PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ty Law happy now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more about a good, winning situation, and a likely hopeless LOSING situation. But you are right, there is more than one reason to want to go somewhere, and clearly the combo of extra $$$ and a chance to work again with Herm tipped the balance in KC's favor. That's fine. It's not like he's electrocuting dogs or anything.

The implication by many here, for years, has been that Ty law, Milloy, Woody and others should have taken their deals because this was such a great organization to work for.

Again, WHO IS ARGUING THAT? Straw men, left and right.

No, I believe the question is, "HOW HARD AM I F-ing LAUGHING?" ONCE AGAIN a professional athlete finds out the hard way that money - especially at this level - isn't everything. Hope you're having fun, Ty. So much for the HOF, huh?

I really disagree and I doubt Ty Law sees it that way. He had his rings and he did what he felt he needed to do to secure his future. More power to him.

The implication by many here, for years, has been that Ty law, Milloy, Woody and others should have taken their deals because this was such a great organization to work for.

No, I think the argument has been made by many that they would've been better off here b/c this team is going to win and win and win, and that ultimately the players would wind up in crappy LOSING situations. And hey - look! jets, KC, Buffalo, Atlanta, Detroit. Hm...

I'm not about to dismiss Law's HOF chances yet.

He has 50 career INTs, not top 20 all time, but if he can get 8 more, he'll retire in the top 10.

He has several big game picks, the TD in Super Bowl 36, and his picks of Peyton Manning in the 2003 AFC championship game as well in last January's playoff game.

He's a 4 time pro-bowler and will be forever linked to the Patriots dynasty, even if his time here was cut short.

IMO, the only cornerbacks of this generation who have been higher-profile than Law are Aenas Williams and Champ Bailey.

What part of "Ty Law didn't want to play in New England any more" don't people understand? He wanted to work for Herm. He wanted to make more money, and he wanted out of New England. He accomplished all three. It will take Asante another year or two. Believe it or not, some players really do prefer to work elsewhere.

The patriots are one of the best run, most successful sports enterprises in history. It does not follow that everyone should want to work for the patriots rather than for anyone else.

What part of Pioli saying "If not for the Postons, Ty would have remained a Patriot." do you not understand.

This is the bottom line, Ty Law was the best Corner in the league. He got greety and now he is paying the consequences by being in a mediocre or better yet awful squad. He had his chance to come back to the Pats (by the way I am one of his biggest fans) but chose other wise. Is he happy, I doubt it. Hall of Famer, just maybe if he was still in NE.

The original question in this post really is asking "what do you think?"

There are no implications of similarity and the fact is that every player who left the team had a unique situation and different reasons for doing so. With Ty, I was recalling that the team offered him in the spring of 2004, his last season with the team, a contract consistent with what he ended up receiving with the Jets. Problem was he refused to sign when the Pats first offered that amount and indicated he was worth far more. Then, after suffering an injury during the season and missing the playoffs and Super Bowl, he and his agents indicated that he'd be willing to reconsider the original offer. The problem was that the Pats took the offer off the table.

He went to the Jets who had to jettison him after one season due to being way over the cap. Here is a quote from an interview when he was looking for a new team in the spring of 2006. It appears that Ty wants to be on a winning organization:

"Law and his agent also are talking with the Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns and Patriots. But Law likes his chances of adding to his legacy with the Seahawks.
"Although I did have a season no one thought I would have last year, it just didn't satisfy me at all," he said of intercepting 10 passes and being voted to the Pro Bowl for the 4-12 Jets.
"I'm used to winning. So the objective is to go somewhere with a chance to compete and an opportunity to win. I really, really want an opportunity to win again, and I definitely think that could come in Seattle."

Here's the link for the full article: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/266227_hawk11.html

So yes, he did end up with Herm again. And while it's nothing more than pure speculation on my part, I have to wonder why. I believe that he's more comfortable in the Herm Edwards' environment, as he doesn't have to be accountable, can play the star role, and has it easier than BB would ever allow. The other big difference is that BB is proving that he can maintain a winning environment far longer than Herm.

It's an interesting discussion during the slow days of pre-season, as I too was disappointed that Law couldn't stay with the Pats. Now, in hindsight, the Pats may be better off than if he accepted that first offer in the spring of 2004. Although, I would have liked having Law play in the AFC Championship game last season.

Last edited:
Since I don't know the man, I'm not sure how I'm able to have any clue to this answer.

Were it me, a highly paid professional football player, in good health, at the end of a really good career - I can't see why I wouldn't be happy.

Ty Law used to be my favorite Patriot period.
It crushed me when he was a Jet then he had a chance to make things right and come back I brushed the dust and dirt off my Law jersey then he goes with
clock killing Edwards.
I don't think we will ever see Ty back with the pats ever again except as maybe a coach and being he picked herm over BB he'd pry coach for his team.
Yes I do agree the Chiefs will be horrible this year how bad did Croyle look?
He looked terrible I lost money cause i bet that they would combine for more than 37 points well they had 37 points period only 7 coming from the offensive offense of the Chiefs.

Ty Law is already a Hall of Famer. If he doesn't get in it will be because the Hall is biased against defensive players.

Ty needs to feed his family.

I'm not about to dismiss Law's HOF chances yet.

He has 50 career INTs, not top 20 all time, but if he can get 8 more, he'll retire in the top 10.

He has several big game picks, the TD in Super Bowl 36, and his picks of Peyton Manning in the 2003 AFC championship game as well in last January's playoff game.

He's a 4 time pro-bowler and will be forever linked to the Patriots dynasty, even if his time here was cut short.

IMO, the only cornerbacks of this generation who have been higher-profile than Law are Aenas Williams and Champ Bailey.

I think the only thing that could hold him back from Canton is the fact that the writers don't induct nearly enough defensive players, as many of us already know. In any game on any team, there are 2 starting wide receivers and 4 starting defensivebacks. Yet, there are only 17 db's versus 18 wr's in the hall of fame.

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/fromthe50/stories/080107dnspofromthe50.cbd2be2f.html

Last edited:
$$$$ Get Paid $$$$$$

Put me squrely in the camp of those who believe that players who think that quality of life is measured solely in doallars are short-sighted. I'm not even sure its a good business decision to take the money. Guys like Law and Malloy took more short-term dollars but sacrificed $ that come with endorsements and community recognition that will serve players like Bruschi well in the future. My question is, is there any way for the organization to educate players like Samuels from the time they come to the team in an attempt to broaden their horizons? Just a thought.

Last edited:
You guys seem to be missing the boat here.

The question is whether Ty Law is happy, and the answer is NO because he is on a ****ty team.

As far as the chances of him genuflecting back on 'what could have been' if he remained a Patriot, that ain't gonna happen. Ty Law doesn't go there. Except to feel in his mind that he was right to move on because look at the Pats lately, they have lost in the playoffs without Ty.

Ty Law is not spending a single second wondering 'what if this' or 'what if that'. He has his money and he thinks that everybody knows how great he is. He thinks everyone knows he is better than Champ Bailey.

Maybe, just maybe, when he is old and gray and not in the HOF, it will occur to him that he should have stayed with the Patriots.

But just because some of us wanted him to stay is entirely irrelevant to his current state of mind. His view of us currently is along the lines of 'the Patriots FO disrespected me with their stingy offers....and now they can't win it all anymore without me.'

He also probably thinks that he has the upper hand because we failed to win the superbowl these last couple years and left the playoff in key situations where he thinks he could have made the difference. Ty probably feels that this increases his worthiness and bolsters the point of view that we should have paid him more money and that he was right to follow the free market.

You can't try to figure Ty's psychology out and at the same time somehow twist it around to be from our Patfan point of view. His point of view is very different than ours.

Sad his team sucks and not really thinking much about the Pats at all. After all, he has the peace of mind now that he can feed his family. :cool:

Last edited:
I don't think he cares so much about winning like he used to. He goes to work like everyone else and does his business. He probably wouldn't mind not making the playoffs. It means golf is coming earlier this year. He's going to be set for life, earning a good portion of his income and livlihood in his twilight years in the NFL. Football and winning games doesn't mean as much as it used to. Just look at Tarik Glenn, Strahan, Barber, and even Barry Sanders. They just don't care after a while. Is he happy? Well, he isn't after losing a game, but that's fleeting. He goes home and puts whatever happens on the field behind him, win or lose, and doesn't look back. It's just work.

What part of "Ty Law didn't want to play in New England any more" don't people understand? He wanted to work for Herm. He wanted to make more money, and he wanted out of New England.

I stipulate that Ty does like playing for Herm. Then Pioli was wrong or being 'disengenuous' when he said they coulda signed Ty were it not for the Postons, his agents?

Last edited:
I don't think he cares so much about winning like he used to. He goes to work like everyone else and does his business. He probably wouldn't mind not making the playoffs. It means golf is coming earlier this year. He's going to be set for life, earning a good portion of his income and livlihood in his twilight years in the NFL. Football and winning games doesn't mean as much as it used to. Just look at Tarik Glenn, Strahan, Barber, and even Barry Sanders. They just don't care after a while. Is he happy? Well, he isn't after losing a game, but that's fleeting. He goes home and puts whatever happens on the field behind him, win or lose, and doesn't look back. It's just work.

Correct, in his outside life he is perfectly content I would think.

But he is a competitior, and from a football standpoint, there is simply no chance that he is happy to be losing games. Unlike some football players, Ty's career means a lot to him, as it is the entire basis for his giant ego. He probably has a burning desire to make the pro-bowl just to differentiate himself from the horse manure around him.

The whole idea of him genuflecting back on 'what if' still remains a non-issue, in my opinion.

Let's face reality. Money is everything to most professional football players.

For every Ty Warren, Matt Light, Dan Koppen, and Tom Brady; there are

ten Deon Branches, David Givens, Daniel Grahams, Damien Woodys, and

Ty Laws. Show them the money. Championships don't feed their families.

I don't think you could put Givens or Graham in that sentence. I don't think money was the most important factor in either of their decisions.

Givens was offered number 1 money and was expected to take the #1 spot for the Titans.

Graham wanted to be involved in the passing game more and the Broncos offered him number 1 money and they expect him to be the number 1 TE.

In both situations the Pats offered very competetive money (recognizing their value) but other teams offered something that the Pats couldn't, guaranteeing that they will be "The Man" (or at least given the inside track). And I can't blame either of them for trying to take advantage of that.

Edit: Didn't mean to pile on I should have read the 2nd page before replying to you.

Last edited:
Here is what I think about Ty being happy. I don't care.

I don't wish him unhappiness but I don't care if he is happy with the Chiefs or not. I appreciated him when he was playing for the Patriots but when he left he became just another NFL player to me. If the Patriots ever play the Chiefs, then I hope that Ty is very unhappy after the game.

Other than that, I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft