PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Joey headed to Fins

Status
Not open for further replies.

the taildragger

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2414492

"I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed,'' Harrington said Wednesday in a statement issued by his agent, David Dunn. "The Dolphins are an ascending team with great coaching and I can't wait to get started. I certainly appreciate all that the Ford family and Matt Millen did for me."

"The Dolphins are offering a sixth-round choice in 2007. The Lions have been asking for a third- or fourth-round choice in this year's draft. Now, it's up to Millen to make a concession in his demands or hold up any move until June 15 when Harrington is due."

looks like a potential QB controversy down the road. I went on Finheaven and they're all patting themselves on the back...one guy goes, "hey, all Steve Young needed was a good team..." :scared:

I was quite pleased when Culpepper joined them.

Words are insufficient to describe my glee at this development!

Yes, Joey Harrington is the missing piece for that up and coming dynasty.

Sweet...

They are making my day...all that is left is to sign Ricky Williams to a contract extension and I can go to bed with a smile on my face.:singing: :singing:

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:
I was quite pleased when Culpepper joined them.

Words are insufficient to describe my glee at this development!

Why woud you be happy. You guys lose everyday we sign poeple. Culpep and now Hary I am going nuts over this. So many things going well perhaps I shall stik around here more often.

Why are we happy...

Boner said:
Why woud you be happy. You guys lose everyday we sign poeple. Culpep and now Hary I am going nuts over this. So many things going well perhaps I shall stik around here more often.

Joey is so bad they booed him on Turkey Day last year. The only punishment left for him if he stinks it up in Miami the way he did in Detriot is they will strip him of his citizenship and send him to Japan to be a permanent guest on a wacky Japenese game show.:rocker: :rocker:

rabthepat said:
Joey is so bad they booed him on Turkey Day last year. The only punishment left for him if he stinks it up in Miami the way he did in Detriot is they will strip him of his citizenship and send him to Japan to be a permanent guest on a wacky Japenese game show.:rocker: :rocker:

Harrington is Japanese? Must be his mother because Harrington is not a Japan name. I never new this, thanks for the infomation.

Okay Boner let's try this. You're in a boat with an out board motor. You hook up the gas line start the engine and all is well.

Now you grab full throttle and zooom off you go, hell bent. ! :D

Suddenly the motor slows dramatically(sputters), you back off the throttle and everything is fine,....so again full throttle and zoooooooom you're off again, and again the motor slows dramatically(sputters), still with me.? :cool:

.......at the end of boating season you ckeck and find a pin hole in the gas
line, now you finally firgure it out. YOU START OUT GREAT BUT WIND UP
SUCKING AIR, get it, that little unobserved pinhead ooops pinhole has ruined your whole season. Looks like you'll have 2 pin headholes to choose from. :singing:

G/L this season though,..........................poof, motor gone,..............:eek:

Boner said:

Hi, Bone.

I didn't mean to interfere with your enjoyment of the situation. All us crazy fans find the offseason to be the season of hope.

I guess that, to me, it matters which people a team is signing (and at what cap cost.)
But i certainly wish you much delight between now and September.

Pay no attention, Boner. These people are clearly envious of Miami's shrewd offseason moves. Hell, we're still starting a 6th rounder at quarterback because we were too cheap to keep our franchise guy.

Anyway, it's not like Culpepper will get distracted in Miami, like he did in Minnesota. I mean, there's just not as much opportunity for boat trips. Anyway it's all legal in international waters. Ricky and him could take a charter.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't listen to the haters. And when you get your butts kicked in the AFC again, don't hate the players. Hate the game.

Around the end of December, you boys always do.

All in good fun,

PFnV

I don't understand the comments, except in the context of disssing anything the fins do (which I certainly understand).

Fins fans should be staisfied that the Management addressed the QB issue by acquiring Culpepper and Harrington. The question is will the team be improved with theses two and whoever is the third compared to last year. I don't think there is any question that the acquisitions will help the team.

mgteich said:
I don't understand the comments, except in the context of disssing anything the fins do (which I certainly understand).

Fins fans should be staisfied that the Management addressed the QB issue by acquiring Culpepper and Harrington. The question is will the team be improved with theses two and whoever is the third compared to last year. I don't think there is any question that the acquisitions will help the team.

I guess it's all relative...

THEORY A (HEALTH): Yesterday, Miami fans were praying that Culpepper was healthy and ready to go. This could indicate he is at least a serious question mark.

THEORY B (PERFORMANCE): If 2005 meant anything, any faith in Culpepper may be misguided in the first place. Gus played much better than Culppeper last year, but Saban is taking a chance on Daunte's upside, hoping he can rekindle the form of 2004 instead of tank like he did just last year. Should Saban be wrong and Culpepper plays more like he did last year, Harrington would serve as emergency cover -- in that case Joey would definitely qualify as an upgrade.

