PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did you become a PATS fan??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesoslo

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was in my early teens watching the NFL network do a show on the big tuna drafting drew bledsoe.

It is very good to be a pats fan right now.

my father is a big pats fan, always has been, so he suffered, I really got into it when I was 12, watching curtis martian, bledsoe and the boys. I loved those teams, just as much as I love these teams now

I was in my early teens watching the NFL network do a show on the big tuna drafting drew bledsoe.

It is very good to be a pats fan right now.
At my father's knee, of course. I can't remember not being a Patriots fan, but my earliest actual memory is the drafting of Jim Plunkett. My father's company (or union, I'm not sure) took in a lot of sporting events, so we spent at least one Sunday a year in Schaefer Stadium.

Even though they did not win much, it was good to be a fan back then too.

Last edited:
I met Steve Grogan during some sort of fan interaction event at a skating rink a couple miles from my house, in maybe '74? All I remember for sure is looking way, way up at him. There was only 100 or so people there that day. I can't imagine the traffic snarl if the current QB did the same thing today.

I blame my High School Football coach who also taught geometry for
my obsession.
He told many intriguing war stories during that class and Patriots review
became something to look forward to ( no geometery :))

My wife.

I am born and raised in Europe. The Netherlands to be exact. When I was in the military, I was deployed on a international (NATO) base, working with allot of nationalities, including Americans. Football still seemed like an odd sport to me. Why was is FOOT ball is they didn't really use their feet? Why do they keep stopping? Why does an hours play take 3-4 hours. I just did not get it, nor was I interested.

Then I met my wife. She is from Massachusetts . And a big fan of the NE patriots. She got me to watch a few games ( still with Bledsoe) but I did not get it, but she was really into it all. I laughed at her rolling on the floor yelling at ref's and never sat out a game ( to loooong).. But the more I watched it the more I started to figure out what was going on. I ended up buying a madden football videogame to learn more ( hey what was I going to do ).

Anyways to cut the story short. I started watching more games in 2001 and then Bledsoe got hurt and Brady took over, we wondered if this was the end of the season for the pat's and followed the rest of the games we were able to see, closely. But then things turned out great and they won this little thing called the Superbowl. My wife and me watched that game in Europe, deep in the night life on American forces network. It was like 4.00 in the morning and my wife was highly pregnant, we actually had an appointment with the doctor for delivery of my daughter that same morning. It was an awesome event, that got me more into the game.

BUT I have only gotten REALLY into the game these past2/3 years. And I still need to learn allot about the game, but I know what I am watching and now get laughed at by my wife for being more fanatic then her. LOL

She tried to make me pick another team to cheer for, but that just didn't work. My connection to football is through her, MA and the NE patriots. I love(d) their attitude and back when I started the way they played with their underdog status.. I felt part of the event of them winning their first SB, and was highly annoyed they never seemed to get true acknowledgement of their work, even after their first SB.

I believe I will stay a pats fan forever, no matter is they win anymore SB's or not.

anyways.. I could just have said.. see sig

EDIT: My favorite player = T.B.

Last edited:
Just for the record, I would like to make it known that I was not trying to make him pick another team to cheer for, I just didnt want him to feel as if he "had" to cheer for the Patriots because I was.... I wanted him to form his own opinion on football and the teams...

It just amazes me that he seems to have the same as me when it comes to Football. I tried to get him into Baseball recently as well. I figured watching the Red Sox in the World series might be a good start. He watched the games and I was able to explain a bit to him about it. He told me that he thought that Baseball was not for him.... of course, that is what he said about football :p

I was born in 1980, and really started to get into the NFL when I was about 11-12 years old. I had been into college football a little before, so I knew the game, but my first real NFL memory was the 49ers-Bengals SB in 1988. I remember watching a game in maybe 1991 where it was snowy. I think Green Bay was playing. I didn't like Green Bay, but I thought it was cool that they played in snow in the NFL. The college season was usually over when it snowed. The Detroit Lions played in a dome, so I instantly hated them (despite their 12-4 record.) I have family roots in Boston, and my folks had gotten my brother and I Pat Patriot sweatshirts and footballs. At that time, the Pats were almost NEVER on TV in metro-Detroit. I asked my dad if the Patriots played outside. He said they did. So I had my team. I remember getting pissed at first when they changed the logo, then excited because I got to get all new things. I remember my birthday in 1994 getting a Bledsoe jersey and Pats hat. I remember Christmas Eve 1994 when the Pats beat Chicago to complete that amazing season-ending run and make the playoffs. I remember watching that with my dad and wearing the Bledsoe jersey pretty much everyday until the Cleveland game. It wasn't easy being a Pats fan, most people in Michigan are Lions or Packers fans, and the Packers were rising up at that time. But I never wavered. It's funny, the Pats are the only non-Detroit sports team that I root for, but easily my #1 team in all of sports. Very weird.

