PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Wolf picks Daniels and he busts, then JJ becomes a star…

I would not make this decision just based on the qb evaluation Because other personnel like the oc etc were involved in this decision as well imo and if wolf makes goods signings and draft picks besides the qb its ok

I mean, Wolf isn't signed to a 6 year contract or anything, so it's fair to say his long term status is very much in the air.

But this argument could be made swapping any two QB names in there, depending on who's available.

If Daniels goes 2nd, he chooses Maye and JJ becomes a star...

If Maye goes 2nd, he chooses JJ and Daniels becomes a star...

If whoever goes 2nd, he chooses to trade down to 6 and drafts Joe Alt (even if Joe Alt turns into a HoF LT), and one or both of the QBs that were there become a star...

Etc, etc. A GM's job is to evaluate and pick the best players they think they can get. When too many of those decisions go wrong, the team moves on. Hopefully he's up to the task, and let's be honest, all GM's need to get a bit lucky too.

Is JJ the consensus pick in the draft room and Wolf ignores everyone and goes Daniels, that is a big strike against him but not as big as the opposite way where Daniels is not only the consensus in the draft room but in the public and he goes contrarian and picks JJ. That will get you fired.

The optics are important when it comes to judging the GM for a failed QB pick, especially in their first draft. If Wolf picks one of the 4 in 3 there is enough reasonable doubt to allow him to stay if he surrounds the QB with enough talent to be successful. If he is seen as one of the guys who set the table for failure, he is gone.

Firing people for what is essentially a crap shoot is pretty stupid policy.

Agree completely. You have to look at the whole body of work, and take into account the fact that you have to take some risks to get great players . Gronk had been taken off numerous draft boards because of his back injuries, but Belichick gambled on him in the 2nd and got a 1st ballot HOF TE.

Whatever the issue, it is likely that a rebuilding team with a new QB will have its share of failure for a year or two. Teams with poor leadership hit the flush and repeat button too soon. Constantly replacing coaches, front office and making major personnel changes leaves the team starting over again and again without establishing any foundation to build from. Teams with strong leadership don't panic and make strategic changes to build towards establishing a winning culture and a consistently competitive team. RKK is a bit of a wildcard, we will find out what taking back my team really means if the next couple of seasons don't go as planned.

Last edited:
Look at San Francisco. They went Lance at #3 after mortgaging their future with trading those first-round picks, only to have the last pick in the draft end up as their starter. At least if whoever it is busts, the more important thing is ultimately ending up with a viable guy under center long-term, and it's up to Wolf to find and make that call. But there are clearly no guarantees. You can swing and miss, but there needs to be other guys at least somewhere in the wings who might ultimately pan out. While it would be great if they hit on whoever at #3, if the cupboard ends up being completely empty if that person falters, then that would be more of a concern.

That being said - and I've said it a few times - he and Highsmith are solid, based on their history. Like everyone else, they're not perfect, but they certainly get it right more often than most.

Last edited:
Whatever the issue, it likely that a rebuilding team with a n QB will have its share of failure for a year or two. Teams with poor leadership hit the flush and repeat button too soon. Constantly replacing coaches, front office and making major personnel changes leaves the team starting over again and again without establishing any foundation to build from. Teams with strong leadership don't panic and make strategic changes to build towards establishing a winning culture and a consistently competitive team. RKK is a bit of a wildcard, we will find out what taking back my team really means if the next couple of seasons don't go as planned.
It's interesting that people sit there and credit Caserio for what went on in Houston but they didn't exactly show a lot of patience with head coaches. Credit him for building the team, but I find it a little surprising that it's not like they let who they had weather that storm. Sort of makes you wonder what would happen with Mayo if the same thing happened here. Kraft likes him, but I don't know exactly how that might play out.

It's interesting that people sit there and credit Caserio for what went on in Houston but they didn't exactly show a lot of patience with head coaches. Credit him for building the team, but I find it a little surprising that it's not like they let who they had weather that storm. Sort of makes you wonder what would happen with Mayo if the same thing happened here. Kraft likes him, but I don't know exactly how that might play out.

We also don't know what Houston would have done had they had the #1 overall pick. Would they have taken Bryce Young? Would Young have had a better season in Houston than he did in Carolina, or is Stroud really that much better? This goes back to what I was saying about luck: Sometimes you just need the right guy to fall to you. You still have to make the right evaluation to take him, but he has to be there too.

Reactions: Ian
The "consensus" is that the QBs are ranked Williams - Daniels - Maye - McCarthy. If Wolf took the #2 QB with the #3 pick, and he busts, but the #4 QB turns out good, I don't see how that's a fireable offense.

Now if he took McCarthy at #3 while Daniels was still available, and the opposite happens (McCarthy busts, Daniels becomes a star), that might be a different story - because that's really against common consensus and then the expected outcome occurred. However, it also depends on what the consensus in the Patriots front office itself is.

Not being able to entice quality FAs .....and also ......botching the #3 pick would be a problem.

Hopefully he endears himself with Thunder + Thunder Jr. It's working for Mayo.

Pick any bust at 3 and you're on thin ice. The successful players picked afterwards are just used as examples to pile on your failure. It doesn't matter which bust you picked at 3, or who turned out to be a hit in the rest of the top 10. The only thing that matters is getting your pick right.

Obviously such an outcome would figure in his evaluation, but it would be but one factor among many. Picking QB's is in every case something of a crap shoot, so his being "fired" solely for missing on the one pick would be precipitous and foolish. The Krafts are smart enough to know this.

A crapshoot implies no skill is required. Why have a GM, then? Why not choose with a random number generator? I think it’s more like Texas Hold’em. You need both luck and skill to win, because much of the information to make perfect decisions based on the state of play is hidden.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back