PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

First Female to Tryout for NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife, who's an arch-liberal but not a PC extremist, sure thinks it's misogynistic/offensive/whatever. E.g., we had a conversation along the lines:

"What do 30-ish men say nowadays when they're insulting each other?"
""'Douchebag' is one of the more common ones."
"Too bad; I'm not having any of my characters say THAT."

(Neither "troll" or "Jets fan" would have been appropriate in context. :) )

I hear ya. "Donkeyish" just doesn't have the same ring to it. "Uncomfortably insecure" maybe?

Here's some support for the "Right or wrong as it may be, women WON'T be able to equal men" crowd.

UFC 157 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Ronda Rousey vs. Liz Carmouche | Bleacher Report shows a bunch of photos of UFC fighters. The bantamweight men sure look a lot more muscled than the bantamweight women.

And here, I must confess, is some further evidence more closely related to kicking: Mens' high jump world records track roughly 20% higher than women's. What's more, the men can be presumed to be heavier. So in a sport that's pretty much a test of sudden leg power (plus of course technique), men demonstrate far more power than women.

Men's high jump world record progression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Women's high jump world record progression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I brought up court decisions. Of course, later courts can change earlier decisions. The decision I was referring to changed athletics in the US. It was the decision supporting Title IX and requiring its enforcement.

Title IX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hear you, and Title IX is an issue that deserves a lot of talk on political forums. My point in bringing up those cases (and in the post to start with) is that the notion that

The ship has already sailed.

as it was put, is a meaningless one, as it's opposite would be if circumstances were reversed. Throughout history, "the ship has already sailed" on a lot of issues that were later reversed. The fact that Casey Martin won his case doesn't guarantee that the next person in that same position would win it, despite stare decisis, for example. Thus, to be dismissive, in the manner that Fencer was being, is to ignore pretty much all of known human history.

CNN/SI - Boxing - Woman pounds man in first co-ed boxing match - Thursday October 14, 1999 08:05 PM

lg_sexes_ap.jpg

" Margaret McGregor won every round on every card of her four-round, history-making bout Saturday night against Loi Chow, a jockey who showed virtually no boxing skills.

McGregor, a 36-year-old hometown favorite from Bremerton, Wash., towered over Chow and threw combinations that racked up points, even if they didn't seem to do any damage.

All three judges scored the bout 40-36 in McGregor's favor.

Thanks to the efforts of Lauren Silberman and her hordes of backers, the stage is now set for Ms. McGregor to "realize her dream" and fight the reigning heavyweight champion of the world during halftime of the NFL game featuring Ms. Silberman as that media sensation turned NFL kicker....I'm sure the millions upon millions of women and their PC spouses will be sitting in rapt attention as Ms. McGregor takes on the champ....should be a fair fight...she's paid her dues...I think the champ might be in trouble...

t1larg_klitschko_chambers_g_display_image.jpg
box_u_phyir_576.jpg

Interesting line from the story.....

"I think it's breaking a lot of barriers. I feel like I'm taking part in this big event in history," said Rosemarie Moore, 18, Seattle, attending her first fight.

"Women are saying, `Hey, we're just as good as you.' We've come a long way."

No.... there can't possibly be any repercussions that could lead to problems like women overrating these things in a sport that can lead to death even among evenly matched opponents, or anything like that. I mean, Navratilova beat Bobby Riggs, too.

:bricks:

My point that zoomed over Deus' head, to spell it out a little further, is:

1. There's a general trend favoring the belief that women can successfully and in many cases equally well fill traditionally male roles.
  2. There's a closely related trend favoring the belief that women should be allowed to do so.
  3. #1 will be very hard to reverse, because of empirical evidence, and our modern communication media that make it hard to "unlearn" the evidence.
  4. #2 will be rather hard to reverse, in light of #1.
As for whether women will be able to catch up to men in any athletic roles -- well, the world records I'm looking up in track & field, swimming, etc. seem to show women's records lagging men's by 40-50 years. Depending on how you view it, that could be taken as a plausibility argument either way. (And it's consistent with my claim above that today's women could have been highly competitive placekickers 40-50 years ago. :) )

"today's women could have been highly competitive placekickers 40-50 years ago."

Huh?...and you can name "today's women" that could have done this?..and are you talking early 70's with the influx of soccer style kickers or the pre-70's Lou Groza straight on style?..for the first time in I don't know when I am at a loss for words....

the-shark-jump-the-shark-demotivational-poster.jpg

You guys really need to stick to X's and O's... For some reason many of you can't even conceive how it's possible within the realm of physics for a women to kick a field goal as well as a man. That is just absolutely false, it's somewhat unlikely, but not even remotely close to impossible. I don't know, maybe it will be 100 years before there is a woman that is good enough, but sooner or later there will be some physical freak with enough talent to at least make it to training camp.

For those saying that a woman would literally die out there, you have absolutely no evidence to support this claim. Furthermore, I'm sure that she would be completely aware if she could not take big hits, and would protect herself accordingly. Sure, it's extremely unlikely to find a women who could take the beating at the more physical positions, but kicker? She's not going to die from getting blocked occasionally.

And as for people who are just whining about how they don't want women in the sport, just grow the **** up already. If somehow having a woman out there kicking extra points ruins your enjoyment of the game, why do you even bother watching football? You clearly don't give a rat's ass about the actual game if the gender of a freaking kicker makes that big of a difference for you.

"today's women could have been highly competitive placekickers 40-50 years ago."

Huh?...and you can name "today's women" that could have done this?..and are you talking early 70's with the influx of soccer style kickers or the pre-70's Lou Groza straight on style?

Top 10 greatest female kickers in high school football history - MaxPreps News

Heidi Garrett's career longest FG is 6 yards shorter than Garo Yepremenian's. (9 shorter than Adam Vinateri's.) And based on where she plays, she probably hasn't had much in the way of wind aid.

The N.O.W. reportedly has designated a monitor for the video-game huckster's "tryout" to ensure everything is on the level. She's been studying NFL combine protocols in preparation.

Attachments

• carry-a-nation.jpg
    carry-a-nation.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 53
No, they're completely relevant, which is why men aren't usually allowed to play in women's leagues. I'm sorry that you've been so thoroughly inculcated with nonsensical PC thought that you can't see that.

Every point listed in this paragraph is wrong.

Earning the job is not the only issue.

And, as is often the case, your entire response is intellectually lazy and thus in its style contributes to the downfall of our civil society. In a very small way, of course, because no one pays attention to your tactics on a sports board. But it is still a contribution.

Meanwhile, on the left coast, Sarah Silverman offered this reaction to Lauren Silberman's unconventional marketing ploy:

Attachments

• sarah_silverman-crotch_02.jpg
    sarah_silverman-crotch_02.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 53
If she can do the job, who gives a damn? If she can't, she can't. End of.

And, as is often the case, your entire response is intellectually lazy and thus in its style contributes to the downfall of our civil society. In a very small way, of course, because no one pays attention to your tactics on a sports board. But it is still a contribution.

Our society wasn't built on your notions, so your post makes no sense, particularly since you pretty clearly haven't actually thought my posts through. To point it out, yet again, my personal position is that all leagues should get to determine their membership. That's about as historically American as it gets, slick, and it's considered a Constitutional right, albeit one that's been limited more and more over time.

BTW.... 2 kicks: Publicity stunt or epic failure. You decide.

Lasted for 2 kicks before injury

Female kicker's historic bid ends with injury

Major self promotion publicity stunt

Actually, it was injury first, 2 puny kicks second before she gave up.

But yeah, it was a publicity stunt this time, and that was pretty obvious. That fact, however, doesn't invalidate the discussion (on either side) about "So what if it she actually a real chance of being better than the men -- should she be allowed to compete in that case?"

Actually, it was injury first, 2 puny kicks second before she gave up.

But yeah, it was a publicity stunt this time, and that was pretty obvious.

Hooray! Sanity prevails! :singing::singing:

That fact, however, doesn't invalidate the discussion (on either side) about "So what if it she actually a real chance of being better than the men -- should she be allowed to compete in that case?"

You likely won't see this again, because they're already talking about minimum qualifications for participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes