PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Happy Independence Day to my PatsFans.com brethren and sistren...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically and more accurately, Independence Day for the USA is actually July 2nd. That was the day that the Continental Congress voted to remove the states from the British Empire. John Adams wrote to his wife and said:

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

Independence Day (United States) - Wikipedia

So celebrate the approval of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th..... but if you want to do it right, then celebrate our Independence on July 2nd just like I did :)

Technically and more accurately, Independence Day for the USA is actually July 2nd. That was the day that the Continental Congress voted to remove the states from the British Empire. John Adams wrote to his wife and said:

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more."

So celebrate the approval of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th..... but if you want to do it right, then celebrate our Independence on July 2nd just like I did :)
I'll go with Bill Pullman.

inspirational-queen-elizabeth-memes-13-4th-of-july-memes-to-put-you-in-the-patriotic-spirit-queen-elizabeth-memes.jpg

Happy 4th from a town near where the Pilgrims landed ! I think the British didn't find out about our Independance until 2 days later due to an internet outage. :D

Technically and more accurately, Independence Day for the USA is actually July 2nd.

That was the day that the Continental Congress voted to remove the states from the British Empire. John Adams wrote to his wife and said:

Technically, September 3rd, 1783 was Independence Day.
titus.gif

That's the day that Britain legally recognized the independence of our 13 sovereign States.

That's the day that our War of Independence became victoriously complete.
beer.gif

Mind you: July 4th is more powerful as a symbolic day, no argument.

But it ain't our "Independence Day".
nono2.gif

It's our "Rebellion Day."

That's the day that we collectively declared War against the most powerful nation in the galaxy. I say "collectively", meaning all 13 Colonies, because of course we Yankees initiated that War a year earlier, and led the rest to Rebellion! :D

But a War had then to be fought...and to be won. o_O

And it had to be won against the most powerful State ~ not the most powerful Army, as has been many times erroneously stated :rolleyes: ~ in the world.

Otherwise, our so-called "Independence Day" would have as much meaning, now, as that of, for instance, Texas, which twice declared Independence ~ once against Mexico and once against us ~ but was never ~ this is not a typo ~ never a legally recognized independent and sovereign state or nation. :eek: Lone star, my @$$. :D

titus.gif

That's the day that Britain legally recognized the independence of our 13 sovereign States.

beer.gif

nono2.gif

That's the day that we collectively declared War against the most powerful nation in the galaxy. I say "collectively", meaning all 13 Colonies, because of course we Yankees initiated that War a year earlier, and led the rest to Rebellion! :D

And it had to be won against the most powerful State ~ not the most powerful Army, as has been many times erroneously stated :rolleyes: ~ in the world.

Otherwise, our so-called "Independence Day" would have as much meaning, now, as that of, for instance, Texas, which twice declared Independence ~ once against Mexico and once against us ~ but was never ~ this is not a typo ~ never a legally recognized independent and sovereign state or nation. :eek: Lone star, my @$$. :D

Oh yeah...

https://imgflip.com/gif-maker

I knew all that. :)

King George: "See, that traitorous pig Adams was completely wrong."

titus.gif

beer.gif

nono2.gif

The Founding fathers would disagree with you completely. The Colonies had been "rebelling" well before July 2 or 4th 1776. There had been many rebellions dating back a century earlier with Bacon's Rebellion.

The Founding Fathers knew that freedom didn't come from an agreement with a King. It was an "unalienable right". That's why our "Declaration" was a "Declaration of Independence". They believed that the right was theirs whether they won or lost the war with England. And even with the Peace Treaty, the English still saw the colonies as theirs and their future actions demonstrated it (American merchant marines being forced to serve in the Royal navy). So, the Treaty had little meaning to either side as both sides violated it.

Not a single founding father would agree that the Treaty of Paris would be their "Independence Day". But most would agree that July 2nd was that date.

Last edited:
King George: "See, that traitorous pig Adams was completely wrong."

Actually, King George and John Adams had a good relationship.

"At the time of his appointment to London in 1785, John Adams had been in Europe for about three years. During that period, he had served as ambassador to the Netherlands (a post he would continue to hold while in England) and served on the committee that negotiated the Treaty of Paris, which ended the war with Britain.

He presented his credentials to King George III on June 1, 1785. In his speech to the king, Adams stated that he hoped that he could help restore the “good old nature and good old humor between people who... have the same language, a similar religion, and kindred blood.”

John Adams later reported that George III seemed very affected by the meeting. In his response, the king stated that he was the last person to agree to the breakup between Great Britain and the American colonies. On the other hand, since it was now fact he “would be the first to meet the friendship of the United States as an independent power.”

A Founding Father in London. John Adams’ troubles

I think this scene was extremely well acted and probably pretty accurate.

Where did I say " Where the Pilgrims First Landed" ???? Smahtass :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents