PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock Draft 2.0: Bush still No. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Manny Lawson in Round 1? Others have said it too. But,
I see him as this year's Demarcus Ware. Who went 12 last year.
Or, at worse. Jason Babin who went in Round 1 two years ago.
I can live with a cb early. I hope we concentrate on defense.
I don't like the wr's this year. I think our OL is fine if we keep
a couple of our own. Like Neal and Ashworth.

There's not much difference between the bottom 1/3 players and round 2. If Belichick doesn't trade up for a player he feels is a must, I see him trading out of the 1st round.

The only players I envision B trading up for are LenDale White and Winston Justice. 2 players who would fit in well and would cost little to move up for.

Two areas that I see where the Pats must improve is

a.) A playmaker in the secondary
1a.) Improving the OL. Especially the right side.

In this draft I only see 2 real playmakers in the secondary that could make an immediate impact as rookies. Huff and Simpson. Huff should be gone by the time we pick. Simpson should be there when we pick. The problem is Ko plays FS and we have Wilson there. Granted Wilson's play slipped badly in 2005, but does that warrant a change at that position, not hardly at this point. Can Simpson play SS? It's hard to project him there at this piont. After his pro day workout, we'll have more imformation from which to make that projection.

Plenty of OL options. So many in fact that BB could trade down into the early part of the second round and pick up a #1 for 2007 while still getting someone of excellent value there.

lol noones going to give a future first rounder, and a early second rounder for the 21st pick, whos that stupid?

mavfan2390 said:
lol noones going to give a future first rounder, and a early second rounder for the 21st pick, whos that stupid?

umm...the Baltimore Ravens?

2003 draft, Patriots send #19 to Baltimore for #40 and their 2004 #1.

Ironically, most of the draft "experts" bashed the Patriots for that trade.

wow, I stand correct, the ravens are that stupid, didn't know that, but in a draft such as this, where the talent pool is deep, i dont see that happening again

(ochmed Jones) "The problem is Ko plays FS and we have Wilson there. Granted Wilson's play slipped badly in 2005, but does that warrant a change at that position, not hardly at this point."

How do you justify saying that Wilsons play slipped badly? I thought the secondary did an admirable job, especially wilson, considering the fact that almost EVERYONE he played with ended up getting injured. His responsibilities increased and he didnt implode at all. So, saying badly is a pretty big dramatization.
gms. tckles int.
2004 New England Patriots 15 67 4
2005 New England Patriots 16 68 1

He played injured and aside from missing out on 3 ints. not much changed. Sorry, I know its off topic, but bashing Wilsons efforts last yr. isnt really understandable. No one dominated in the turnover category, no one.

holyredeemer said:
(ochmed Jones) "The problem is Ko plays FS and we have Wilson there. Granted Wilson's play slipped badly in 2005, but does that warrant a change at that position, not hardly at this point."

How do you justify saying that Wilsons play slipped badly? I thought the secondary did an admirable job, especially wilson, considering the fact that almost EVERYONE he played with ended up getting injured. His responsibilities increased and he didnt implode at all. So, saying badly is a pretty big dramatization.
gms. tckles int.
2004 New England Patriots 15 67 4
2005 New England Patriots 16 68 1

He played injured and aside from missing out on 3 ints. not much changed. Sorry, I know its off topic, but bashing Wilsons efforts last yr. isnt really understandable. No one dominated in the turnover category, no one.

IMO, he felt the loss of Rodney keenly, wasn't able to assume a leadership role through the middle of the season and appeared to suffer from a lack of confidence. Didn't recover until the front 7 solidified and Hawkins came on board. He recovered nicely by the end of the season and hopefully will continue next year, but we may have seen his limitations.

IMO we havent seen his limitations quite yet. He's still learning the safety position and this yr he will be ready and more prepared if the hell hole of last yrs. secondary occurs again. IMO we are set at FS, and if anything else we need to add a SS with a vicious attitude and hard hitting, ball hawking skills. Guess that is alot easier said then done isnt it?:)

Last edited:
holyredeemer said:
IMO we havent seen his limitations quite yet. He's still learning the safety position and this yr he will be ready and more prepared if the hell hole of last yrs. secondary occurs again. IMO we are set at FS, and if anything else we need to add a SS with a vicious attitude and hard hitting, ball hawking skills. Guess that is alot easier said then done isnt it?:)

Shouldn't be too difficult. It seems that every year there are a lot of KO artists coming out at safety, and a lack of cover guys and solid tacklers. And they can usually be taken day two. And then there's always the idea of finding a smallish LB and converting him.

Slippage from Wilson

Big plays. Look at how many big plays Wilson made in 2004 vs. 2005. Big time players make big plays at key times in games. The Patriots defense is loaded with big play defenders.
I do not doubt Wilson's ability or durability or his passion. However after Rodney went down, he did not seem to step up his game. And while I could be wrong, I doubt very seriously that BB was thinking that since he lost his starting SS, the Pats defense should not expect any big plays from the FS position. It could be that Wilson played it too safe once Rodney went down. Only Wilson knows that answer.
Granted I'm not writing Wilson off yet. He made the kind of big play I was expecting him to contribute in the regular season in the Jaguars playoff game. I know he has more in him.
And it may be that Rodney did baby him out on the field for the past couple of seasons, and maybe he now knows what it's like to have to play without Rodney by his side. I don't think it's unlikely that Wilson takes the lessons learned from 2005 and uses it to not just retunr to the form of 2004, but to also take the next step and become an elite player at his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News