I watched a different game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've stopped reading game posts.

In the game I watched, the refs were absolutely aweful. But at a certain point in the game, the offense had two unabated drives and the defense was unstoppable.

1. Brady had a decision to make. Had he made a different decision, the score was 10-9, with all the momentum to the patriots. If you all believe that we would have definitely lost the game if we had kicked a field goal, undoubtedly because the refs wouldn't let us win, then you are entitled to that position.

IN SPITE OF THE REFS, if Brady had made a different decision, or executed better, or if Denver didn't capitalize on the mistake, we would have been in an even game.
-------------------------------------------------------
2. Even after Brady put us in the hole, we still had a chance. The Brown muff and even later the Hobbs fumble sealed our fate.
--------------------------------------------------------

Again, believe as you will, but personally I believe that the patriots are a good enough team to have a very good chance of winning had we not made these mistakes, and had Denver not capitalized on our mistakes.

And on the other side of the ball, Denver mad almost no critical mistakes. This is the sign of a team that is ready to win.
---------------------------------------------

When a team makes 5 critical errors to the other teams none or one, some fans in Oakland or Indy and elsewhere blame the refs. Some fans of other teams congratulate the other team for their good play, and blame our players for the mistakes, as Brady did.

mgteich said:
I've stopped reading game posts.

In the game I watched, the refs were absolutely aweful. But at a certain point in the game, the offense had two unabated drives and the defense was unstoppable.

1. Brady had a decision to make. Had he made a different decision, the score was 10-9, with all the momentum to the patriots. If you all believe that we would have definitely lost the game if we had kicked a field goal, undoubtedly because the refs wouldn't let us win, then you are entitled to that position.

IN SPITE OF THE REFS, if Brady had made a different decision, or executed better, or if Denver didn't capitalize on the mistake, we would have been in an even game.
-------------------------------------------------------
2. Even after Brady put us in the hole, we still had a chance. The Brown muff and even later the Hobbs fumble sealed our fate.
--------------------------------------------------------

Again, believe as you will, but personally I believe that the patriots are a good enough team to have a very good chance of winning had we not made these mistakes, and had Denver not capitalized on our mistakes.

And on the other side of the ball, Denver mad almost no critical mistakes. This is the sign of a team that is ready to win.
---------------------------------------------

When a team makes 5 critical errors to the other teams none or one, some fans in Oakland or Indy and elsewhere blame the refs. Some fans of other teams congratulate the other team for their good play, and blame our players for the mistakes, as Brady did.

And we appreciate it....we know 90% of you guys are knowledgable, classy fans....its only 10% of you that are whining idiots.

5 turnovers, no whining

broncoted said:
And we appreciate it....we know 90% of you guys are knowledgable, classy fans....its only 10% of you that are whining idiots.
i'm with ya mgteich.
BB pretty much expressed my thouughts on the matter:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

those calls were possibly the best those guys could do. i gotta say they didn't half-^^^it. for every call, there was an official standing right there.
maybe that crew should not have been working the game in the first place. as you know, each official and each crew gets a numerical rating every game and every year. only the top 8 crews get to work playoff games, then it's pared to the top 4 crews. the crew with the highest rating gets to work the SB and the all-star game. i think that's what BB is referring to. he and shanahan probably knew from the start that they had a poor crew.

quoting bb (courtesy of boston.com

(On the officiating)
"Well, there were some real questionable decisions. There's no doubt about that. But the bottom line is we didn't play well enough to win. Didn't coach well enough to win. Denver was the better team last night. There were some things that went against us, but I don't think that was the difference in the game. I think Denver deserved to win because they played better. There were certainly some very questionable decisions in that game that I'm surprised that was a playoff crew, but that didn't decide the outcome of the game. I think it would've been a lot worse if it had come down to one play and that play had been a questionable call or something like that. There really wasn't the case."

ilduce06410 said:
i'm with ya mgteich.
BB pretty much expressed my thouughts on the matter:
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

those calls were possibly the best those guys could do. i gotta say they didn't half-^^^it. for every call, there was an official standing right there.
maybe that crew should not have been working the game in the first place. as you know, each official and each crew gets a numerical rating every game and every year. only the top 8 crews get to work playoff games, then it's pared to the top 4 crews. the crew with the highest rating gets to work the SB and the all-star game. i think that's what BB is referring to. he and shanahan probably knew from the start that they had a poor crew.

The 2 biggest plays of that game were the horrible PI call and the Bailey INT. The pats were playing terrific defense and without that PI call they most likely would have stopped the broncos, maybe they get into field goal range. But still even after that crap it's 10-6 and we are in the red zone, 3rd and goal on the 5. Brady tried to do too much, and he should have at least thrown it deep to the back corner of the endzone so either Troy makes a great catch or it's incomplete. But that's a 10 point play right there, instead of 10-9 it's 17-6. Those 2 plays were the game changers that unlike in other years, this time we weren't able to overcome.

I don't think the Bailey INT was a bad decision by Brady. I think it was a poor throw, poorly executed. We've seen brady make that same exact play to Brown a hundred times, usually on short yardage situations. He usually does it on the run too. But he threw it inside instead of outside. Usually on that same play Brady throws the ball practically out of bounds and Brown has to stretch to grab it while keeping his feet in bounds. I don't think that was a bad decision by brady. I think it was a poor throw.

What the poster said was quite true. Brady was responsible for the pick, however you want to spin it... but it's not like we'd be here if not for him.

There's nothing wrong for congradulating the Broncos for winning the game and making the plays they needed to. I just tend to bristle when people start to say how great they did.

This is the kind of game we used to win....

Remember when we beat the Rams in the Super Bowl. They stopped our offense, but they turned the ball over and we didn't it.

You turn the ball over five times, you lose.

The sad part is had we pulled it out, we'd have a home game next week and would probably be looking at a three peat.

CheerforTom said:
What the poster said was quite true. Brady was responsible for the pick, however you want to spin it... but it's not like we'd be here if not for him.

There's nothing wrong for congradulating the Broncos for winning the game and making the plays they needed to. I just tend to bristle when people start to say how great they did.

There is a big difference between losing and getting beat.

We lost.

Exactly...we didn't play well enough to win....bad breaks are going to occur on enemy soil...it's just the way it is...a champion overcomes...we fell short

That being said...there is a ton of pressure lifted off this team...they can just play next season without the weight of all this threepeat nonsense every damn week....I feel they will have a very strong year....you NEED the homefield to get to the Bowl I believe

The worst part about the loss is our defense played terrific. Besides the one 40 yard pass interference gimme,I can't recall a drive in which Denver drove the ball more than 35yds on our defense. Two drives which started from the 1 yard and one that started from the 15. There isn't too many defenses that have walked this planet that could of stopped those scores.

Hence I tip my cap to the Broncos,they forced the turnovers and won the game. I seem to remember back in 03 when the NY Giants kicked our asses all over the field in the regular season. They outgaineed us by a grip and the only way we won that game was by their 5 or 6 turnovers. This is why Bill is the way he is and knows any given game can be this way. He preaches and preaches it almost to death.

However unimpressive the win was on Denvers part,they won the game and as Bellichick would say "It is what it is"

Yup; it is what it is. And we are what we are, a playoff team that won one playoff game.

I hadn't notice your name. Are you the real "Patriot Missile"? Are you there Zeke?

Patriot Missile said:
The worst part about the loss is our defense played terrific. Besides the one 40 yard pass interference gimme,I can't recall a drive in which Denver drove the ball more than 35yds on our defense. Two drives which started from the 1 yard and one that started from the 15. There isn't too many defenses that have walked this planet that could of stopped those scores.

Hence I tip my cap to the Broncos,they forced the turnovers and won the game. I seem to remember back in 03 when the NY Giants kicked our asses all over the field in the regular season. They outgaineed us by a grip and the only way we won that game was by their 5 or 6 turnovers. This is why Bill is the way he is and knows any given game can be this way. He preaches and preaches it almost to death.

However unimpressive the win was on Denvers part,they won the game and as Bellichick would say "It is what it is"

Yes I am the official scud-buster.

BTW 24 points off turnovers with a combined yardage of 24 yards. Makes me want to throw up lol. All I keep telling myself is? Your ok,Your team won 3 out of 4 superbowls. Be thankful etc,,I must be a greedy sob cuz I don't feel much better:)

Well, I said before the turnovers were a critical factor against us. That said, I still think we were only slightly better than the Broncos as far as line play, running, and passing the ball. The bad breaks from the officials or a big play from Rod Smith could easily have beaten us. Or the Broncos got the ball last needing only a walkoff FG from Jason Elam to beat us. Then I could say it wasn't meant to be. Right now, I am feeling bad that we lost this on Turnovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back