cassel talk...

Forgive him. He's doing this TO MANGINI!

These are also workouts where new HC's (hired because those same personnel were not winning based on talent alone...) begin to install their systems and if their top tier earners don't want to be leaders and winners to whom football matters it's probably time to move away from maintaining them on the roster let alone overcompensating them for being somewhat athletically gifted...

And thats irrelevant. The CBA specifically states that these have to be voluntary. IE, theres nothing wrong with not showing up. You can not hold players accountable for not showing up. Its written into their contracts.

And thats irrelevant. The CBA specifically states that these have to be voluntary. IE, theres nothing wrong with not showing up. You can not hold players accountable for not showing up. Its written into their contracts.

Which CBA?

You cannot require them to show or penalize them financially if they don't, but you sure as hell can hold them accountable for their choices...

And it's not irrelevant. You're trying to compare apples and oranges.

ahhh synovia

VINO is not a distilled spirit.

VINO= Voluntary In Name Only.

These are actually VINO workouts and they do help separate wheat from chaff.

not sure how new this is. & compared to, say, basketball, football players have way less pull & make less money. not to justify the cutlers & rogers of the league, but the lack of guaranteed contracts creates a very different workplace dynamics.

and besides, the best part of this story is that Fatgini has an escalating headache in cleveland.

As long as the Pats don't have any of these guys, I don't care.

Also, I think Cutler's is equal parts a) an immature egotist, and b) painfully aware of how short his career might be, on account of his diabetes. Trying to get as much money as possible while he's young as a result. I wouldn't hold him up a standard of a 'new breed' of player. There have always been guys like him, just like there have always been guys like Brady and Manning. There's a reason why the latter group wins, and the former group doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back