PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Final Sox/Yanks series begins Tonight!!!

patsfanofNC12

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
They face off starting tonight in a 3 game series, and two of the three games are on ESPN while the other is on Fox. Any series predictions?

My prediction is Sox take 2 out of 3, and go on to clench the division while the Yanks win the wildcard (unfortunatly).

They face off starting tonight in a 3 game series, and two of the three games are on ESPN while the other is on Fox. Any series predictions?

My prediction is Sox take 2 out of 3, and go on to clench the division while the Yanks win the wildcard (unfortunatly).

we need to bury them...i will say we win 1 out of 3. It just is not our style to make it easy.

It just is not our style to make it easy.

That's more about the Stinkees than us. When I caught the report last night that they finally went and lost one to the Blue Jays all I could think was 'FINALLY!'

The Yankees and Sox aren't all that far apart. The Yankees have two solid starters in Wang and Pettitte, with Clemens health a ?. The Sox have Beckett and I guess Schilling, although I'm not sure how he'll fair in the playoffs. Clearly he is a money pitcher, but at 89 mph it might, stress might, be tougher for him. Dice K has the ability but has been bad lately. Of course then there is Wake. So rotation wise their is a solid #1 & 2 for each club, but questions thereafter. I'd call them pretty even there. If everything goes right, I'd say edge to the Sox. The pen is even for both, as they get shortened in the post season. Mo, Chamberlain and Vizciano are as good as Paps, Oki, and Gagne. Of course, that brings us to the line-ups. The Yankees is better from top to bottom, but the Sox ain't chopped liver. I bet if they meet in the playoffs it will be another excellent, heart renching, my doctor told me not to watch, series.

If this is your ALCS, it would be nauseating to watch as a baseball fan.

I hate both teams.

Sox blew that one last night, will come back tonite and tommorrow.

Sox blew that one last night, will come back tonite and tommorrow.

Face it! The Yankees own you. They ain't scared of the Red Sox and I don't even think they respect them. Yankees just know how to beat Boston. It's been that way since I was a kid. I quite frankly enjoy it.

Last edited:
Francona, that dimwit, panicked by bringing in Papelbon in the 8th with no outs and the Yankees smelled the blood and made the Sox pay. Tito is one awful game manager - I can't stand him.

Francona, that dimwit, panicked by bringing in Papelbon in the 8th with no outs and the Yankees smelled the blood and made the Sox pay. Tito is one awful game manager - I can't stand him.

Has Francona lost trust on Gagne? Wasn't Gagne acquired to pitch in spots like that? That was interesting. I know Gagne has been okay at best, but still. How it will affect Gagne going forward here? It's not a bad strategy, but I don't see how this helps Gagne from here.

With all the runs the Sox have been giving up i don't see them winning todays game or the next. I see the Yanks sweeping this series like the last one. If Tampa Bay had a bull pen the Sox would have been swept in that series too. The Sox pitching has to get with it. If they don't not only will they lose the East, but not make it past the first round of the playoffs. Most of us knew Dice K was a fluke, so its going to be up to Schilling and Beckett to step up. In the bullpen, Okie has to get back on track and the same for Papplebon.

Face it! The Yankees own you. They ain't scared of the Red Sox and I don't even think they respect them. Yankees just know how to beat Boston. It's been that way since I was a kid. I quite frankly enjoy it.

Yeah well I'm guessing you were out of the country in late 2004? :D

He's a good mananger. He did the right thing. Afterall, that 8th inning was the game. Heart of the order up, with a slim lead. Who else do you want there? DelCarmen? Hell no. You bring in Paps, and if he sits down the middle of the lineup, you either bring him out for the 9th, or more wisely, bring out Delcarmen for that inning, with the lead. Unfortunately, it just didn;t work out that way.

Yeah, I didn't understand people blaming Francona for the loss the other night. He brought in his two best relievers and they both got shelled. That falls on Oki and Paps, not on Tito. It's ok to blame your good players when they fail.

The things I'd blame Tito for were leaving Daisuke in too long (though we all saw that coming), removing Timlin and Lopez unnecessarily early, and being inconsistent when it came to urgency (so it's ok to aggravate Crisps hip but not to pinch-hit with Manny?).

After that horrible loss on Friday tonight felt good.

Anyone who argues Wang for Cy is a joke. An ace doesn't require home-field advantage to be good. If NY plays the "5 games in 7 days" series NY has to move Wang back to game 3 at home rather than games 1 and 5 away. He's a valuable asset to NY and is dominant at home, but the idea that he's better than Beckett, Lackey, Santana, Sabathia, Haren, Verlander, and the other Cy hopefuls is asinine.

I'm looking for Roger to get shelled tomorrow night, though it isn't the playoffs so we can't be sure of that. Maybe the Fenway staff can turn the calenders in the visiting dugout to October. I hope he leaves to an ovation of boos and breaks out the "I'm hurt" excuse after the game.

What, Patriots-Chargers is on at the same time? I guess I'll watch the Sox during commercials.

Yeah, I didn't understand people blaming Francona for the loss the other night. He brought in his two best relievers and they both got shelled. That falls on Oki and Paps, not on Tito. It's ok to blame your good players when they fail.

No kidding, heaven forbid he should use his best against their best late in the game.

I'm particularly pleased with yesterday's effort. Friday was the stuff extended losing streaks are made of. The team responded well.

With all the runs the Sox have been giving up i don't see them winning todays game or the next. I see the Yanks sweeping this series like the last one. If Tampa Bay had a bull pen the Sox would have been swept in that series too. The Sox pitching has to get with it. If they don't not only will they lose the East, but not make it past the first round of the playoffs. Most of us knew Dice K was a fluke, so its going to be up to Schilling and Beckett to step up. In the bullpen, Okie has to get back on track and the same for Papplebon.

Are you sure you're not a Yankees fan?
DiceK a fluke? He put us in position to win game 1. It's the relievers that lost the game not DiceK.
In game 2 Beckett was aces, so the series is tied at 1-1.
Now it all comes down to the showdown between Schill and Roger.
I'm sure you're predicting a Yankees win, but I'll take my chance with the wily Sox vet pitcher. Schilling will step it up, you'll see.

Last edited:
God it's so nice to see the Yankees take it to the Red Sox as usual.

That's always a great day.

They got lucky.

BTW - Who's STILL in first place. :rocker:

Come on i mean it's ok to be a homer but losing 5 out of the last 6 games to the yankees is not a good sign no matter which way you want to try and spin it! I hate the yankees as much as anyone else but i am not liking what im seeing out of this team so close to playoff time, standing's do not mean jack in october and november!

Come on i mean it's ok to be a homer but losing 5 out of the last 6 games to the yankees is not a good sign no matter which way you want to try and spin it! I hate the yankees as much as anyone else but i am not liking what im seeing out of this team so close to playoff time, standing's do not mean jack in october and november!

Especially since so many Wild Card teams have been World Series winners. Why? Cuz Wild Card teams tend to be playing the best baseball going in to the playoffs. As a Yankees fan, I'm happiest to see Clemens pitch well yesterday, in hitting 94mph on the gun. That gives the Yanks that needed 3rd starter behind Wang and Pettitte. Were I a Sox fan, I wouldn't be anywhere near the Tobin like some are, but I'd be concerned about two things, who pitches after Beckett (who is a stud), and about who gets me to Papelbon come playoff time. Both teams have an equal shot should they both be in the playoffs.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back