PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Have Gaffney and Caldwell been the best playoff duo this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brownfan80- Just pointing out something about Caldwell. He was hurt basically all of last year and was #4 on their depth chart. The year before, he started well but got hurt.

Yeah I know he's had injury problems, but he's been in the league for five years now, and the first four were nothing at all to write home about. :)

The year before that, Drew Brees sucked! He is great now, but doesn't everyone remember how god awful he was before 2004? Hell, Doug Flutie played instead of him a lot between 2001 and 2003.
Not that Caldwell never had a chance in SD, but during the rare times that he was healthy, he didn't get much help from anyone around him.

True enough, but I still think it's telling of Tom that he's been able to gel in one season with recievers that other teams couldn't make work for four years.

Yeah I know he's had injury problems, but he's been in the league for five years now, and the first four were nothing at all to write home about. :)

True enough, but I still think it's telling of Tom that he's been able to gel in one season with recievers that other teams couldn't make work for four years.

No doubt about it, what they are doing is damn impressive!

I was just rewatching the game at Cincinatti and watched Caldwell get clocked on a long post route. I am still surprised that he didn't get hurt and more so considering his injury history.

No doubt about it, what they are doing is damn impressive!

It would make me a very happy fan if our duo outperformed their duo in the AFCC. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

:D

It would make me a very happy fan if our duo outperformed their duo in the AFCC. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here...

:D

It is a possibility that our guys end with better stats after this game. But then again, it's not too hard to have better stats than Marvin Harrison in the playoffs....the Peyton Manning of receivers.

Then why does everyone call them castoffs and make them out to be inferior receivers?
Gaffney's playoff performances so far have been unprecedented for a Pats receiver. And Caldwell has been a big factor too.

I think they deserve props, not ridicule for their work so far.
Just because the media thinks our receivers are worthless doesn't mean we should buy into the hype.
Are you thinking back to the 'sky is falling' posts around the beginning of the season or are you referring to some recent posts that I may have missed ?

It seemed like a few signs were there, as far as Caldwell was concerned, even at the beginning of the season:

[9-12-06] ... I am puzzled as to why Caldwell is so totally off of everyone's radar screen. Mind you, I'm not saying I know something that other folks don't. And I haven't had a chance to watch him live in the stadium.
... ...
And Belichick did see enough in Caldwell that he signed him for about 900K for this year. Gabriel for a 5th round pick doesn't seem like a much bigger expectation.

I do know from watching Caldwell's plays in the last couple preseason games and this first game with Buffalo, that he had solid production if not spectacular. He hasn't caught a lot of passes yet, but that might be a result of game planning.

As I say, I don't have any solid expectations one way or another, but I am quite curious. Did anyone get to the games and pay attention to what Caldwell was doing where you could comment on whether he was getting any separation on his routes ?
[10-31-06] A lot of folks may have missed some of the first down production that Reche Caldwell had, even at the beginning of the season. Box and Pats1 could probably comment on that better than I.

This is another nice Patriots story. A guy who comes in and provides some solid play. Who knows what his contribution will be as the season goes on, but it will be very interesting to see what develops. Might not be too trivial. One TD and open for another is a pretty valuable contribution. I wonder if success will breed some confidence that will increase his effectiveness - strikes me as a possible factor with him - would be nice to see.

What's amazing is not only how well he has performed but also how he has handled it. For most star QB's if you took away his two best receivers and replaced them with cast offs he would throw a fit. Brady hasn't done this, at least not in the media.
I disliked Caldwell bashing from day 1 but it was true that Reche couldnt do a heck of a lot early on in the season. And you're right Brady NEVER complained. I think he was definitely upset that Branch had left but he didnt say a word negative about his current recievers and he was always positive about Reche all the way from mini camp. Seems like the coaches didnt ever give up on him either because every week he was listed and played as a starter even though he was doing just decent(not like he wasnt trying because he was working hard to be Brady's #1 target which he I think is right now because I havent seen Watson a lot due to his injury). And man second half of the season Reche has done a really good job, Brady definitely being a big part in that. I thought Gaffney was one of those guys who would be likely to get cut after the end of the season but dayum he assured his spot on the roster next season in just two games. I got my Gaffney sig back when he was signed and a group of Pats fans at a football forum were made sigs of each reciever, I got in on it last and recieved my Gaffney sig which I thought would be gone very soon.

Last edited:
maybe we can get a couple of #1s for them if they split the Super Bowl MVP this year, eh?

maybe we can get a couple of #1s for them if they split the Super Bowl MVP this year, eh?
CO SB MVP, I like that. :D

Just like the Co-MVP crap with Manning/McNair.

Correct, I'm very impressed with them. I think they're playing well. But I think we all know that it's Tom that's gotten them to that level. IE I don't think they'd be playing this way for any other team in the playoffs, if they were in the same situation as this team has faced with another team around them.

In fact, I'm not sure that hypothetical 'other team' would even MAKE the playoffs.

I don't know about that. Brady does not walk on water. These guys weren't chicken feathers, either one of them. One was the first pick in the second round and the other was a mid second round pick. Both successfully made the jump to the NFL and became starters with their original clubs.

Jabbar averaged over forty two receptions a year for the expansion Texans catching from a rookie and then young and inexperienced QB, in David Carr. He had 171 receptions in 4 seasons with Houston before being signed by the Eagles in FA, and then cut because he wasn't a deep WR able to fill TO's shoes.

Reche was developing and seized the starting job in his third season only to teal an ACL and spend 18 months in recovery, which he just finished when he joined the Patriots.

Bolts, Texans and Eagles loss, Pats gain.:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

I don't know about that. Brady does not walk on water. These guys weren't chicken feathers, either one of them. One was the first pick in the second round and the other was a mid second round pick. Both successfully made the jump to the NFL and became starters with their original clubs.

Jabbar averaged over forty two receptions a year for the expansion Texans catching from a rookie and then young and inexperienced QB, in David Carr. He had 171 receptions in 4 seasons with Houston before being signed by the Eagles in FA, and then cut because he wasn't a deep WR able to fill TO's shoes.

Reche was developing and seized the starting job in his third season only to teal an ACL and spend 18 months in recovery, which he just finished when he joined the Patriots.

Bolts, Texans and Eagles loss, Pats gain.:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

That's a pretty good in depth look at why they struggled with their original teams, and I think it sheds some light as to why they caught on so quickly with the Patriots.

I guess it does help to be inserted into a pretty successful offensive system with high caliber players already in place at every other position.

EDIT: But Brady -does- walk on water. Ya heard? lol :p

Last edited:
I am very pleasantly suprised by these two "castoffs". Jabbar Gaffney has looked great in his two playoff games, and Caldwell has looked very good since mid season. Neither are burners, but Caldwell showed he can burn someone deep, and Gaffney has shown he can get open short. Hopefully they play 2 more great games this year, and Jackson wakes the f*ck up next year. Also there is the draft as well. Next year I expect Jackson and Mills to be more a part of the offense. Add an improved (hopefully) Watson (who is a stud) and Thomas, and this offense will be very very good.

I think its amazing how people CONTINUE to rag on Caldwell and Gaffney as if they are two untalented schmucks who didn't know how to play football prior to coming to the Patriots.

Get a grip, people. Both Caldwell and Gaffney were 2nd round picks. Just because they weren't as successful with the Chargers and Texans, respectively, as Branch was with the Pats, doesn't mean that they are bad players. Caldwell had injury issues, including a major fluke injury that no one could have guessed would happen. Gaffney was solid, but not spectacular, on a Texans team whose biggest issue was and continues to be that they have no O-line to really protect their QB. And they certainly didn't have the level of coaching that they are getting with the Patriots.

Caldwell and Gaffney were not cast-offs like Charles Johnson and Torrance Small back in 2001.

Considering it took them 3 quarters to get some production going, I think we might wanna holdoff on that one.....

Considering it took them 3 quarters to get some production going, I think we might wanna holdoff on that one.....

I agree. Weren't 4 catches by Gaffney in 2 minute prevent defense by the Chargers at the end of the second half?

Brady threw 51 frikkin' passes, 85 total in the playoffs. Obviously when you throw more you're going to have receivers catch more.

I guess Dillon and Maroney are duds. They have both underperformed in the playoffs.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showpost.php?p=226371&postcount=16

Gaffney, Caldwell and Branch were all judged by Gil Brandt pre draft. Who knows what would have happened had they landed on different teams.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/WR_ratings.html

4. Jabar Gaffney, Florida (6-1 1/8, 193, 4.49 on grass)
Did not work out at the combine other than the participating in the shuttle and cone drills. Ran two 40s (4.48 and 4.49) on grass at Pro Day. Had a 36½-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 10-inch long jump. High-school football player who caught the game winning pass in the 1997 State Championship Game as a wide receiver. Redshirted in 1999. Started eight games in 2000 and set NCAA Div. I-A freshman record for touchdowns as a wide receiver with 14. Also set NCAA record for yards gained by a freshman. Tremendous athlete with very good hands. Does a very good job adjusting to the ball. Has great body control, fluid and has outstanding ability to gain yards after the catch. Had some character problems and was kicked off the team after the 1999 season. Came back without a scholarship for the 2000 season. Does not have real big hands. Florida has had receivers picked in Round 1 who did not burn up the league — is he a product of the system? During the time I spent with him, three days at the Playboy All-America weekend, he was a model young man.

6. Reche Caldwell, Florida (5-11¾, 194, 4.39 on grass)
Worked out at the combine. Had a 41½-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot, 10-inch long jump. Performed 10 strength lifts and ran two 40s (4.48 and 4.50) on wet grass. Was a high school quarterback who passed for 77 touchdowns in his career. Redshirted in 1998. Started two games in 1999 and 12 in 2000. Started and had a big year in 2001 (63 catches and 10 touchdowns). Very good athletic ability with top speed. Very good body control. Florida's offensive system is very good and tends to make wide receivers look a lot better than they end up being in the NFL. This player has good hands and the quickness needed for the position.

15. Deion Branch, Louisville (5-9 1/8, 191, 4.47 on turf)
Had a complete combine workout. Had a 36-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 9-inch long jump. Also ran the 40-yard dash twice for times of 4.45 and 4.49 seconds. Played at a junior college for two years. Returned kicks while playing receiver. Was redshirted in 1999 for academic reasons. Has soft, reliable hands that enable him to make the clutch catch. Not as tall as teams like even though he caught more than 140 passes for 19 touchdowns over the past two seasons.

Last edited:
I think Gaffney and Caldwell have performed admirably and you guys should stop disrespecting them. I know they don't have pro bowl credentials but they have really stepped up. Of course Brady is a big factor in how well they are playing but they've still got to make the catches.

I think this offense will be even better next year when Brady develops even better timing with his wideouts in a full minicamp and Jackson becomes more involved in the offense. Although I'd still like to see one more WR added to the mix. We don't know when Troy is going to hang em up.

While this is definitely true, I wonder why people don't also see the opposite which is also true.

Peyton, Harrison, and Wayne have many years together and have peaked. They will never be any better than they are now, and in fact, with age and injuries will soon begin a decline into a lesser unit, if it hasn't happened already.

Pats passing game should keep getting better and better and hasn't come close to peaking.

Granted, the potential of the Pats passing game may not be as high as the Colts, but the gap is rapidly closing with Brady's familiarity with his receivers.

I think its amazing how people CONTINUE to rag on Caldwell and Gaffney as if they are two untalented schmucks who didn't know how to play football prior to coming to the Patriots.

Get a grip, people. Both Caldwell and Gaffney were 2nd round picks. Just because they weren't as successful with the Chargers and Texans, respectively, as Branch was with the Pats, doesn't mean that they are bad players. Caldwell had injury issues, including a major fluke injury that no one could have guessed would happen. Gaffney was solid, but not spectacular, on a Texans team whose biggest issue was and continues to be that they have no O-line to really protect their QB. And they certainly didn't have the level of coaching that they are getting with the Patriots.

Caldwell and Gaffney were not cast-offs like Charles Johnson and Torrance Small back in 2001.

I'm not sure what qualifies as a cast-off, but wasn't Gaffney out of football, and Reche was cut by the Chargers? We can see how great the Chargers receivers are now, so it says something about what they thought of Reche.

I would not say they are bums, but if we had Branch and Givens, how many snaps would these guys get?

Would you put either of them above any of these guys from the AFC East: Booker, Chambers, Coles, Cotchery, Evans, or Price?

I think there is some talent, and I think that in Gaffney's case, it's taken some time to develop chemistry. And I realize the Pats tend to not provide blockbuster numbers in any one player. But I see them getting it done with several #3 kind of guys, and this is basically a testament to Brady and BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes