PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE/SD Points for & against analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswlek

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Now that my schtick has been largely rendered useless by CHFF's "relativity score", I decided to change this year's analysis up a little bit. I am going to grade out each team since week 12 of the regular season. Why? Because SD's winning streak and NE's first tight game - along with the season ending drop in winning margin - both happened to begin at this time. The other reason to not even bother with the entire season figures is because it should be perfectly obvious to all that NE would grade out with a huge advantage.

For those that aren't familiar with this type of analysis, I go into detail on the mechanics in the original edition found here.

Alright, here we go

SD
PF - 28.5 vs. 22.1 ~ +6.4
PA - 13.1 vs. 19.5 ~ +6.4
Total score ~ 12.8

NE
PF - 29.4 vs. 21.4 ~ +8
PA - 19.6 vs. 20.7 ~ +1.1
Total score ~ 9.1

To my surprise, the Chargers do grade out as a better team than NE over the final six games and into the playoffs. Obviously it needs to be taken into consideration that we are comparing NE's worst stretch of games with SD's best, but it is still noteworthy and contributes to my thinking that this game is going to go against NE's prior trend of improved play when facing a team for a second time. I doubt very much that this game is over at halftime like the first one.

I also looked at the home/road split within these numbers.

SD on the road
PF - 26.3 vs. 20.2 ~ +6.1
PA - 17 vs. 19.7 ~ +2.7
Total score ~ 8.8

NE at home
PF - 28.2 vs. 20.8 ~ +7.4
PA - 15.6 vs. 21 ~ +5.4
Total score ~ 12.8

While both SD's and NE's offenses grade out similarly whether on the road or at home, you can see a sizable dropoff on SD's defense and a corresponding improvement to NE's D. Again, this is during SD's best and NE's worst. Not a good trend at all for SD, even without their injuries and NE having a recent week off.

Other notes and considerations

Since I am not doing a full season run, sample size proves to be an issue. For example, SD's demolition of Detroit accounts for a whopping 38% of their positive offensive score! Excluding that game, SD's offensive score would drop from +6.4 to +4, essentially closing the gap between the first set of scores above. While the same thing is true for NE, they didn't have a single game that they outperformed the opposing averages by that much. The biggest one was the Giants game, where they scored 38 points on a defense that allowed 21.9 on the season. Excluding that game, NE's offensive score drops from +8 to +6.7, or 16%. Not only is it a lesser drop, but NE played one less game, which should actually increase the likelihood of one single number affecting the total. NE has clearly been the more consistent team over that stretch.

Another thing to take not of for the defense worriers (of which I am a fence sitter) is that, other than the Philly game, NE's defense has held every team below their season average by a wide margin at home. Now, I take the position that NE's offense is a primary reason for this, both by eating up clock and by forcing other teams out of their comfort zone. But it still should be noted.

I have further thoughts on this game, particularly SD's defense in the playoffs, which I think despite grading out positively, has actually been quite poor, but I will post them in a later thread in order to avoid having too much in one thread.

Last edited:
I have further thoughts on this game, particularly SD's defense in the playoffs, which I think despite grading out positively, has actually been quite poor, but I will post them in a later thread in order to avoid having too much in one thread.

Yeah, I think you need context to get the full picture:
Holding Indy to 24 = :)
Allowing Indy 8 quality drives (40+ yards) = :eek:
Allowing Indy to cross midfield on every drive but the last one = :eek:

I just saw the weather report. 22 mph winds, 20 degrees F. I actually think this favors the Pats. The Pats are a better running team, and better at stopping the run, than SD. Brady knows how to take care of the ball under those conditions. Rivers with his Pennington arm does not. However the Chargers youth at LB will help them keep their energy high vs the Pats older LB corps + Rodney.

I'm not sure the past is prologue here. The weather conditions will be very unusual. The only thing I can bank on is that Brady is our Qb, and he wins big games.

I also have a strange feeling that Meriweather will make an INT. What irony that would be.

I just saw the weather report. 22 mph winds, 20 degrees F. I actually think this favors the Pats. The Pats are a better running team, and better at stopping the run, than SD. Brady knows how to take care of the ball under those conditions. Rivers with his Pennington arm does not. However the Chargers youth at LB will help them keep their energy high vs the Pats older LB corps + Rodney.

I'm not sure the past is prologue here. The weather conditions will be very unusual. The only thing I can bank on is that Brady is our Qb, and he wins big games.

I also have a strange feeling that Meriweather will make an INT. What irony that would be.

Did you type that^ with a straight face? Come on, your team has alot of advantages, but the running game isnt one of them. We're ranked 7th in the league and you are 13th. We have the best RB in football, you have Maroney. Where are you getting this nonsense from? If anything, the weather will be in our favor.

I predicted Meriweather would have a game ending INT the other nite, as it turned out, he dropped one and Harrison ended up being the guy to do that. Meriweather has been very active recently, he's laid out a couple players, he's been good in coverage as far as I can tell, I feel very comfortable anytime I see him on the field.

Did you type that^ with a straight face? Come on, your team has alot of advantages, but the running game isnt one of them. We're ranked 7th in the league and you are 13th. We have the best RB in football, you have Maroney.
Their YPC are very close, when you factor in Tomlinson not being 100% there's an argument to be made. Football Outsiders' stats show that Tomlinson has been more valuable than Maroney but Maroney is far more consistent - now that he's starting to make big runs too, it's closer - and the health may push it over the top.

Regardless of that, for weather in general our passing game should be hurt less due due players being used to it, Brady having a better arm than Rivers and the Patriots having more short pass options especially with Gates hurting.

Did you type that^ with a straight face? Come on, your team has alot of advantages, but the running game isnt one of them. We're ranked 7th in the league and you are 13th. We have the best RB in football, you have Maroney. Where are you getting this nonsense from? If anything, the weather will be in our favor.

Yeah, because being in San Diego prepares you for below freezing temps. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you have a better running attack, I agree. But ours is not atrocious, and it's hitting it's stride. You may have LT over our Marony, but we have Bill Belichick over your Norv Turner, and Tom Brady over your Phillip Rivers. I'll take the superior QB and coach over a singe skill player anyday.

yeah, just like jacksonville.......blahblahblahblah.........
how about putting that great run game to good use and run and fetch me their running stats.
my only question going into this game is whether you'll be posting here afterwards, or disappearing like the rest.

so far, what I've noticed is that there are quite a few teams that beat the crap out of the pats the week before they play, and yet they still seem to maintain a pretty good record.

edit: while I've got you on that research assignment, how about fetching me the running stats from week 2.
oh, wait...what am I thinking ---- that game didn't count.
sorry, I forgot about that for a minute.

Last edited:

Like you fools play in 15Deg weather, snow, blowing winds often. When you played the one game in rain vs Colts, you handed them the game despite 6 ints.

Your team has about as much chance of winning in 15F weather as Tampa Bay used to have when travelling up north for Playoffs

Like you fools play in 15Deg weather, snow, blowing winds often. When you played the one game in rain vs Colts, you handed them the game despite 6 ints.

Your team has about as much chance of winning in 15F weather as Tampa Bay used to have when travelling up north for Playoffs

Actually, we won that game against Indy in the rain....remember?
You obviously didnt even read the post that I was responding to. Which said, NE has a better running game than SD....and that would favor NE in the cold weather. Now, does NE have a better running game? No. That's like me saying we have a better passing game than you. We all know its not true, so just call it what it is. And the only time LT is truley "inconsistant" is when opposing teams stack the box....which lately is often when you have a RB like LT in the backfield.

Yeah, because being in San Diego prepares you for below freezing temps. :rolleyes:

Seriously, you have a better running attack, I agree. But ours is not atrocious, and it's hitting it's stride. You may have LT over our Marony, but we have Bill Belichick over your Norv Turner, and Tom Brady over your Phillip Rivers. I'll take the superior QB and coach over a singe skill player anyday.

Ugh. Again another poster missing the point. Who said anything about "preparing" for freezing temps. Im sure SD will just stay on the sideline, next to the heaters, and just perish from the cold. :rolleyes:
And by the way, I dont think Maroney is atrocious. I think he's pretty middle of the road, average back. But that's fine, you have the edge for QB and Coach. But let's not start with the NE has a better run game baloney.

Ugh. Again another poster missing the point. Who said anything about "preparing" for freezing temps. Im sure SD will just stay on the sideline, next to the heaters, and just perish from the cold. :rolleyes:
And by the way, I dont think Maroney is atrocious. I think he's pretty middle of the road, average back. But that's fine, you have the edge for QB and Coach. But let's not start with the NE has a better run game baloney.

I think in the playoffs we do have a better running game.

still waiting on those stats, smart guy..........:blahblah:

Actually, we won that game against Indy in the rain....remember?
You obviously didnt even read the post that I was responding to. Which said, NE has a better running game than SD....and that would favor NE in the cold weather. Now, does NE have a better running game? No. That's like me saying we have a better passing game than you. We all know its not true, so just call it what it is. And the only time LT is truley "inconsistant" is when opposing teams stack the box....which lately is often when you have a RB like LT in the backfield.

you won only b/c Vinateri missed a chip shot. Despite getting 6 ints your teams was handing the game to the Colts on a platter.

Your QB sure played a masterful game in that Colts win

still waiting on those stats, smart guy..........:blahblah:

Im not your Biatch...get your own stats. And you want to compare who has a better running game based on a single game performance?? So, by your logic if Rivers had more yards than Brady is a single game, we would have the better passing game? You are a mental giant, smart guy.

you won only b/c Vinateri missed a chip shot. Despite getting 6 ints your teams was handing the game to the Colts on a platter.

Your QB sure played a masterful game in that Colts win

Never said he did. What point are you feabaly attempting to make? We also beat the Colts in their house. So? The discussion was about better running games. Stay focused.

According to football outsiders the Rushing attack of the Pats is #1 and San Diego #11. That leaves out the question as to how healthy is LT also. Patriots have a very good running game.

IF the wind is so bad neither team can throw at all then it favors the Chargers only because both teams will stop the run and the game is a toss up. Outside of that the Pats will win this game. So in the argument IF both teams can't throw then both teams running games will suck as the defense will play everyone to stop the run. On a normal day with normal weathe the Pats run offense is better than San Diegos, they have the best offense of all-time, people think it's solely because of the pass but its not.

Fine, I'll rephrase. How does a few days in the cold straight off the plane from California, compare to living months (at least) in a cold region like New England? You claimed the Chargers have the advantage because it will be windy and cold. Both teams have to play on the same field, but the Chargers call Southern California home. I would say that any advantage in cold conditions goes to a team that dwells in those conditions.

Never said he did. What point are you feabaly attempting to make? We also beat the Colts in their house. So? The discussion was about better running games. Stay focused.

:rofl: :rofl:

focus on this:
best rb in football: 18 carries for 43 yds + 0 td = 18/43(lol)/0 (< 3 ypc)
maroney 15 for 77 + morris 10 for 51 and a td = 25/128/1 (> 5 ypc)

see if you can figure out which is better
lolz

wait....here's an extra credit:

taylor: 13 carries for 47 yds + mojo's 6/19 = 19/66/0 (~3.5 ypc)
maroney 22 for 122 and a td = 22/122/1 (~5.5 ypc)

:bricks:

go back to mowing lawns and leave the football to the football fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST