PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent DB Jonathan Jones Won't Be Tagged

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score

Lede basically says it all...

I don't think JJ is worth the tag value, which is $18.14 million for this year... He's good, but not 18 millions dollars good...

Still he is a guy I would like to keep around... Sure they will handle this like they with Meyers... let him hit FA, get and idea of his worth on the open market, then make an offer/counter offer...

I like Jones, but Bradberry and Dean seem to be the consensus best available CBs. Jones can test the market.

He may have some market as a slot, but he shouldn't as an outside guy.

I'm in the minority and would allow him to walk.

The franchise/transition tag values at CB are $18M/$16M. If someone is willing to pay Jonathan Jones that we should all be glad they're not running the show in New England.

No surprise here

I don't think JJ is worth the tag value, which is $18.14 million for this year... He's good, but not 18 millions dollars good...

Still he is a guy I would like to keep around... Sure they will handle this like they with Meyers... let him hit FA, get and idea of his worth on the open market, then make an offer/counter offer...

The franchise/transition tag values at CB are $18M/$16M. If someone is willing to pay Jonathan Jones that we should all be glad they're not running the show in New England.

I never considered JJ being tagged before this thread.

I don't know remember where I heard it but someone said he recently bought a new house not far from the stadium which it would be reasonable to assume he plans on being back. Obviously take that with a grain of salt as I don't know remember where I even heard it let alone whether it is true or not. Just throwing it out there in case anyone else heard it as well and remembers where that came from.

I don't know remember where I heard it but someone said he recently bought a new house not far from the stadium which it would be reasonable to assume he plans on being back. Obviously take that with a grain of salt as I don't know remember where I even heard it let alone whether it is true or not. Just throwing it out there in case anyone else heard it as well and remembers where that came from.

He seems like the rare player like Devin, Slater, who BB holds on to.

Exactly, not that they would. But if the team did tag him then may as well trade for Ramsey if you're willing to pay that to a CB. Just saying... regardless we need to get better the AFC east will be better but at this point I've gone over scenarios of who could be signed.. I have no idea! to me this is one of the more uncertain off season I can remember.

Exactly, not that they would. But if the team did tag him then may as well trade for Ramsey if you're willing to pay that to a CB. Just saying... regardless we need to get better the AFC east will be better but at this point I've gone over scenarios of who could be signed.. I have no idea! to me this is one of the more uncertain off season I can remember.
Exactly... Better off paying for high level talent vs a guy like JJ if you are paying that much

He seems like the rare player like Devin, Slater, who BB holds on to.
I believe I heard Phil perry mention it last season. I love his story undrafted, worked his way into a good NFL player. I think we'll retain him but as @Pape said let him test his market and hopefully we can retain him.

Exactly... Better off paying for high level talent vs a guy like JJ if you are paying that much
I do hope we keep him he is one the leaders on defense.. guy does everything the right way.. you want to retain those types of players.. I'd like him and hopefully we can add at least 2 Veteran CBs, 2 LBs a O linemen and Wait for it...... a WR.. lol

IMO Jo. Jones is a much better slot CB then outside. I think Ma. Jones is ready to be the starting slot CB however. I also think Ja. Jones is going to start at CB1 and play well there for several years. The Patriots need depth at CB1 and 2 and I don't think they are going to sign Jo. Jones to a lot of $ to backup those positions. If it came down to him and Meyers for a new contract...I'd go with Meyers. Meyers is also 3 years younger.

IMO Jo. Jones is a much better slot CB then outside. I think Ma. Jones is ready to be the starting slot CB however. I also think Ja. Jones is going to start at CB1 and play well there for several years. The Patriots need depth at CB1 and 2 and I don't think they are going to sign Jo. Jones to a lot of $ to backup those positions. If it came down to him and Meyers for a new contract...I'd go with Meyers. Meyers is also 3 years younger.
But, would you pay $6m or $7m so that Myles Bryant never sees the field again?

It's mighty tempting to have 4 good CBs out there, plus a rookie perhaps.

But, would you pay $6m or $7m so that Myles Bryant never sees the field again?

It's mighty tempting to have 4 good CBs out there, plus a rookie perhaps.
I agree. Jo Jones, Ma Jones, Ja Jones, Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Porter, and a 4th or 6th rounder. Still have Mills and maybe DMac or a FA safety. Hopefully Myles Bryant doesn't make the 53.

Hopefully Myles Bryant doesn't make the 53.

Bryant played a lot of snaps on special teams and defense. Plus he can back up multiple positions

If he's back at the right price, I don't see them cutting bait.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back