PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If the Patriots win Sunday, could it be Don Shula handing them the trophy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsfan209

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else here thought of this as a possibility.

If lets say the Giants win it Sunday, I could see Goodell easily be on the podium handing the team the Lombardi. But if its the Pats winning, he could feel that the last coach with the undefeated season should hand the trophy to the new undefeated champs, sorta like the symbolic "passing of the torch" way and Goodell doesn't need to be there.

Don't know if anyone else here thought of this as a possibility.

If lets say the Giants win it Sunday, I could see Goodell easily be on the podium handing the team the Lombardi. But if its the Pats winning, he could feel that the last coach with the undefeated season should hand the trophy to the new undefeated champs, sorta like the symbolic "passing of the torch" way and Goodell doesn't need to be there.
Old man Shula would wet his depends and die, but I like the Idea of the "passing of the torch".

Last edited:
please god no....

It gets Goodell off the hook of potentially having to hand the trophy to Kraft and Belichick..................Shula would probably tell us why his club was better because they got there first.........

Naah. It would be too painful for Shula to be personally there.
Besides, I don't want to give any attention to the old man who has been trying to discredit the Pats accomplishments this whole season!
Let Goodell swallow his pride and hand the Lombardi to BB and Kraft, coach and owner of the SB Champs.
Anyways, it's his job isn't it?

Last edited:
It gets Goodell off the hook of potentially having to hand the trophy to Kraft and Belichick..................Shula would probably tell us why his club was better because they got there first.........
I thought I read that Goodell and Kraft are friends. Anyway, there is about as much chance of Shula handing the Lombardi to our guys after the Pats win as Pacman Jones.

Kraft and Goodell hugged on the field after the Week 17 Giants game.

Goodell should not be a villain in New England. He did what he had to do to protect the integrity of the game.

A memo went to every team. The Pats ignored it and got caught. They were arrogant.

Goodell acted quickly and destroyed all the evidence. Probably because it showed that other teams do the same types of things (and he knew it anyway).

He probably also placed a gag order on Kraft and Belichick to not talk about the matter further. Why else would they say nothing?

He hoped the whole thing would go away. This became a non-hardcore fan story... and those folks don't know that sign stealing is small stuff. You can use a camera to shoot the same stuff from a different angle for gosh sakes.

But the huge turmoil created threatened to shake the integrity of the league. Thus, swift punishment, "let's move on," a hug between Kraft and Goodell, etc.

Goodell would have no problem handing the trophy to Kraft.

By the way, Shula did present the trophy last year in Miami. Not sure that Arizona has any famous football sons to make the presentation.

Goodell already took himself off the hook just in case. He is having Doug Williams, the first black QB to win a Superbowl, make the presentation on the 20th anniversary of his win... I can never remember not seeing the Commissioner not make the presentation...

Last edited:
Don Shula needs to remain in his seat all time because he is a spectator.

The entire premise of this thread is off. Goodell has never seemed to be against the PATS and I see no reason why he would feel uncomfortable in congratulating the team. At times I think he might be over the top but he has been that way in all cases. If anything I have felt that Goodell has tried to protect his policies/rules while protecting his teams.

I actually thought of this today and i wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents