PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

It doesn't feel the same this time...

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
It's an hour until the first pitch of a World Series featuring the Boston Red Sox and suffice to say, I am very excited.

However, I'm not a nervous wreck. I haven't been so excited, anxious and or nervous that I was on the verge of throwing up all day. I was able to concentrate at work today. I'm not watching pre-game right now.

Etc., etc.

Does anyone else feel like this time around it feels incredibly different than in 04? I knew breaking the "curse" would be unique and something we could never really experience again, but it's just sooo different this time around and I guess I didn't expect that.

In 04, we had 86 years of losing to get off our backs. On top of this, from a personal standpoint, in 04, I was in college in Boston and living about 500 yards from Fenway Park. I would walk over to Fenway after every playoff game and just hang out with everybody else chanting, putting up signs, etc. The city was electric. And maybe now that I'm not in that proximity to it, maybe now that I can't go hang out around Fenway till the wee hours of the morning, sure, that's one aspect of it.

But I don't know, it just doesn't feel the same. Period. I wish it did. It's exciting in its own right, but just not the same. Anyone else?

Last edited:
Absolutely, the Yankee collapse and quick victory over the Cards changed everything.

Only after game 7 against the Indians did it occur to me that I'd never once had visions of ridiculously improbable doom. Of course I entertained thoughts that they might lose, but no Bucky Dents, Bill Buckners or Aaron Boones. I honestly thought that whichever team pitched best would win and that's it. Which for Baseball is pretty much the same thing as thinking that whichever team scores the most runs will win. Creepy.

Absolutely, the Yankee collapse and quick victory over the Cards changed everything.

Only after game 7 against the Indians did it occur to me that I'd never once had visions of ridiculously improbable doom. Of course I entertained thoughts that they might lose, but no Bucky Dents, Bill Buckners or Aaron Boones. I honestly thought that whichever team pitched best would win and that's it. Which for Baseball is pretty much the same thing as thinking that whichever team scores the most runs will win. Creepy.

Yeah. You'd think that security would feel good. But there was something exciting about the paranoia and bi-polar experience of being a Red Sox fan pre-2004! Maybe it'll just take time getting used to the Sox being a regular team with no monkey on its back.

It does feel different, but to me it all changed before the '04 WS even started. Heading into the series, I just KNEW that the Red Sox were going to not only win, but win convincingly (which they did). The comeback they had over the Yankees in the ALCS was simply unprecedented. With this comeback win over the Indians, it wasn't quite as electric because it's territory we've already charted (several times before, in fact). We're not in a strange new place anymore.

It does feel different, but to me it all changed before the '04 WS even started. Heading into the series, I just KNEW that the Red Sox were going to not only win, but win convincingly (which they did). The comeback they had over the Yankees in the ALCS was simply unprecedented. With this comeback win over the Indians, it wasn't quite as electric because it's territory we've already charted (several times before, in fact). We're not in a strange new place anymore.

That's a good point, the WS was a little anti-climactic compared to the Yanks series. Man, I wish I could just relive October 04 over and over.

That's a good point, the WS was a little anti-climactic compared to the Yanks series. Man, I wish I could just relive October 04 over and over.

I wish I could to, but that's probably because I missed actually watching most of the games because of work. The one game I took a day off to watch was game 3 of the ALCS....

Last edited:
Problem is Francona ... the chances of him having a brain f@rt are slim & none. too much by the book this guy ... he's made me retrain my old Red Sox the sky is about to fall brain. ;)

Seriously, these guys don't beat themselves. Most of the time we lose when we get beat unlike the old Red Sox who loved to beat themselves at the worst possible time. ... I like the new Sox ... hopefully the Bruins are watching.

yea it just isn't asmuch of a thriller, but i wont complain 2 much if we win

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back