PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lawson or Carpenter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carpenter.... he's got a patriots logo tattoo'd on his arm...... :rocker:

I can't decide. In a way I'd love Lawson to give us another Colvin type on the other side. OTOH, he's awfully light, even for a OLB, and a bigger guy might be better. What about Greenway, everyone seems to be discarding him.

I gotta read up on LB's in the draft. Carpenter, Hawk etc. one thing i noticed is that they are all listed as OLB's and not ILB's.

CrazyDave said:
I gotta read up on LB's in the draft. Carpenter, Hawk etc. one thing i noticed is that they are all listed as OLB's and not ILB's.
There isn't one ILB who I like for us until you get to about Round 3.

Parham is dropping and he's a solid ILB.... we can get him in the 3rd round..

BelichickFan said:
There isn't one ILB who I like for us until you get to about Round 3.
Yeah, kinda sucks. I've been hearing a lot about the 2 guys from Ohio State.
Not sure how well LB's change positions. Depends on the guy I guess.
Lots of college tackles seem to move to guard, do lb's do the same?

If Carpenter can be our defensive QB of the future...I say you go with him all else being equal. It would be nice to see us get someone who can pressure the QB also....

Hopefull not another Katzenmoyer. Too bad, i loved him his junior year.

re

Here's hoping that with his bad combine, CHAD GREENWAY falls to the Pats at #21.

Despite what the so-called experts have been saying, Greenway is the best linebacker in the draft.

Last edited:
i keep changing my mind on this
but i feel like lawson could be more explosive at the pro level

BelichickFan said:
I can't decide. In a way I'd love Lawson to give us another Colvin type on the other side. OTOH, he's awfully light, even for a OLB, and a bigger guy might be better. What about Greenway, everyone seems to be discarding him.

Greenway is a beast. I had a link to his highlight video. He looks solid.

MrTibbs said:
Greenway is a beast. I had a link to his highlight video. He looks solid.

ya it looks like greenway might be there now too

usually theres one or two guys i really want the pats to get
last yr it was marlin jackson
the yr before it was vince wilfor or stephen jackson (i knew we wouldnt be able to get both even though we had two first rders)

anyway this yr theres a bunch i wouldnt mind them getting at 21 (so this is without trading up or down):
(in no particular order)
manny lawson
chad greenway
bobby carpenter
antonio cromartie
deangelo williams
lendale white
laurence maroney
marcus mcneil
nick mangold (dont forget that koppen is a fa next yr, and we might always be able to move mankins back to t (light, mangold, koppen, neal, mankins))
chad jackson

Carpenter & Lawson

Since I have considered these two to be the Patriots top choices at LB and this year I'm convinced the Pats have wanted to, and will take at least one LB and probably two, starting quality LBs. These are the two I would want.

After considering it for a while, I decided that I'd take Carpenter first and then trade up if I could for Lawson, should he drop into the the second round.

Here's why.

Carpenter has instincts, size, and can pass rush as a OLB. Greenway is not a pass rusher. Lawson is only a pass rusher. Carpenter also has intincts and is heady player, much more polished than Lawson. He can also play inside as well. If you consider that three of the last four Pat's starters at ILB were OLBs to start with, I think this is an affirmation that BB wants faster, bigger, LBs and the OLB candidates are just bigger, faster, and better athletes.

I just have the sneaking suspition that Carpenter will start at OLB and then eventually migrate inside, and become a perennial Probowler at ILB.

Besides, You don't experiment with First Rounders.

Lawson is more raw. He may have a higher upside as an OLB. And he might do so, but he is still a "Project". A "Project" with a very high upside, but a project nonetheless. That's why he might slide into round two.

Ideally, they would get Carpenter at 21 and trade up and get Lawson at 33-40.

Then the oldest and toughest positions to fill on a BB Defense, are suddenly youthful and abundant after loking at teh retiement and aging of its great LB corps.

PS: Greenway is sliding after turning in some poor 40's and strength tests at the Combine. I could live with Carpenter & Greenway too, but in that case, Carpenter stays at OLB, and Greenway becomes the movement ILB, and they still search for the TJ replacement.

Lawson could be the guy but he seems to be one of those "boom or bust" type player. He could end up being Pro Bowl player or a big disapointment.

Carpenter can play OLB but he can also play ILB. He can also play with his hand on the ground as a DE. He is smart and hard working.

Carpenter seems to me to be the more solid of the two. So, as of 3/27/06, I would take Carpenter.

re

AZ, you probably haven't seen enough clips of Greenway yet. He is an extremely quick, agile pass rusher. The guy is absolutely ferocious, with the biggest motor I've seen of any linebacker in the draft.

Greenway is a perfect candidate to slide over to ILB for the Patriots. In every interview or article about him, he seems like the ultimate leader, team-first player, humble, and doesn't take anything for granted. He was unregarded out of South Dakota, where he was an old-school farm boy who played HS QB and safety.

Watch for yourself:
http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/greenway_chad00.html

Last edited:
Lawsons stock has risen a lot..hes not getting past 25. My take is he goes before us but if hes there, I rather have him. People say he'll be like Willie McGinest..hes 6"6 245 and rushes passer well. I like that. Carpenter does not have a Patriots tattoo..show me a picture and i'll believe it, I looked around and Kiwanuka isnt going to be an OLB

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
Since I have considered these two to be the Patriots top choices at LB and this year I'm convinced the Pats have wanted to, and will take at least one LB and probably two, starting quality LBs. These are the two I would want.

After considering it for a while, I decided that I'd take Carpenter first and then trade up if I could for Lawson, should he drop into the the second round.

Here's why.

Carpenter has instincts, size, and can pass rush as a OLB. Greenway is not a pass rusher. Lawson is only a pass rusher. Carpenter also has intincts and is heady player, much more polished than Lawson. He can also play inside as well. If you consider that three of the last four Pat's starters at ILB were OLBs to start with, I think this is an affirmation that BB wants faster, bigger, LBs and the OLB candidates are just bigger, faster, and better athletes.

I just have the sneaking suspition that Carpenter will start at OLB and then eventually migrate inside, and become a perennial Probowler at ILB.

Besides, You don't experiment with First Rounders.

Lawson is more raw. He may have a higher upside as an OLB. And he might do so, but he is still a "Project". A "Project" with a very high upside, but a project nonetheless. That's why he might slide into round two.

Ideally, they would get Carpenter at 21 and trade up and get Lawson at 33-40.

Then the oldest and toughest positions to fill on a BB Defense, are suddenly youthful and abundant after loking at teh retiement and aging of its great LB corps.

PS: Greenway is sliding after turning in some poor 40's and strength tests at the Combine. I could live with Carpenter & Greenway too, but in that case, Carpenter stays at OLB, and Greenway becomes the movement ILB, and they still search for the TJ replacement.

great post
i kinda feel the same
i just wonder if we would take too much of a hit in the pass rushing ability next yr

maverick4 said:
AZ, you probably haven't seen enough clips of Greenway yet. He is an extremely quick, agile pass rusher. The guy is absolutely ferocious, with the biggest motor I've seen of any linebacker in the draft.

Greenway is a perfect candidate to slide over to ILB for the Patriots. In every interview or article about him, he seems like the ultimate leader, team-first player, humble, and doesn't take anything for granted. He was unregarded out of South Dakota, where he was an old-school farm boy who played HS QB and safety.

Watch for yourself:
http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/greenway_chad00.html

But I've looked at his Sack totals and that don't compare to Bobby or Manny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes