PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% done grading. Trying to put together a little something something starting with offense for obvious reasons.

PTP list is coming next week but I just posted some names in my wr thread in the DF.

Have a 5th on him. He'll probably be on my list. He was arrested for carrying a weapon (unlawful) and drunk/high and tore his acl a few years back.

Lots of potential in the right system, with the right coach. Tough, crafty little power slot with decent acceleration. You have to give him designed touches and be creative with him. Former rb. Fun prospect.
I'm not sure if you've addressed this or not but with Bill gone, how will the PTP list differ and will it grow, decrease or stay the same in size compared to past lists? Will the type of players you will list change as well?

I'm not sure if you've addressed this or not but with Bill gone, how will the PTP list differ and will it grow, decrease or stay the same in size compared to past lists? Will the type of players you will list change as well?
Yea I'll be honest, I've been looking at a few different things to adjust for that. My personal scale I use to grade all prospects was based on a lot of what I learned over the last 20 years. I've adjusted several times over, early on I didn't incorporate athletic testing much if at all. I've adjusted before and will for this. I mean there's no way it'll be harder in terms of preparing for curveballs, looking over the roster bc Bill loved using the draft to replace upcoming spots. I think this team needs talented players more than anything. Worry about the other stuff tomorrow bc it's a multi-year rebuild anyway. Unless we get Daniels or Penix at QB the other likely two will be sitting a year. As they should.

I have thought using strict GBP #'s for offense and sticking with our #'s on defense. I'll definitely look elsewhere if it makes sense. And I'm open to suggestions, if anyone has any suggestions or wants to pound the table lmk, pm me. I was also thinking of using a strict bpa from my grades. I have a small list of names and will have a good 50 by the end of the week.

Was hoping to be further ahead but free time is rare and it seems like when I have some. Some bs will happen like yesterday. F'n water heater went in the morning so spent all of yesterday cleaning up and trying to start the process on getting a new one here. I have hot water so it's not a disaster but **** happens.

I also like Cam Hart as that big, slightly less athletic, CB. I haven’t seen much about Watts. Have to check it out.

Well, he ran for six of those seasons really. And then he started missing games and stopped running.

Daniels will always be able to get out of trouble and extend plays, but he won’t be able to run like that for his career. The bigger issue for me at this point is how to gauge his production in the context of his age vs that of his opponents. I have gone back and forth between Daniels and Maye throughout this process, and the deciding factor for me seems to be coming down to the fact that his greatest production came last season. 23 isn’t old for a QB by any means, but it is when you are playing against guys who are 19-2. I watch a lot of soccer, and follow the National teams closely. The Under 21 team played in their World Cup in Argentina last summer, and they are a talented group of players. But I also watched their Under 23 team play France a couple of weeks ago, which is the team that will be representing the U. S. at the Olympics this summer, and includes some U-21 players. And while that’s not relevant to football, what was relevant was the difference in physical maturity between the 2 U.S. teams, not so much individually, but as a group. The U-21 looked like a boys team, and the U-23 team looked more like a men’s team. And to me that difference is relevant to the discussion of Daniel’s, Penix, and Nix, as they are 23,24,24, and most of the players they were playing against last year were 21 and under, and I do think that makes a significant difference. So while I love Daniels production in the best conference in football, the fact that he was essentially playing against kids has become much more of a factor for me in deciding which prospect to take at #3. And as much as I think it would be must see TV if Daniels was a Patriot, Maye could well be the better choice for the long run. Either one would be a big upgrade at QB for the Patriots, but in looking at who could end up the better pro for the long term their age vs that of those they played against is certainly relevant.

My very first post in this thread was about UCF WR Javon Baker. This guy is being undervalued (IMHO) & will be a problem in the league. Solid size 6’1” 205 lbs, above average speed, excellent hands/catch radius/hand-eye coordination/contact balance/body adjustment/route-running/stabs/separation.

I agree. Please consider including South Carolina’s Xavier Legette.

Would be an underrated/high value selection. One of the best pure football players in this class; also dynamic. He’s essentially K’Wuan Williams with elite physicality. You could essentially live in Nickel..

Last edited:
Well...Aaron Dobson had an identical sort of catch in his last year in college. Just saying.
Not to go off topic but Dobson had a good rookie season, he showed promise. The wheels just came off after his injury.

IF there's a Guy we can get on a Trade Down in the Second Javon Baker it is win win. I don't think he makes it to the Third.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST