PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Jerod Mayo: "This is where I want to Be"

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Mayo is set for life; after his career as a player he surely has enough banked to live a comfortable life in retirement if he so chooses. So he can decide what he wants to do and how and where he wants to do it. Seems he has decided he wants to do what he’s doing, and to do it here.

EDIT: was originally a reply on an old zombie thread; Ross moved it to a new thread because of current media. THANKS Ross!

Jerod Mayo clears the air on job title with Patriots

Last edited:
Mayo is set for life; after his career as a player he surely has enough banked to live a comfortable life in retirement if he so chooses. So he can decide what he wants to do and how and where he wants to do it. Seems he has decided he wants to do what he’s doing, and to do it here.

which makes the thread title misleading.

MODS: any way to update it?

Jerod Mayo clears the air on job title with Patriots
I moved your post from the one about Mayo leaving to this one where it is more appropriate.

I moved your post from the one about Mayo leaving to this one where it is more appropriate.
Good move. THANKS! I’d missed this one when I was posting it.

I guess he and Stevie must get along okay. He doesn’t seem worried about being pushed aside to make room for the boss’s son.

I guess he and Stevie must get along okay. He doesn’t seem worried about being pushed aside to make room for the boss’s son.
I read a few articles about his interview today. I'll have to go watch it later myself. The impression I get is that he's definitely the HC in waiting and he probably wants to keep Steve on as his DC.

One question asked was "Robert Kraft says you have a high ceiling as a potential head coach and he would like that to be here in New England. Has he expressed that to you personally?"

Mayo answered "I'll just say - I want to be here, I will be here for the next few years, we'll see what happens." ....... then after a pause said "that was a tricky one" to the reporter and laughed.

This is some real wink-and-nod ****.

One question asked was "Robert Kraft says you have a high ceiling as a potential head coach and he would like that to be here in New England. Has he expressed that to you personally?"

Mayo answered "I'll just say - I want to be here, I will be here for the next few years, we'll see what happens." ....... then after a pause said "that was a tricky one" to the reporter and laughed.

This is some real wink-and-nod ****.
Sounds like he’s being groomed. Included as part of the brain trust interviewing the OC candidates. Bill has the roster poised for turnover next offseason. Great opportunity to include Mayo in roster construction.

How long is BOB’s contract? I’m wondering how soon he will be out taking another HC gig. Or will he mentor Mayo for a couple of years first?

With Mayo and BOB it seems BB can act as Executive HC and GM. Might give him a few more years before he decides to retire. That’ll really chap some cheeks on this board won’t it?

Full interview.

Some good quotes in that.

when asked about his role: “New England never has roles.”

also really liked his quote of General McChrystal.

entire clip was impressive. But I’m not convinced he’s surly enough to fill Belichick’s shoes.

Well it's good news at worst. I'm sure SOMEONE will twist the presser into something negative.

Mayo, I believe is an important personality with the coaching staff and locker room. He a guy people are drawn to. I met him a few times after he retired and before he was coaching again. Great guy to meet, and VERY smart and articulate. Was doing great in private business before he came back. Yes he could retire on the money he made playing, but he also could retire on the money he made in business.

Two key points. He has lived in the N Attleboro area for a long time. Like Josh, he has young kids and is rooted to his neighborhood and town. Coaching can be a very nomadic life, especially in DI college and pro. It's like the military, lots of moves and hard on a family. Jarod will be willing to move of course if a great opportunity opens up, but given what he has here, why move when you like the area AND you job.

The second point is that I have never been one to think that he is being demeaned because Steve is calling the Defensive signals. First because defensive signal calling is a bit overrated since so much is dictated by what the offense showed you presnap. And secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if he is doing most of the D Coordinator's job behind the scenes. Granted creating a defensive game plan is very collaborative, but in the end someONE has to put all the data together and OK the final plan.....to show to Bill. ;).

He's very likely to be a HC within the next 5 years. I hope it's here. In the meantime he couldn't have a better teacher.

I have always been surprised that so many of Bill's coaching tree haven't had more success. But clearly that job is a LOT more than just being the HC. You NEED presence, because you need to have a LOT of people to want to listen to your vision beyond the 53+ members of the team. When you look back at all the guys who left and DIDN'T find any long term success, how many had a great public "presence"
BOB, Vrable maybe? Anyways, just a thought

It's looking likely he's been promised to be the next HC.

Some good quotes in that.

when asked about his role: “New England never has roles.”

also really liked his quote of General McChrystal.

entire clip was impressive. But I’m not convinced he’s surly enough to fill Belichick’s shoes.
There were a few quotes that really reminded me of BB, just with a friendlier tone. He’s definitely more personable but obviously far younger as well. I think he will probably lose a bit of the friendliness after a bit of time in an actual HC role but in general is certainly a more affable guy than Bill. But at the same time, tons of ex-players gush about how much they like Bill as a guy and how he’s secretly funny, so hard to say.

When Mayo was in his prime he was sometimes criticized on this board as he often did not show up in the Box Score, but he was every bit as much a leader as DMac, glad he is still here and probably the future HC of the NEP...

The second point is that I have never been one to think that he is being demeaned because Steve is calling the Defensive signals. First because defensive signal calling is a bit overrated since so much is dictated by what the offense showed you presnap. And secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if he is doing most of the D Coordinator's job behind the scenes. Granted creating a defensive game plan is very collaborative, but in the end someONE has to put all the data together and OK the final plan.....to show to Bill. ;).
This is where I get confused. Can someone who knows football clarify for me what the difference is between the game plan Xs and Os guy (Steve) and the Coordinator (Jerod)?

So Steve is drawing up who goes where on the field and dictates who is responsible for defending which player from the offense?

What does Jerod do as the coordinator? Decides which players are the starters and backups and who goes in when? Fire them up?

When Mayo was in his prime he was sometimes criticized on this board as he often did not show up in the Box Score, but he was every bit as much a leader as DMac, glad he is still here and probably the future HC of the NEP...

Or the criticism would go the opposite way, where he had 12 tackles but "they were all too far down the field to matter". He never got proper credit for what he brought to the team, IMO.

I really like Mayo and think he has a great intelligence of Football and the demeanor and Leadership that will shine with the players he coaches.
Saying that in this interview it shows how much of a rookie he is with the countless other duties that is needed to be a HC. Hopefully, BB opens his book of experience in all these duties to him for the next few years. Mayo then can be ready for a HC position. That position hopefully being our HC.
I truthfully feel that all the other Coordinators that leave here to become a HC fail, because they are really good at X’s and O’s but are lost on all the other duties that make a good HC.

This is where I get confused. Can someone who knows football clarify for me what the difference is between the game plan Xs and Os guy (Steve) and the Coordinator (Jerod)?

So Steve is drawing up who goes where on the field and dictates who is responsible for defending which player from the offense?

What does Jerod do as the coordinator? Decides which players are the starters and backups and who goes in when? Fire them up?
Let me try to give you the basics of what happens when you draw up a game plan in preparation for a game. First understand that whatever I say here is more complex at the pro level, simply because you have many more people working on it.

1. So first you look at you opponent. You have data that has been compiled on what the opponent has done THIS year. You have data on what the opponent had done over the last few years (assuming the coach has been around that long.) If we are talking about the defense, say, you will have data on what the HC and OC have historically liked to do in certain situations. THEN you will have massive data on the personnel of the other team. Who's good, Who's weak. Who may give a hint of what's coming by a lean, or how they set, or line up. THEN you need to go over what teams tend to do from each formation or motion combination. You study what teams are doing based of personnel groupings and down and distance tendencies. THEN you start to put that info together and try and determine what the offense will try and do to OUR defense, based on what they've done in the past when they play the Pats. In other words, how are going to attack what WE like to do on defense and how they might attack certain looks and personnel packages WE put out there. You know they are working with the same amount of data that we have.

2. Now you take what you have found FROM that data and start to organize a game plan that you HOPE can hold your opponent under 20 points that game. You start to create line ups and defensive looks that YOU think will create the best chance at stopping the opponent. What do you want to do in all the different SITUATIONS that will occur during the game based on all the info you gathered. Who do you want in the game on likely running plays, and what defense you want to run. The same goes for obvious passing downs. You do the same things based on what you now expect in certain down and distance situations, and what they like to do when they have certain players on the field. What blitz packages you think will be effective. What tendencies you've found. How much zone. How much man, etc

3. Now after you have done all of that, the next and perhaps the HARDEST task is how you are going to distill this MASSIVE amount of information into a game plan that your players can understand, AND do it simply enough so you don't induce paralysis by analysis. You have to decide just how much info your players need to know to be their most effective, AND the best way to pass on that info.

4 Now that you have take all that information and the basic game plan in mind, you have to plan your practice schedule for the week. You have to determine what specific drills you want to run during group practice and what individual activities you want to do in individual drills. Then during team work you have to prepare all the cards you need to use to run a scout team and who are the guys who are going to be on that teams and prepare THEM to be able to give good looks to the D You have to break down EVERY individual period and what you hope to accomplish during that hour and half to 2 hours of work. THEN you have to decide what film you want each individual group to see that week and what are the key elements each coach will want to point out,

5. Now that you have have the data and the player side taken care of by Tuesday, the coaches will spend the rest of the week determining how they want to call that game. What they want to do on all the different down and distance situations, etc and they have to figure out who they want on the field for each situation, and prepare those players to be ready.

In today's game one of the evolutions I've seen is all the situational substitutions you see. So many players coming on and off the field each down it almost looks like a hockey game. Preparing players to get on and off the field must be a difficult task that we fans take for granted, but I bet a LOT of work goes into this part of the game behind the scenes

I think the guy in charge of this vast operation is Jerad Mayo and Steve is the best guy they have to communicate to they green dot guys what they want to do on an individual play based on the down and distance, what was determined fits the game plan that was developed, and his general feel for the flow of the game

6. I forgot to add that a significant part of the game plan is PLAN B. All game plans do not work at times, so you have to have PREPARED a back up plan if the offense shows you something new. You also have to prepare how and what you are going to do at half time. You have to have organized how you are going to take what you learned in the first half and how you are going to adjust. By the time you arrive in the locker room you have to know what EACH coach is going to say to his group and how they are going to present it. Of course you don't know what you are going to say in that situation, but the organization and coordination of the flow of new information that you want to present has to be done by prior planning.

Understand, Mike, that this is just off the top of my head based on the experience of putting together defensive game plans on the HS level with just 4 guys helping. But the basic PROCESS is the same on every level. We lived by the 5 P:s (prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.) What you have in the pro game is the amount of info you have at hand is infinitely more than what I had to deal with AND the amount of people you have to develop that info is also much greater. We created weekly game plans as a group every Sunday at 6, in a meeting that could last past midnight sometimes, but from it would come the basic plan for the week. Hard work but it was a SO much simpler operation than what happens in Foxboro each week.

Hope that helps.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back