DILEMMA: As consistently HORRIBLE as he's been in Detroit, Joey has been a starter for the past four years, and he obviously expects to have a good shot at starting in Miami. Whether the move was solely for precautionary reasons by Saban, and whether Joey starts or not, the clouds of controversy will be hovering over the team to magnify and amplify the first sign of struggles.

The potential bright side for Fins:
- COMPETITION THEORY: Perhaps Culpepper will take the added pressure constructively and take his game to another level? competition didn't however seem to help Joey last year -- if anything he was worse.
- QB TRADE VALUE THEORY: If one of the two is successful, Saban could parlay the other into a trade which might leave them better off than they were before.

The obvious concern here is that both of these guys sucked in 2005 and one of them could still be recovering from a major injury.

So is there a net positive impact of putting your eggs in the Harrington/Culpepper ticket? Perhaps, but the way I see it, there's absolutely no way to be sure of that -- but then again, it's all relative.

but given our stability at that position, is there some schadenfreude up here? most definitely.:rocker:

Last edited:
I think that it's worth pointing out that there has been no deal. Harrington has stated his PREFERENCE for playing in Miami. Denver has offered Detroit a 3rd pick, as opposed to the 6th Miami has (a pick that they don't have at the moment).

Now, Harrington can force himself to free agency by refusing to renegotiate, but his agent might convince him to go to Denver.

taildragger,

Fine analysis!, esspecially since you used one of my favorite words "schadenfreude"

mark

As a Miami fan, I'd be fairly happy to get Harrington as a back-up. He has experience and I'd rather have Duante and Joey, warts and all, over Gus and Sage. As for what this signifies, I don't think it shows a thing regarding Culpepper's rehab. Miami simply didn't have a #2 QB and in my opinion Joey is excellent in that role. I'd even go so far as to say he's better than Gus or at least still has potential to turn it around. As for Theory B, what gets lost in the Culpepper story is that he started to suck when Linehan left for Miami in 2005 and Minnesota's offense changed. Even though Linehan has since left miami and Mike Mularkey came in, Saban insists the offensive scheme will be the same so I wouldn't be totally shocked to see a spike in his performance. I'm not suggesting a return to his pro-bowl form but he already knows the scheme and has exceled in it so it's not out of the question. Chambers is no Moss but he's good in his own right. All in all, if Harrington can hold the fort until Culpepper returns, getting him for a future 6th would be a very solid move.

dryheat44 said:
I think that it's worth pointing out that there has been no deal. Harrington has stated his PREFERENCE for playing in Miami. Denver has offered Detroit a 3rd pick, as opposed to the 6th Miami has (a pick that they don't have at the moment).

Now, Harrington can force himself to free agency by refusing to renegotiate, but his agent might convince him to go to Denver.

Thank you so much. Too bad the whole article wan't posted. Detroit and Miami never made any deal, and there is no proof that they will. Why would Miami waste a pick on him if he will be cut? I think Saban is a smart cookie. I don't see why he would give up a pick and take a big contract in a trade.

Although the release/trade hasn't been consummated, it was reported by Clayton/ESPN last night that Harrington and his agent were holding all the cards and that they intended to go to Miami.

What Clayton didn't consider is that the Lions don't have to release him until mid-June which would effectively bar him from being ready to start on opening day...this obviously gives the Lions enough leverage to stall things.

It still looks like all parties are prepared to make this happen, but if the original post was misleading, please direct your comments to John Clayton.

More information today from Mike Florio:
LIONS, DUNN PLAYING CHICKEN

We're hearing that Wednesday's statement from quarterback Joey Harrington regarding his interest in joining the Dolphins was triggered by the news that the Broncos had picked up extra picks in exchange for the No. 22 overall selection in the April 29-30 draft.

We're told that Harrington and his agent, David Dunn, concluded that the move might be a precursor to a trade of Harrington to Denver. So Dunn and Harrington opted to put out the word that the former No. 3 overall pick wants to play for the Dolphins.

Dunn believes that he holds all of the cards on this one, since he can block a trade by refusing on Harrington's behalf to restructure a contract that presently calls for a $4 million roster bonus on June 15. But if the Lions decide to hold firm and not release Joey until June 14, it will be too late for Harrington to get ready to be the opening-day starter for the Dolphins, if Daunte Culpepper isn't sufficiently recovered from his torn ligament trifecta. Indeed, it's likely that the Dolphins will look elsewhere for a backup quarterback if they can't get Harrington under contract soon.

We're also hearing that the Dolphins are willing to bump their current offer from a seventh-round pick to a sixth-round selection. The only problem in this regard is that the Fins currently don't have a sixth-rounder, so they'd have to swing a trade with someone else to get the six.

The Lions, we're told, still want at least a fourth-round pick. There's talk that the Lions might reduce their demands to a fifth-rounder.

The Dolphins used their fifth-round pick last summer in the supplemental draft, when they selected USC defensive tackle Manuel Wright.

The Fins reportedly are offering a sixth-round pick in 2007, since they likewise don't have a sixth-rounder in this year's draft, either.

He's not going to Denver after announcing he'd rather go to Miami.

