PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Kubiak to Texans

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It's apparently a done deal. Just waiting for the season to end, just like Crennell & the Browns last year.

My source on this was ProFootballTalk.com. They claim to have several sources. Big loss for the Broncos next year. I think he'll do very well as HC.

Yup, think that's a pretty good move on their part, especially having won the Reggie Bush bowl.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Yup, think that's a pretty good move on their part, especially having won the Reggie Bush bowl.

I think that's the Vince Young Bowl, whether via trade down or not. Carr's due a huge bonus, so he could be gone. Supposedly Saban's interested in Carr, and is offering Ricky Williams.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Evidently word is the Texans have to draft Vince Young or their fanbase will revolt. THats whent he Carr for Williams rumors started to flow.

I wonder why, after all these years, Kubiak is finally feeling confident enough to wean himself away from Shanahan? He hasn't even interviewed for jobs in 2-3 years.

With their OL, I don't think a combo of Bush & Young can help much until thats addressed.

I agree, and if I were a Texans fan, I'd probably be pulling for them to trade that pick for multiple picks to try to build a better line with, but I've got that feeling that they'll cave to all this "Once in a lifetime" hoopla and pressure and go with Bush, maybe.

tailgater said:
I wonder why, after all these years, Kubiak is finally feeling confident enough to wean himself away from Shanahan? He hasn't even interviewed for jobs in 2-3 years.
I don't have a link, but remember reading that he was turning down interviews for a while because he didn't want to relocate and disrupt his family. His oldest son apparently just entered college this year so they are probably getting to an age that it's not as big a deal. Given that he was OC on the SB-winning 49ers way back in 1995, then followed that up with the Broncos titles, it sure seems like he could have been a HC before this had he wanted to.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
It's apparently a done deal. Just waiting for the season to end, just like Crennell & the Browns last year.

My source on this was ProFootballTalk.com. They claim to have several sources. Big loss for the Broncos next year. I think he'll do very well as HC.

Congrats to Kubiak, I think! Seems like a sharp guy and a people person type coach.

Im straining my memory here but didnt Kubiak play college bal in Texas? Texas Tech maybe?

Not sure where the rumors that the Texans had to take Vince Young or their fans would revolt came from. But as of the middle of last week, the Texans were dead set on taking Reggie Bush #1 overall, whether or not Vince declared.

I have stated, as have others, that they need to trade down and get some good young players. Players who will come in and have an impact on getting this team going in the right direction. They are one of the teams that I am scared will go after Neal and Ashworth with crazy type contracts. (Packers are another one).

An improved Texans team playing in the AFC South - too bad that he came from the Colts favorite play toy......that was the job for Mangini, I think that owner would actually take a clue from Kraft's policies - and I'd really love for EM to make Manning's division up a notch.

DaBruinz said:
Not sure where the rumors that the Texans had to take Vince Young or their fans would revolt came from. But as of the middle of last week, the Texans were dead set on taking Reggie Bush #1 overall, whether or not Vince declared.

I have stated, as have others, that they need to trade down and get some good young players. Players who will come in and have an impact on getting this team going in the right direction. They are one of the teams that I am scared will go after Neal and Ashworth with crazy type contracts. (Packers are another one).

They absolutely need to trade down.
I dont know what their cap situation is, but I don't believe it is real strong. They've had many very high picks and have signed big $$ FAs.
They do not have a whole lot to show for it.

If I were Kubiak and the brain trust, this would be my plan:

I would TRADE David Carr for a first round pick. His cap cost hurts for a team that is rebuilding. He has taken too much of a beating and been too much a part of failure for me to be confident he is part of the solution when they get there. I'd assume you would get a top 10 for him.

Trade out of #1. (You increase the asking price when everyone feels you want one of the QBs). They can get multiple picks.
Foucs the entire draft on front 7 and OL players. Take em early, take em late. With the exception of finding a QB somewhere on day 1 that you can build on. Who plays QB in 06 is irrelevant.

DEVELOP the youngsters, especially the later round guys with 2008 in mind.

Do not worry about success in 2006. The best case is ugly so why focus on wins and losses now?
Install your system and play it. If you want to be a running team, run whether you are ahead or behind. If you want to be aggressive on D, do it regardless of score.

In other words, create the 'blueprint' of how you would win a Championship when the right players are in place. Coach up the players to find out iof they are the right ones. (Too many bad teams make the mistake of playing to win at all cost. If you know your plan involves running the ball and play action, do NOT throw it 55 times because you are behind 31-7)

A quality rebuild hinges on knowing what you need in the 53 players you will have when you are rebuilt. Then as soon as you recognize a guy cannot be that, he goes. You coach up the young guys to that standard.

IMO, this is what the BB model was here.

Ive said it many times, and will for a long time, the success of this franchise was built on the back of the 2000 season. BB attached that season by saying we will win or lose playing the way he knows we need to play to win championships. That allowed him to find out what he had, and what he didnt, and was the impetus of the 'great personell decisions'.

AndyJohnson said:
They absolutely need to trade down.
I dont know what their cap situation is, but I don't believe it is real strong. They've had many very high picks and have signed big $$ FAs.
They do not have a whole lot to show for it.

If I were Kubiak and the brain trust, this would be my plan:

I would TRADE David Carr for a first round pick. His cap cost hurts for a team that is rebuilding. He has taken too much of a beating and been too much a part of failure for me to be confident he is part of the solution when they get there. I'd assume you would get a top 10 for him.

Trade out of #1. (You increase the asking price when everyone feels you want one of the QBs). They can get multiple picks.
Foucs the entire draft on front 7 and OL players. Take em early, take em late. With the exception of finding a QB somewhere on day 1 that you can build on. Who plays QB in 06 is irrelevant.

Trading down's the right move, but a few things with your scenario:

The Texans CAN'T trade Carr without signing him first. Carr is due an 8 million dollar roster bonus in March. I don't know how many teams are willing to take on his current contract, but probably roughly none. So you either have to pay his bonus, re-sign him to a more friendly deal, which he'll probably decline to do, or let him go to FA.

Who's going to give a top-10 pick for Carr? I like him, but he's never won anything, and he still could be a bust.

You're going to get more this year for the #1 if you make it known (as they have) that they plan to draft Bush. Not everybody's sold on Young or Leinhart as a franchise QB. To make your scenario work, they should trade Domanick Davis for a top 10 pick (much more likely that Carr), and not worry about who plays RB in '06 (although I think Wells is capable).

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Trading down's the right move, but a few things with your scenario:

The Texans CAN'T trade Carr without signing him first. Carr is due an 8 million dollar roster bonus in March. I don't know how many teams are willing to take on his current contract, but probably roughly none. So you either have to pay his bonus, re-sign him to a more friendly deal, which he'll probably decline to do, or let him go to FA.

Who's going to give a top-10 pick for Carr? I like him, but he's never won anything, and he still could be a bust.

You're going to get more this year for the #1 if you make it known (as they have) that they plan to draft Bush. Not everybody's sold on Young or Leinhart as a franchise QB. To make your scenario work, they should trade Domanick Davis for a top 10 pick (much more likely that Carr), and not worry about who plays RB in '06 (although I think Wells is capable).

A few things.
1) Part of trading Carr is the other team having negotiated on the bonus.
2) Rumor is Bush is staying at SC.
3) There is absolutely no way in the universe anyone gives a top 10 pick for Dominick Davis. He is a DECENT RB. Maybe about average among NFL starters. No team is so desperate at RB that they would give up a top 10 pick for a decent starter.
4) Carr was a consensus #1. There is pretty wide agreement, IMO, that his first few years havent tainted that, but that the team is awful. A team NEEDING a QB pays lavishly for the right one. I think almost any team out there THAT IS COMPETITIVE NOW would prefer Carr over Leinhart or Young. Carr couldnt have won anything with the team around him. Leinhart and Young could be busts too,

AndyJohnson said:
A few things.
1) Part of trading Carr is the other team having negotiated on the bonus.
2) Rumor is Bush is staying at SC.
3) There is absolutely no way in the universe anyone gives a top 10 pick for Dominick Davis. He is a DECENT RB. Maybe about average among NFL starters. No team is so desperate at RB that they would give up a top 10 pick for a decent starter.
4) Carr was a consensus #1. There is pretty wide agreement, IMO, that his first few years havent tainted that, but that the team is awful. A team NEEDING a QB pays lavishly for the right one. I think almost any team out there THAT IS COMPETITIVE NOW would prefer Carr over Leinhart or Young. Carr couldnt have won anything with the team around him. Leinhart and Young could be busts too,
A few things on top of other things
1) OK. But it wouldn't make sense to Carr. Why would he agree to restructure a bonus AND play for a team of the Texans' choosing? He should, and probably will, force the Texans to either honor his contract or cut him loose. Unless you're suggesting that another team is going to pick up Carr's cap-straining contract AND give a draft pick for the right to do so. I don't think it's legal for the Texans to give the trading team cash along with Carr, like they do in baseball, to effectively partially re-imburse the team a signing bonus.

2) Bush hired an agent. He's coming out. MICHAEL Bush, from Louisville, made an announcement today that he's returning.

3) For the same reason we don't know how good Carr is (bullsh!t offensive line), we don't know how good Davis is. I think he's overrated, but GMs might have him evaluated differently. He has produced behind that bs O-line, and is still young.

4) He was a consensus top 3 pick, but that was a long time ago, and he's done nothing to show that it was justified. I agree with you in the sense that at least you know what you're getting with him, as opposed to a rookie, but there are guys like Jon Kitna, for example, who are free agents, and will be a lot cheaper.

Hey, you're the GM in your scenario, so you have the right to fire me and put your plan into action.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft