PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MarTellus compares Brady/Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's slowly coming out that Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated QB of his time. Media dismissed Greg Jennings comments about him, but it's only a matter of time as Marty B was the next in line.

Rodgers can't read a D and makes things more difficult than they need to be. Greg Cossell also noticed this after watching film on him. He misses guys wide open on the initial play but he can't see it. It won't work against teams with a competent defense with a decent offense. This is why Rodgers flames out in the playoffs.

It's slowly coming out that Aaron Rodgers is the most overrated QB of his time. Media dismissed Greg Jennings comments about him, but it's only a matter of time as Marty B was the next in line.

Rodgers can't read a D and makes things more difficult than they need to be. Greg Cossell also noticed this after watching film on him. He misses guys wide open on the initial play but he can't see it. It won't work against teams with a competent defense with a decent offense. This is why Rodgers flames out in the playoffs.

Ehh...far be it from me to defend Rodgers, but I think saying 'he can't read a D' is over-exaggerating things a fair amount. He's very good at reading the defense, IMO. Brady is (maybe much) better. It's like when we say Rodgers has a better arm than Brady...that's true, but Brady is still one of the best pure passers of all time. Patriots fans just (correctly) happen to value the ability to read the defense and the mental aspect above athletic talent, which is why we all back Brady to the end.

I'd also say that the primary reason Rodgers "flames out" in the playoffs because his defense is usually really bad. In his 7 playoff losses, the Packers D gave up 37+ points in 4 of them. His playoff stats in general are right in line with his career stats, and his playoff stats are equal to or better than Brady's (except in the jewelry category).

I think the biggest knock on Rodgers is his lack of fourth quarter comebacks which have been well documented. He has a great TD / INT ratio but that is because he plays it too safe in general. He is risk averse even when down big, and you have to take risks in those situations (witness a half dozen throws by Brady in the Falcons comeback that easily could have been picked off, but all went our way). When the Packers went down big to Atlanta, you could see Rodgers essentially give up. His body language changed, his frustration showed when he was interacting with Atlanta players after plays were over, and he stopped trying, IMO.

Not sure if Favre is the most overrated quarterback in NFL history or the most overrated player in all of the four major sports history. It's not like there was a sabermetrics revolution and teams started realizing how much turnovers hurt your chances to win; they already knew that. All that said, I like Favre from a personal standpoint and think he is a great redemption story. I hope he stays sober and certainly was one tough player who gave it his all.
Lol I'm just trying to push this narrative to upset Rodgers/Packers fans, all fair points.

This is why I did not want to face GB in the SB at the start of last season. Combine our weaker than playoff level D with BB's overriding philosophy of not pressuring a running QB and our D would have been one that Rogers could exploit. Moot point.

Ehh...far be it from me to defend Rodgers, but I think saying 'he can't read a D' is over-exaggerating things a fair amount. He's very good at reading the defense, IMO. Brady is (maybe much) better. It's like when we say Rodgers has a better arm than Brady...that's true, but Brady is still one of the best pure passers of all time. Patriots fans just (correctly) happen to value the ability to read the defense and the mental aspect above athletic talent, which is why we all back Brady to the end.

I'd also say that the primary reason Rodgers "flames out" in the playoffs because his defense is usually really bad. In his 7 playoff losses, the Packers D gave up 37+ points in 4 of them. His playoff stats in general are right in line with his career stats, and his playoff stats are equal to or better than Brady's (except in the jewelry category).

I think the biggest knock on Rodgers is his lack of fourth quarter comebacks which have been well documented. He has a great TD / INT ratio but that is because he plays it too safe in general. He is risk averse even when down big, and you have to take risks in those situations (witness a half dozen throws by Brady in the Falcons comeback that easily could have been picked off, but all went our way). When the Packers went down big to Atlanta, you could see Rodgers essentially give up. His body language changed, his frustration showed when he was interacting with Atlanta players after plays were over, and he stopped trying, IMO.
While what you said I can't disagree with, but there was no excuse for his 2014 NFCCG collapse. That game should've been a blowout. The Seahawks were literally trying to lose the game but the Packers wanted it less.

Last edited:
This is why I did not want to face GB in the SB at the start of last season. Combine our weaker than playoff level D with BB's overriding philosophy of not pressuring a running QB and our D would have been one that Rogers could exploit. Moot point.
We cannot lost to Green Bay in the Super Bowl, we'd never hear the end of it.

"I had the most fun in my NFL career playing for the Patriots ... because they didn't worry about anything else but football," said Bennett, who is now focused on a career as a children's author.
Love his point about most fun. That's gotta chap some other players.

Also would love to see him and Malcolm Mitchell do some collaboration on kid's reading programs. I'd think the two of them on a book tour of inner-city and small town elementary schools could do some serious good.

That probably has a lot to do with his lack of comebacks too.

Rodgers is good, Favre was better though. Rodgers lacks that boyish charm.

So, no sexting then?

If by 'all' you mean physical effort, sure. The mental effort was never there.

Cut the Ol' Gunslinger some slack. I'm willing to bet every one of those 3 brain cells were churning for all they were worth just to keep him upright.

G Cosell of NFL Films did a great showing how Rogers would miss a lot of first reads and miss the 'right' throw, then improvise and sometimes make the play due to his athleticism.

Brady is a football Feynman, able to make the correct read and decision allowing him to not have to make a 'miraculous' throw as often. Rogers has never had and will never get close to Brady in that dept.

His inability to see the field as quickly, to ANTICIPATE how the play will develop is a yawning chasm between the two players.

http://media.billmichaelssports.com/a/118319154/cosell-rodgers-is-an-unconventional-qb.htm

G Cosell of NFL Films did a great showing how Rogers would miss a lot of first reads and miss the 'right' throw, then improvise and sometimes make the play due to his athleticism.

Brady is a football Feynman, able to make the correct read and decision allowing him to not have to make a 'miraculous' throw as often. Rogers has never had and will never get close to Brady in that dept.

His inability to see the field as quickly, to ANTICIPATE how the play will develop is a yawning chasm between the two players.

Cosell: Rodgers is an unconventional QB

Great use of "Feynman"!

Yeah all of that makes sense. I'd like to see more of an in depth analysis with video examples instead of just taking Cosell's word for it, so feel free to post that if you've come across that.

Also it'd be nice to see some hard data. Maybe Football Outsiders has done something, but it would be cool to have a stat like "# of times the QB's first read was open and he passed to him". These are analytics the NBA has readily available so someone should do that for the NFL too. Then we could compare Brady to Rodgers in that respect.

I disagree with Cosell's statement that "it's very difficult to play consistently like that week after week." Rodgers is one of the most consistent QBs in the league*, so either it's easy to play consistently from an improvisational standpoint, or Cosell is overrating the amount of improv that Rodgers has to do.

This is all good stuff though; I think the Rodgers vs Brady argument is one of the defining NFL debates of our time, so it's good to have Brady ammo. Funny how before it was Brady vs Pink Head, but we all know who won that :)

* except when he's hurt, which you could certainly argue happens to him because he scrambles too much

Rodgers is a great QB but I feel when I watch him, he looks to run too soon and too often, hero ball if you will. It can lead to some spectacular plays, but also injuries and inconsistency. Give me the methodical assassin over the screaming banshee any day.

Last edited:
Love Rodgers as a player.

When it comes to greatness, the “unparalleled” statistics thing never stands the test of time. And it isn’t just the rings but the memorable, iconic moments of Brady and Montana.

Statistically only, Fouts retired, despite a ring, as possibly the GOAT because he was far superior to his peers. Then Young. Then Favre. Then Manning. The thing is, as has surpassed the next, these guys have dropped many spots since they are no longer “the greatest statistical quarterback.” Postseason and championship success, meanwhile, holds the test of time. What Rodgers is doing isn’t unprecedented. Leading the league in passing stats over a long period of time has been done by all the guys I mentioned, each setting the bar that was passed by the next one. In the end, it comes down to show me the bling.

Great use of "Feynman"!

Yeah all of that makes sense. I'd like to see more of an in depth analysis with video examples instead of just taking Cosell's word for it, so feel free to post that if you've come across that.

Also it'd be nice to see some hard data. Maybe Football Outsiders has done something, but it would be cool to have a stat like "# of times the QB's first read was open and he passed to him". These are analytics the NBA has readily available so someone should do that for the NFL too. Then we could compare Brady to Rodgers in that respect.

I disagree with Cosell's statement that "it's very difficult to play consistently like that week after week." Rodgers is one of the most consistent QBs in the league*, so either it's easy to play consistently from an improvisational standpoint, or Cosell is overrating the amount of improv that Rodgers has to do.

This is all good stuff though; I think the Rodgers vs Brady argument is one of the defining NFL debates of our time, so it's good to have Brady ammo. Funny how before it was Brady vs Pink Head, but we all know who won that :)

* except when he's hurt, which you could certainly argue happens to him because he scrambles too much

I was looking for the video by Cosell where he broke down a couple of examples.
But I failed to dig up the old vid.
One that stuck out to me was a play near the Goal Line, Rogers had a RD on a slant combo route, scrambled and found a receiver after the play broke down.
Cosell showed where the 'correct' throw was within the context of the offensive

I don't know where people are coming up with the really jealous/crazy idea Rodgers "can't read a defense" and other hogwash. You don't become the all-time leader in passer rating and lowest int % by a large margin by making bad reads.

At least be glad Rodgers really is an all-time great and not a complete media fabrication like P. Manning, the apparent "smartest quarterback of all-time" whose interception rate was miles worse than Brady or Rodgers, despite ALWAYS having a pair of healthy all-pro caliber WRs, while Tom Moore admitted the Colts offense was really simple and essentially based around one concept.

who coined the phrase "DISCOUNT DOUBLE DORK" years ago and has steadfastly argued with every single Rodgers over Brady proponent since?

(I'll wait....tap..tap..tap..tap)

The thing about Rodgers I don’t understand is how a guy that looks even skinnier and averager than me can flick his wrist and throw the ball 70 yards on the run. He’s Elway without the build or teeth.

Brady is my man and the GOAT without question but man, Aaron is a talented SOB. I hope he has a great season. The NFL needs it.

Dude. This is so "I want to bang the next door neighbors wife" type stuff..

Why is it no one debates Brees vs Brees? I have to admit I HATE how much Brees is dismissed. Peyton got years and years of praise as the best QB of his generation. Brady is the GOAT. Rodgers is the super talent.

Brees is the single most underappreciated great QB in NFL history. People seem to constantly overlook how good he is. He will go down as one of the top 10 QBs of all time and no one seems to care.
Brees vs Brees? Is that like Spy vs Spy?

spy.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes