PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Is Ty Law happy now???

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the Rams Super Bowl int. return, which obviously was the turning point of that game and of course his outstanding play against the Colts with the 3 picks in 04(?), he will always be positively viewed by me.

I feel positive about any Patriots player who left, no matter what the circumstance, that helped them win a Super Bowl. And Ty Law did that. And Branch and Givens and Adam and others. They hopefully won't be the last that help win future Super Bowls and leave for whatever reason they have and no matter what the BBioli offered. They aren't going to be able to keep every player.

No, I believe the question is, "HOW HARD AM I F-ing LAUGHING?" ONCE AGAIN a professional athlete finds out the hard way that money - especially at this level - isn't everything. Hope you're having fun, Ty. So much for the HOF, huh?

Well said, as usual PatSox. That is exactly how I look at it. Law has always been about the money, but you have to wonder if seeing such a strong Pats' team (no, I don't think it's too early to say that) makes him regret his continual chase for the buck. I"m laughing too!

Well said, as usual PatSox. That is exactly how I look at it. Law has always been about the money, but you have to wonder if seeing such a strong Pats' team (no, I don't think it's too early to say that) makes him regret his continual chase for the buck. I"m laughing too!

Ty Law left for less money. Why many Patriots fans think all these players who left really wish they'd stayed is ridiculous. Ty Law has as many Super Bowl rings as BB does. Why would he care if he were still a Patriot?

If the patriots hadn't been "all about the money" as you put it, the patriots and Ty Law would have one more ring.

Ty Law left for less money. Why many Patriots fans think all these players who left really wish they'd stayed is ridiculous. Ty Law has as many Super Bowl rings as BB does. Why would he care if he were still a Patriot?

Wrong and wrong.

The Chiefs offered a contract that could be worth up to $31.5M. The Patriots offered a contract that if all incentives were reached would have maxed out at $11m: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/07/law_follow.html

Secondly, BB has 5 Super Bowl rings, and Ty Law has three, the third of which he didn't even play in the Super Bowl (he played 7 games that year, 2004).

Wrong and wrong. Secondly, BB has 5 Super Bowl rings, and Ty Law has three, the third of which he didn't even play in the Super Bowl (he played 7 games that year, 2004).

That doesn't fly. We've been taking about Law and the Patriots. Ty Law never had a chance to play for the Giants. And someone earlier in this thread showed how he's made less money than he would of had he stayed. Frankly this notion that players that leave really are losing sleep over it and wish they'd stayed, little more than blind homerism. As if every player wishes he were a Patriot.

You can continue to believe that players should want to play here for less because this is a WINNING organization. That attitude convinced pioli that we should wait and sign Law and Branch.

WHAT??? What are you talking about? Pioli waited to sign Law and Branch because the Pats have an organizational philosophy that WORKS and they they stick to. Does it always work out? Do we ALWAYS win the Super Bowl? No, of course not. But you seem, at this point, dug in to what you "know" is your "winning" argument and so you're tailoring everything to fit that - and trotting out a bunch of false premises to support it.

Ty Law has as many Super Bowl rings as Tom Brady

Got it. Therefore the Patriots are NOT a winning organization and are not better positioned than, say, the Kansas City F-ing CHIEFS in terms of continuing to be a championship caliber franchise. Good call, guys! The complete lack of intellectual honesty in your replies is stunning to me.

Last edited:
You are making the call. No one else is suggesing that KC is a more winning organziation than the chiefs.

Got it. Therefore the Patriots are NOT a winning organization and are not better positioned than, say, the Kansas City F-ing CHIEFS in terms of continuing to be a championship caliber franchise. Good call, guys! The complete lack of intellectual honesty in your replies is stunning to me.

Saying Ty Law wishes he were still a Patriot because they've won more games than the Chiefs is blind homerism.

You can agree or not. That is your priviledge. My position is that

1) Had pioli had made an exception to his philosophy, and had signed Law and Branch for more that what he, Pioli, thought they were worth, THEN the patriots would have been much more likely to win the Super Bowl. Somehow, they would have been an improvement of Kight and Baker. The cap money was there. Exceptions were made for Seymour and for Warren. He had the chance; he made his choice.

I did not say, at the time, or now, that Pioli SHOULD have signed Law or Branch. Personally, I would have liked Law signed (for $2M or $3M more a year than we offered) and would not have like him to sign Branch.

2) Had pioli had a bit more conservative view of his negotiation team's ability to sign Law and Branch, then he might have some two players somewhere would have helped us more in 2006 than having cap money left to move to 2007 (that will ulimately end up in 2010). He came into the season with Branch. Caldwell and Brown with no backups, and no backup plans. With regard to Law, he simple could have gotten alternative help. Having to trade for Gabriel and sign street free agents was almost good enough in the end. Pioli almost made up for his mis-judgement.
------------------------------------------

In the end, pioli did what he decided was best. As a practical matter, he isn't always right. There were many choices made last year with regard to the cap money. Pioli CHOSE to move the money into 2010 (or perhaps 2009), when we will indeed need the cap money. I, personally don't think that he made the best decision for 2006, for 2007 or for 2008. If holding the line with Law and Branch was necessary, so be it. He certainly could have made better use of the cap money. And no, I do not have a list of players that might have been signed for $5M-$7M over three years. But let me assure you that during the entire offseason before Game One of last year, pioli could have found some one or two players that would have made it more likely that we would win the Super Bowl.

And just BTW, pioli did NOT have the same attitude this year. Look at the contract values! There is no way that the pioli of 2006 would have paid that kind of money to Welker, to Stallworth, to Brady, or to Washington, or perhaps even to Warren.

WHAT??? What are you talking about? Pioli waited to sign Law and Branch because the Pats have an organizational philosophy that WORKS and they they stick to. Does it always work out? Do we ALWAYS win the Super Bowl? No, of course not. But you seem, at this point, dug in to what you "know" is your "winning" argument and so you're tailoring everything to fit that - and trotting out a bunch of false premises to support it.

I'll take whatever percentages of Adalius Thomas and/or Randy Moss and/or Donte Stallworth - AND the flipped #1 in the 2008 draft - for not having OVERPAID Deion Branch. Especially given the fact that this team ABSOLUTELY should have gone to, and won, the Super Bowl this year. It's such an easy potshot argument to say, "Well, if we'd just had Deion Branch we would've beaten the Colts!" But we had no business losing that game even WITHOUT Deion Branch. About ten different things happened, any ONE of which hadn't occurred and we would've won the game.

The D, for whatever reason - flu, poor officiating, poor execution, a combo, whatever - DIDN'T GET IT DONE in the 2nd half against Indy. The offense put up 34 points, which should be PLENTY, even against the Colts. Branch may be convenient for your argument, but it's a pretty flimsy argument, given all the other factors that went into that unacceptably terrible loss.

Last edited:
I would say he is happy. He still gets his pay check every Wednesday, and thats all he probably cares about. He probably would want to be on a great team, but to him the money comes first.

Yes the money is the highest priority for Ty.

Playing for a coach he wants to play for is a second priority.

Not playing in a city that where he prefers not playing a third, but much lower priority.

I would say he is happy. He still gets his pay check every Wednesday, and thats all he probably cares about. He probably would want to be on a great team, but to him the money comes first.

Actually, Ty Law left for more money. The fact that he wasn't able to get it doesn't mean that that's not why he left. He was "disrespected" by the Patriots low ball (in his opinion) offer.

I can't believe you really intend to convince people that money wasn't the major factor in his flight from the Patriots. But good luck trying.

law is all about the money. I really don't think he cares if the team he is on wins or loses - he only cares about the money. There are plenty of players like that unfortunately. Some of them are able to play for winners later on once they realize how shallow they are. Others don't get the chance or never grow out of the money grubbing.

Saying Ty Law wishes he were still a Patriot because they've won more games than the Chiefs is blind homerism.

I didn't say that. When did I EVER say Ty Law "wished" anything?

I don't know how Lawyer fared... He certainly has regrets, as he has told Tommy on many occasions

Lawyer got his money at the expense of his football legacy IMO. When I think "Patriot Dynasty", I think of players like Rodney Harrison, Teddy Bruschi, Willie McGinnest, Richard Seymour, and Mike Vrabel. Milloy isn't even on the list.

I can't believe you really intend to convince people that money wasn't the major factor in his flight from the Patriots. But good luck trying.

I never said that. I'm really posting in objection to what the original thread title and 1st post said. The idea that Ty Law isn't happy because he lefvt the Patriots. That the thread has changed some, well it happens a lot here and what's transpired since that 1st post, I'm not part of.

He IS "feeding his family" though and he gets to feel that awesome "re-speck" every time his direct deposit hits the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back