The way I read it, if Saban acquires a 6th rounder to make this happen (or gives up a 5th), it means he needs Joey to be the opening day starter (otherwise he'd simply wait for the release and give up nothing). This would validate the theory that Saban is doing this due to lingering concerns over Culpepper's health.

Is Saban acting wisely? absolutely. Is all of this good for the Fins? Way too early to tell.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
Although the release/trade hasn't been consummated, it was reported by Clayton/ESPN last night that Harrington and his agent were holding all the cards and that they intended to go to Miami.

What Clayton didn't consider in his story is that the Lions don't have to release him until mid-June which would effectively bar him from being ready to start on opening day...this obviously gives the Lions enough leverage to stall things.

It still looks like all parties are prepared to make this happen, but if the original post was misleading, please direct your comments to John Clayton.

More information today from Mike Florio:
LIONS, DUNN PLAYING CHICKEN

We're hearing that Wednesday's statement from quarterback Joey Harrington regarding his interest in joining the Dolphins was triggered by the news that the Broncos had picked up extra picks in exchange for the No. 22 overall selection in the April 29-30 draft.

We're told that Harrington and his agent, David Dunn, concluded that the move might be a precursor to a trade of Harrington to Denver. So Dunn and Harrington opted to put out the word that the former No. 3 overall pick wants to play for the Dolphins.

Dunn believes that he holds all of the cards on this one, since he can block a trade by refusing on Harrington's behalf to restructure a contract that presently calls for a $4 million roster bonus on June 15. But if the Lions decide to hold firm and not release Joey until June 14, it will be too late for Harrington to get ready to be the opening-day starter for the Dolphins, if Daunte Culpepper isn't sufficiently recovered from his torn ligament trifecta. Indeed, it's likely that the Dolphins will look elsewhere for a backup quarterback if they can't get Harrington under contract soon.

We're also hearing that the Dolphins are willing to bump their current offer from a seventh-round pick to a sixth-round selection. The only problem in this regard is that the Fins currently don't have a sixth-rounder, so they'd have to swing a trade with someone else to get the six.

The Lions, we're told, still want at least a fourth-round pick. There's talk that the Lions might reduce their demands to a fifth-rounder.

The Dolphins used their fifth-round pick last summer in the supplemental draft, when they selected USC defensive tackle Manuel Wright.

The Fins reportedly are offering a sixth-round pick in 2007, since they likewise don't have a sixth-rounder in this year's draft, either.

It's unlikely he's headed to Denver -- particularly given he's already publicly stated his preference for Miami and therefore substantially undermined that option.

The way I read it, if Saban acquires a 6th rounder soon to consummate things, it means he needs Joey to be the opening day starter (otherwise he'd simply wait for Joey to be released and give up nothing)...which of course would validate the theory that Saban is doing this because of lingering concerns to Culpepper's health.

Is Saban acting wisely? absolutely. Is all of this good for the Fins? Way too early to tell.

I find it difficult to see how Joey and his agent are holding the cards. I think Mr. Millen (even though an idiot) is holding the cards. If Millen held out until after the draft there may be new interest from other teams. If he doesnt get the pick he wants, why not just wait until next years picks are offered? Millen still doesn't lose all if Joey is cut. He now has more cap space after June 1.

Digger44 said:
I find it difficult to see how Joey and his agent are holding the cards. I think Mr. Millen (even though an idiot) is holding the cards. If Millen held out until after the draft there may be new interest from other teams. If he doesnt get the pick he wants, why not just wait until next years picks are offered? Millen still doesn't lose all if Joey is cut. He now has more cap space after June 1.

I'll try to clear things up as best I can...

There are 4 million reasons, two new QBs in Detroit, and the latest farewell statement from Harrington, that explain why Millen isn't waiting til next year to cut Joey.

He's not going to be in detroit this year. That much is clear.

Harrington can and will block a revamping of his contract with any team other than Miami which will wreak financial havoc and undermine Harrington's value anywhere other than Miami...Therefore he does hold the cards as to WHICH team, though he doesn't have the power to decide WHEN.

He's not going anywhere if he's not going to Miami. That much is clear.

But the "when" is a crucial piece here.

Look, if this happens sooner rather than later (and at a higher trade value), I don't know how it's a good sign for Miami...This is hardly a vote of confidence for the current starting QB. This isn't Cleo Lemon, it's a guy who has started for the past four years and intends to start next year...he's not going down there to ride the pine and enjoy the show...should he end up in that role, there will be friction. Should Culpepper end up in that role, it will make that friction seem miniscule.

Bottom line is both QBs sucked last year, so let's stop celebrating and pretending we've just become contenders to the Pats' throne because we've acquired two quarterbacks who could potentially suck really badly. If things turn out peachy, great -- but at this point, given the value of this position, unless either QB improves dramatically, there can be no rational expectation of even incremental improvement over last year in terms of either overall performance or record. In fact, there is a very realistic possibility for things to have gotten even worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back