PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

James White gets a 3 year contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one has mentioned that James White is our best RB in pass protection, especially in picking up the blitzing LBs. We saw how important this skill is when Devonta Freeman whiffed in the Hightower forced fumble in SB LI.

For BB, it is all the small things that make a difference. White is a versatile and complete player and wouldn't have screwed up that play.

Since he's a running back, it would be great if he could learn to run.

Agreed. But he passed Lewis on the roster as a passing back last season and there's, clearly, value there for the Pats based upon that alone.

Agreed. But he passed Lewis on the roster as a passing back last season and there's, clearly, value there for the Pats based upon that alone.

I don't know that he actually passed Lewis as much as Lewis was being paced because of the ACL (time will tell), but I agree that there's value in White. If he never develops as a runner, he'll still be valuable as the 3dRB1 or 3dRB2 on a team that uses the 3dRBs as its primary RBs, in a lot of ways.

Guy went from someone I thought would trip over a long blade of grass to a SB MVP candidate.
Needs to learn how to run w/o falling over his cleats though.
Who knows - could build on a heroic Super Bowl performance and raise his game next season, a la Butler after he stole the game from Seattle.

I said traded I am that guy.
As far as Foster you may forget he played alot of slot receiver in school.
Has excellent quickness, he isnt getting on the field much as a back but his skill set may work well for a slot receiver.
Just saying

lol.gif

That didn't take long.

I'll just leave this here:

Patriots extend offer to Bills RFA RB Mike Gillislee

What, the 5 RB personnel package doesn't appeal to anyone?

So if Gillislee signs, I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion they're not drafting a RB. That's a hot take btw :)

Unless, of course, they draft Joe Mixon at 32 just for the shock value.

Brother Manx, this is BB we are talking about. What others consider a foregone conclusion piques BB's curiosity for drafting.

I remember a thread in the 2014 off-season advocating the Patriots extend Vereen while his value was low, his potential clear, and no other bidders. Very few forum members agreed with the thread, and neither did the Patriots. It looks they've learned their lesson.

This doesn't mean Lewis won't be back. But the Pats have a very good 3rd down back locked up. Which is only a good thing.

Brother Manx, this is BB we are talking about. What others consider a foregone conclusion piques BB's curiosity for drafting.

Well that's true enough but outside of the 6th round or lAter (i.e. practice squad fodder), I feel pretty good about this one. Including Gillespie, baby Gronk, Foster and Develin that would give us 7 RB/FBs on the roster. But you're not wrong. With BB, who knows?

I remember a thread in the 2014 off-season advocating the Patriots extend Vereen while his value was low, his potential clear, and no other bidders. Very few forum members agreed with the thread, and neither did the Patriots. It looks they've learned their lesson.

???

They were right not to keep Vereen.

Burkhart would most likely be the backup 3rd down back now or DJ Foster rather than Brandon Boldin.
True, how are you doing by the way these days bud? I'm doing better than ever. Aside the Celtics sucking in the playoffs things have all come together hah. Hope you are doing well also.

It's great to know that you are one of those insiders that knows exactly when extension talks are happening and how there are no other bidders even though that would be tampering but who cares.

Sorry but what you are writing is shortsighted. This is not Madden, it takes both sides to agree to make an early extension happen and if the player is not interested in your offer it won't happen. And the Pats have shown they are not getting into a dance with players about early extensions. They have their number and that's what you will get - take it or leave it. Sometimes the player takes it (e.g. Cannon or White) and will be playing on a team friendly deal, other times players take the risk and play the last season out (e.g. DMac).

It's ridiculous to blame the team on not extending someone early when it's not entirely in their hands especially in cases where the player has gone through multiple injuries.

Bear in mind this was the guy they thought showed LaDanian Tomlinson signs in his first pre-pad workouts. Maybe they think there's still more to come from him.
I, for one, am glad that he hasn't shown LT signs. I couldn't stand the pouting, complaining, and poor sportsmanship of Tomlinson.

No one has mentioned that James White is our best RB in pass protection, especially in picking up the blitzing LBs. We saw how important this skill is when Devonta Freeman whiffed in the Hightower forced fumble in SB LI.

Great point about James White's ability to pass protect. Wait until you see Gillislee pick up the blitz, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back