I was born in 1979 and was really getting into the NFL when I was 11-12. I liked football, but I didn't have a "team" per say. Then the Pats drafted Drew Bledsoe and I decided it'd be cool to follow a player with a rocket arm like that.

Needless to say, I fell in love with them.

Go Pats!

I loved watching Grogan, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, Russ Francis, Steve Nelson, Julius Adams.

I really became a Pats fan during the 76-77 season (I was 12). I just loved the way they were a solid, punch you in the mouth, football team. That AFCC game against the Raiders still burns me!!!

I loved watching Grogan, Sam "Bam" Cunningham, Russ Francis, Steve Nelson, Julius Adams.

I really became a Pats fan during the 76-77 season (I was 12). I just loved the way they were a solid, punch you in the mouth, football team. That AFCC game against the Raiders still burns me!!!

+1, same with me. Loved that team. I was 9 at the time.

I actually started watching football a couple years earlier than that. My cousins were all into the Steelers, my brothers loved the Redskins (we lived in Virginia up until 1975) and my Dad the Cowboys. When we moved to New England, I picked my team and haven't wavered since. Lived through Fairbanks, and in 1982 I went to school everyday and told my friends the Patriots were really good, they just had bad luck. They were the best 2-14 team in history!!

I remember when Steve Grogan was the new guy. My family watched all the local teams. Pats, Bruins, Celitics, Red Sox. I got hooked on the Pats and the Bruins, I lost interest in the Bruins after Orr left and it was the Pats from then on. I remember Kraft buying the team and hiring Parcells. What a fraking ride !!!

I remember when Steve Grogan was the new guy. My family watched all the local teams. Pats, Bruins, Celitics, Red Sox. I got hooked on the Pats and the Bruins, I lost interest in the Bruins after Orr left and it was the Pats from then on. I remember Kraft buying the team and hiring Parcells. What a fraking ride !!!

Are Kraft and Kiam related? You have to admit, same stature, same hair, same slick salesman.

I was born a Pats fan.....but I was also born in Virginia so the only team I could watch was the Redskins before the blessing of NFL Sunday Ticket ;)

First NFL game I saw on UK TV in about '82 was the Patriots and..err...somebody else. From that day till this and beyond I have always been and will always be a Pat :rocker:

When I was a kid I got picked on alot, most of the bullies were Redskins fans, and my only major respite was summer vacations in NH. It was only natural that I'd find myself wishing there was a New England team that could come down and "avenge" me. But, being mostly ignorant of the NFL, I didn't know that such a team actually existed.

I accidentally (or was it fate?) discovered the Pats while leafing through the TV Guide one December Monday in 1985, and I've been hooked since. As you might suspect, 52-7 was the long-awaited fulfillment of a seemingly-hopeless childhood dream, nearly as satisfying for me as the Lombardis. Thank you and bless you Mr. Belichick & Co.!!! :rocker: :singing: :rocker:

The 1978 season. I was 10 years old.

The Pats were playing Miami. I think Don Strock was the QB for the fins.

First game I actually sat and watched.

Addiction ensued.

My Dad. But not because he was a Pats fan.

It was '71 and we were living in San Mateo at the time. My Dad was a 49er's fan back then and he took my brother and I to the Pats/Niners game at Candlestick. Got autograph's of Gene and Vic Washington earlier on that day .... as part of a promotion that my Dad's company was doing. Even wore Niners cap and was a fan. But only until that game. For some reason I ended up liking the Pats after that game (maybe because they lost that day and I tend to cheer for the underdogs?) but for whatever the reason I have been a Pats fan since that game.

pretty boring, but i was born a c's, b's, pats, sox fan. when i was young i liked the chargers as well. since moving to sd and meeting charger fan and getting to know their team, they are one of my more hated teams.

I despised the NY Giants, which is what the other males in my family were big
fans of so when the AFL was formed and we got a franchise I instantly became
the biggest Boston Patriots and AFL fan out there and still am. I see the hate
that some posters have for the old AFL teams like the Chargers, Titans (Jets),
and Miami but I don't feel like that at all. I loved the AFL and all of it's teams
and still do. (AND, I still despise the NY Giants!). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe