The Uncle Heatster Mid-February Three-Round Mock Draft, March 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Also can be found on the impressive http://www.199overall.com/

1st Round

1. Miami - Chris Long DL/OLB Virginia -- Parcells has said that he doesn't know what kind of defense he's going to use this year, which means he's going to see what kind of personnel he can put together and then see what their suited for. Long here is the smart pick. He's a tough kid that's been around football all his life, loves the game, and knows how to act professionally. More importantly, he's versatile enough to be an immediate contributor in either the 4-3 or the 3-4 and pending on Jason Taylor's future, he might be the Dolphins best player the second he steps on the field.

2. St. Louis - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU -- Some mocks have him falling due to injury concerns, but I don't see it. He came back from leg injury to play productively last season. He's a great player and will allow Haslett to move Carriker out to DE, vastly improving two DL spots. The other option is Jake Long, but there's a better chance of getting a quality OT later in the draft than a game-changing DL.

3. Atlanta - Matt Ryan QB Boston College -- Tom Dimitroff would probably prefer Jake Long or Sedric Ellis, but Arthur Blank is no dummy, and will likely nudge Dimitroff in Ryan's direction. The Falcons have
had their worst year since their inception from a PR perspective (Vick, Open mutiny in the locker room, Petrino) and played several home non-sell outs, which is ridiculous for the NFL circa 2007. Darren McFadden looked to be this guy, until it came to light that he was chasing Travis Henry's fertility records. That's not what Atlanta needs right now.....especially with the high-class gentlemens' clubs in the area.

4. Oakland - Sedric Ellis DT USC -- With as great as Son of Huggy Bear ran last year, and with Michael Bush in the fold, and possibly Dominic Rhodes or some similarly-talented free agent on board, does it make sense for the Raiders to draft McFadden? Has anything Al Davis done lately made sense? The smart pick is Ellis, who can take over for Warren Sapp. Plus, taking a defensive player is probably the
right move for pissing off Lane Kiffin....if he's still the Head Coach by draft-time.

5. Kansas City - Jake Long OT Michigan -- I don't think Brody Croyle is going to make Chiefs fans forget Len Dawson....or even the aging Joe Montana. However, I think he'll end up being good enough to win with...if they can get their protection straight. The days of the Chiefs being synonymous with great line play is long gone, and in fact, their line is a few clicks south of terrible. Long's the guy.

6. New York Jets - Ryan Clady OT Boise St -- The Jets have done an admirable job filling holes in free agency, and there's really no need here. I highly doubt the FO will draft a RB this high, but they could trade the pick to one that would. Clady would give the Jets a young offensive line, that could potentially be the league's best for a long time.

7. New England (from San Francisco) - Vernon Gholston LB Ohio St -- The Patriots are in position to take the best available defender here. The biggest hole is the one left by Samuel, but this looks too early to draft a corner. Gholston can help the coverage by putting some heat on the quarterback.

8. Baltimore - Leodis McKelvin CB Troy -- Neither Chris McAllister nor Samari Rolle look to have much tread left. McKelvin looks to be the athletic cover guy that can play the nickel immediately, and probably take over on the outside by November.

9. Cincinnati - Keith Rivers LB USC -- The McFadden watch continues. Lewis says that he's through with players of questionable character, and McFadden appears to have fallen into that camp. Why somebody with millions of dollars at stake chooses to participate in brawls is beyond me.

10. New Orleans - Mike Jenkins CB South Florida -- McFadden could conceivably go here, either to the Saints or another team. But the Saints have some money tied up in Reggie Bush, and I think Pierre Thomas is a legit running back. McAllister is still around somewhere also. New Orleans signed Randall Gay to play corner, but he's not really starting material.

11. Buffalo - Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma -- If a team really wants McFadden at this point, this is the spot to grab him. He might not get past Denver, and Buffalo can pick up Kelly or another talented WR later in the round. Kelly will give Trent Edwards a large target to throw to, and should make some big plays if defenses focus too much on Evans.

12. Denver - Kenny Phillips S Denver -- McFadden seems to be a Shanahan-type back, so it could happen. If it does, he teams up with Travis Henry to move Denver into the top spot on the Cities My Daughter Can't Go list. But Denver's bigger issue is defense, especially up the middle, where they can be run on. John Lynch decided to give it another go, but I don't think he can be relied on to stay healthy and above-average at this stage of his career.

13. Carolina - Quentin Groves DE Auburn -- It's starting to look like Julius Peppers could follow Kris Jenkins out the door in Charlotte. Even if he stays another year, lack of pass rush killed the Panthers last year. After Groves proved at the combine that his toe problems were behind him, he vaults up into the top half of the round.

14. Chicago - Devin Thomas WR Michigan St -- McFadden could be a great fit here, although I'm not convinced he's the best cold weather back available. More importantly, the Bears have much more pressing needs, and this draft is deep in running backs. The Bears lost their top two receiving threats last week, which means their top returning WR is....Devin Hester? Rashied Davis? Mark Bradley? Whomever the QB is going to be doesn't really have much chance for success until the Bears upgrade. Thomas is a WR that can do whatever you need him to.

15. Detroit - Darren McFadden RB Arkansas -- The Lions have to be concerned with Kevin Jones ending the season injured for the second consecutive year. Tatum Bell wasn't really the answer. At the very least, McFadden can provide Detroit with a change of pace back, and allow them to bring back Jones slowly. If Matt Millen weren't in charge here, the pick might be a CB, which would be smart.

16. Arizona - Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon -- Mendenhall seems to have more of Edge's game, but Stewart could be Whisenhunt's new Jerome Bettis, only with a much higher top gear and a legit threat in the screen game.

17. Minnesota - PROJECTED TRADE - The Vikings trade the 17th and 82nd picks to Seattle for #25, #55, and their fourth-rounder. The Seahawks select Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois. Minnesota will trade down and hope that Harvey falls to them. Seattle could stay put, but they have to figure Houston will take the last of the Big 3 RBs, which would leave the Seahawks to reach for a Tight end or lineman here and pick up a guy like Forte later.

18. Houston - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee St -- With Dunta Robinson's status in the air, some reinforcing is needed in the secondary.

19. Philadelphia - Reggie Smith DB Oklahoma -- Asante is in, Lito looks to be out, and there's a hole at either free safety or nickel, depending on who you talk to. Smith can play both those positions, and can be moved to CB full time if needed.

20. Tampa Bay - Andre Caldwell WR Florida -- When Joey Galloway (37) and Ike Hilliard (32) are your two best receivers, that's a clear cry for help.

21. Washington - Limas Sweed WR Texas -- When Santana Moss and Antwaan Randle-El are your two best receivers, that's a clear indication that you're better off than Tampa Bay...but not by much. The
Skins definitely could use a big, dependable target to compliment the smaller quick guys.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland) - Felix Jones RB Arkansas -- We all knew that Jerry Jones was infatuated with an Arkansas running back, and Jones and Barber make an ideal tandem.

23. Pittsburgh - Brandon Albert G Virginia -- OL and DL depth seem to be the trouble spots. Albert should be a big upgrade over Faneca, and could probably upgrade their tackle postitions too.

24. Tennessee - Derrick Harvey DE Florida -- Having two of your three Defensive Ends leave as free agents officially qualifies you as having a need. Harvey will immediately pay dividends lined opposite of VandenBosch.

25. Minnesota (from Seattle) - Early Doucett WR LSU -- So, the Vikes weren't able to nab Harvey, but they pick up a polished receiver to breathe life into what passes for a passing game.

26. Jacksonville - Calais Campbell DE Miami -- The Jerry Porter signing allows the Jacksonville defense to get better and nastier up front.

27. San Diego - Carl Nicks OT Nebraska -- Neither Olivea nor Clady are terrible at RT, but neither has the talent nor the nastiness that Nicks can provide in the run game. The Dainian is going to love this guy.

28. Dallas - Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt -- The Cowboys pick up a stellar pass blocker to slide into the LT spot in 2009.

29. San Francisco (from Indianapolis) - Gosder Cherilus OT Boston College -- Looking for a reason why Frank Gore and Alex Smith regressed in '07? Look no further than the right side of San Francisco's line. Cherilus and Staley give the Niners two ideal tackles to anchor the OL.

30. Green Bay - Aqib Talib CB Kansas -- Talib disappointed at the Combine, but he blanketed the likes of Sweed, Kelly, and Bowman at Kansas, and the slow field at Lambeau will help him.

31. New York Giants - Dan Connor LB Penn St -- Well, we know they don't need another pass-rushing lineman. They do need some linebacking help however.

Last edited:
2nd Round

32 Miami - Chad Henne QB Michigan

33 St. Louis - Anthony Collins OT Kansas

34 Oakland - DeSean Jackson WR California

35 Kansas City - Mario Manningham WR Michigan

36 New York Jets - Red Bryant NT Texas A&M

37 Atlanta - Kentwan Balmer DT North Carolina

38 Baltimore - Joe Flacco QB Delaware

39 San Francisco - Philip Merling OLB Clemson

40 New Orleans - Pat Sims DT Auburn

41 Buffalo - Martin Rucker TE Missouri

42 Denver - Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas

43 Carolina - Jeff Otah OT Pittsburgh

44 Chicago - Brian Brohm QB Louisville

45 Detroit - Sam Baker OT USC

46 Cincinnati - Fred Davis TE USC

47 Minnesota - Bruce Davis DE UCLA

48 Atlanta (from Houston) - Curtis Lofton LB Oklahoma

49 Philadelphia - Earl Bennett WR Vanderbilt

50 Arizona - Antoine Cason CB Arizona

51 Washington - Tracy Porter CB Indiana

52 Tampa Bay - Dustin Keller TE Purdue

53 Pittsburgh - Tony Hills OT Texas

54 Tennessee - Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee

55 Minnesota (from Seattle) - Heath Benedict OT Newberry

56 Green Bay (from Cleveland) - Oneil Cousins OT UTEP

57 Miami (from San Diego) - Beau Bell LB UNLV

58 Jacksonville - James Hardy WR Indiana

59 Indianapolis - Jason Jones DE Eastern Michigan

60 Green Bay - Dre Moore DT Maryland

61 Dallas - Trevor Laws DE Notre Dame

62 New England - Patrick Lee CB Auburn

63 New York Giants - DaJuan Morgan S North Carolina St

Third Round

64 Miami - John Greco OT Toledo

65 St. Louis - Erin Henderson LB Maryland

66 Kansas City - Branden Flowers CB Virginia Tech

67 Carolina (from New York Jets) - Chris Johnson RB East Carolina

68 Atlanta - Roy Schuening G Oregon St

69 New England (from Oakland) - Quentin Demps S UTEP

70 San Francisco - Adarius Bowman WR Oklahoma St

71 Jacksonville (from Buffalo via Baltimore) - Phillip Wheeler LB Georgia Tech (Buffalo gave up either this pick or the next one in the Stroud trade. Since I haven't seen it reported yet, I'm assuming the higher one.)

72 Buffalo - Charles Godfrey CB Iowa

73 Minnesota (from Denver) - John Carlson TE Notre Dame

74 Carolina - Letroy Guion DT Florida St

75 Chicago - Ray Rice RB Rutgers

76 Detroit - Tavares Gooden LB Miami

77 Cincinnati - Donnie Avery WR Houston

78 New Orleans - Jordon Dizon LB Colorado

79 Houston - Jamal Charles RB Texas

80 Philadelphia - Andre Fluellen DT Florida St

81 Arizona - Simeon Castille DB Alabama

82 Seattle (from Minnesota ) - Jeremichael Finley TE Texas

83 Tampa Bay - Josh Johnson QB San Diego

84 Washington - Lawrence Jackson DE USC

85 Tennessee - Eddie Royal WR Virginia Tech

86 Seattle - Harry Douglas WR Louisville

87 Detroit (from Cleveland) - Chris Ellis DE Virginia Tech

88 Pittsburgh - Mike Pollack C Arizona St

89 Jacksonville - Frank Okam DT Texas

90 Chicago (from San Diego) - Robert Felton G Arkansas

91 Green Bay - Andre Woodson QB Kentucky

92 Dallas - Wallace Gilberry DE Alabama

93 Indianapolis - John Sullivan C Notre Dame

94 New England - Cliff Avril DE Purdue

95 New York Giants - Justin King CB Penn St

Wow, great mock. I'm kind of surprised at the Jets taking Clady after they just signed Woody who could play RG or RT. It makes more sense for them to take McFadden since Thomas did not impress last year and the fans are going to be calling for it.

If Antoine Cason slips to that range in the draft (I don't think he will), then I'd really like to see NE trade up for him. He's the best CB in this draft for their system.

A lot of people think Woody can play ROT because of last season with Detriot, but I really think he adds much more value inside. An OL of Ferguson-Faneca-Mangold-Woody and Clady could be special for the Jets. It has a mix of veterans and youth and is solid in pass protection.

I am one of those that thinks Dorsey could slide a bit due to his injury. I think teams are going to demand X-rays his legr ight up until the day of the draft.

Very interesting 1st rd.

-I don't see the Jets picking Clady because of the money they have invested in the O-line already with Brick and Faneca, especially with the lack of a dynamic threat on O after '08, considering Coles' likely departure. They made a commitment to Brick at LT and drafting Clady would be a public admission of error. This GM/coach team is very snippy about admitting mistakes. I see a trade down with Dallas for McFadden, or taking Gholston or McFadden themselves. B. Thomas was a disaster and his contract is not so cumbersome in the current climate they couldn't squeeze Gholston in with cap space to spare. They watched the Giants wreck the Pats' O-line with multiple pass rushers. If Jets go Gholston, I could see the Pats trading down with Dallas.

-Phillips at 12 seems really high considering his pedestrian workouts and sub-par season.

-It seems like Merling out of Clemson is a very hot commodity, and considering Calais Campbell's subpar workouts, Merling is likely to come off the board at DE before Campbell, to Jax or even earlier.

-Albert to pitt seems like a Steeler pick, but with such shoddy Tackle work and a homegrown stud guard like McGlynn from UPitt available in rds 2-3, I could see them going Tackle in rd 1 and guard later. Say Williams, despite his finesse style, after the beating Ben took last season.

Very interesting 1st rd.

-I don't see the Jets picking Clady because of the money they have invested in the O-line already with Brick and Faneca, especially with the lack of a dynamic threat on O after '08, considering Coles' likely departure. They made a commitment to Brick at LT and drafting Clady would be a public admission of error. This GM/coach team is very snippy about admitting mistakes. I see a trade down with Dallas for McFadden, or taking Gholston or McFadden themselves. B. Thomas was a disaster and his contract is not so cumbersome in the current climate they couldn't squeeze Gholston in with cap space to spare. They watched the Giants wreck the Pats' O-line with multiple pass rushers. If Jets go Gholston, I could see the Pats trading down with Dallas.

-Phillips at 12 seems really high considering his pedestrian workouts and sub-par season.

Well, you nailed the two picks I really didn't feel comfortable with, although I think Clady would go to RT. And as much as I don't care for Phillips, there's really not a lot of good safety prospects behind him.

As much as Merriweather could not have possibly started for us last year, even if he got work at safety all through preseason, I think Phillips would be even further from starting as a rookie than Merriweather was as a rookie.

Phillips really freelanced too much last season and it will take some time in our system to regain that discipline. However as a true roving FS in another system, ie: like Baltimore's system, he could probably start from day one and do pretty good.

Last edited:
A lot of people think Woody can play ROT because of last season with Detriot, but I really think he adds much more value inside. An OL of Ferguson-Faneca-Mangold-Woody and Clady could be special for the Jets. It has a mix of veterans and youth and is solid in pass protection.

I am one of those that thinks Dorsey could slide a bit due to his injury. I think teams are going to demand X-rays his legr ight up until the day of the draft.

Would that make it like 40% of cap space on the O-line? Money well spent, but they still have offensive weapons like Pennington and Jones trying to get them to the super bowl.

Wow, great mock. I'm kind of surprised at the Jets taking Clady after they just signed Woody who could play RG or RT. It makes more sense for them to take McFadden since Thomas did not impress last year and the fans are going to be calling for it.

I agree. The Jets have invested a ton of money in their OL this year and drafted DBrick for huge money last year. There's no way I see them paying out another mega contract for an offensive lineman. McFadden is the pick there.

And I just don't see 3 runningbacks taken back to back either. That's real unlikely. And I'm not exactly sold on Gholston at #7 either. He sounds like a pretty talented but raw player. It's safer to trade down to the 10-15 range and see who's left to pick. You can still get a very good pass rusher like a groves/harvey or pick the best corner available (drc/mckelvin) at that range, while saving a lot of $$.

Last edited:
Well, you nailed the two picks I really didn't feel comfortable with, although I think Clady would go to RT. And as much as I don't care for Phillips, there's really not a lot of good safety prospects behind him.

Looks like NYJ just cut Anthony Clement their RT, probably signalling their intention to start Woody over there considering his salary.

Not bad, personally I would've gone

1. Gholston- DeMarcus Ware.
2. Chris Johnson- Lord knows we don't need Hobbs returning kicks anymore, he will be a nice change of pace back
3a. Charles Godfrey- We need corners. Godfrey needs coaching, but definently has all the physical tools.
3b. Justin King- A lot like Charles Godfrey, but you can't complain, it's the third round

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes