PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've also noticed (especially with Jordan Love in last night's game against San Francisco, which a friend who's a Packers Fan also noticed), that he made a lot of throws off of his back foot (which many QB's, especially drafted the last few years seem to do), that were horrible passes. Even when Brady rolled-out, he made a point to set his feet before throwing the ball. Unless A QB had freakish arm strength, Throwing off of the back foot usually doesn't end well. Mahomes seems to do better at that, even so, it sometimes comes back to bite him. Brady mastered the mechanics in the arm, footwork, and body alignment of throwing the football which few other before and since have been as great at doing.
GB has a weird way of coaching their QBs in that regard. AR threw a lot of passes with both feet off the ground intentionally.

GB has a weird way of coaching their QBs in that regard. AR threw a lot of passes with both feet off the ground intentionally.
As my friend who's a Packers Fan remarked after the game; AR had the arm to throw off platform on a regular basis that JL doesn't yet posses.

My thinking. **** that, take the QB at 3. Russell Wilson sucks, Justin Fields sucks, taking other teams garbage sucks. Take the QB at 3. Nice to see you back DW, but I hate these ideas, and all the other elaborate draft machinations when the answer is simple, take the QB at 3. Next year's draft class sucks at QB, and this year there are 3 good prospects at the position. Take one of them and then address your other needs. And there is no rule that you have to wait 3-4 years before drafting another QB, go ahead and draft one with an early pick every draft until you find the great one, it’s the not position on the team where you have to be great to be a serious contender every year, and if you find one that’s better than a good one that you have you can always trade the good one for a really good pick or player.
Cousin Ivan,
Thank you. Let me reiterate my thought process here. It is a pretty sure thing that the Pats will opt for a veteran QB to be in the QB room. The Broncos are in CAP hell with Wilson's contract. If you look at his stats in 2023 he was pretty decent on a mediocre Team. I hope I am wrong but Caleb Williams might be the only QB who can start out of the gate in 2024. I have to disagree on the three prospects and hope I am thoroughly wrong, but taking a "developmental" QB at #3 has Mitch Trubiski's name all over those overhyped ......or add Mac Jones.You can get a quality developmental QB such as Pennix or Michael Pratt a little later (why Pratt? He made the players around him better.....Don't see that chatter on these other kids) Imagine if he was thet starter at Ohio Stae or Georgia?

We have so many more needs than just a rookie QB who might of not might work. I would rather do a blockbuster trade thought and still keep a first rounder for an OT at pick #12. Meanwhile you have LT Garrett Boles at 31 and contract year.....let' see what he's got. Still playing at a high level. He would automatically be our best OL player. O.K. WR Jerry Jeudy is an enigma and on a one year guarantee. He's only 24. He would have been our best WR in 2023. See what he does in 2024.
Regardless , the Broncos are moving on from Wilson because contract and Boles and Juedy become casualties that get's them off the Bronco's books.Remember, The medicare Broncos won twice as many games ae we did.

Would they opt for the #3 pick, Jones and perhaps JuJu ? I think they would.

Do you think the Pats will win 8-9 games next year with the over hyped remaining Draft QB'S? Would a situation like Love in GB work for one of these kids watching Russs for next next year or two work?

I am not a Wilson Fan Boy. But he is better than at least 12 NFL starting QB's. Would you be happy if we filled some holes, still got some young talent and at 8-9 wins can sniff the play=offs after this year's disaster? Russ also had 256 yards rushing and a 9.1 acerage. on a team that gave up too many sacks.

I might be wrong but those are my thoughts.
DW Toys

I don't think think J Wilson is going to Translate at WR in the NFL. He's barely separating from anybody in College you can see that on tape. That said I would select him on Day 3 as a RZ guy.

As good as he is, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around MHJ at #3 for us. That scenario presumes that Williams and Maye go #1 and #2. So now we're sitting at #3 with the option to take MHJ or Jayden Daniels. We need a QB, so that has to be first place you look. Do we think Daniels is a real high level franchise QB? If so, we have to take him for ourselves. If not, then you can move on to considering MHJ.

But even if we don't think Daniels is a franchise QB, someone else likely does and there's always someone who moves up for a QB. Or even if no one else likes Daniels, if MHJ is really a generational type prospect then someone is probably willing to jump AZ for him.

We obviously need a #1 receiving option to shift defensive coverages, but I also think we're overall devoid of talent. It's just hard for me to think taking MHJ is the best move over trading back. If we don't want one of the QBs at #3 (presumably Daniels being the one left), then I think we have to consider moving back. I don't think I can justify anything else honestly.

As good as he is, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around MHJ at #3 for us. That scenario presumes that Williams and Maye go #1 and #2. So now we're sitting at #3 with the option to take MHJ or Jayden Daniels. We need a QB, so that has to be first place you look. Do we think Daniels is a real high level franchise QB? If so, we have to take him for ourselves. If not, then you can move on to considering MHJ.

But even if we don't think Daniels is a franchise QB, someone else likely does and there's always someone who moves up for a QB. Or even if no one else likes Daniels, if MHJ is really a generational type prospect then someone is probably willing to jump AZ for him.

We obviously need a #1 receiving option to shift defensive coverages, but I also think we're overall devoid of talent. It's just hard for me to think taking MHJ is the best move over trading back. If we don't want one of the QBs at #3 (presumably Daniels being the one left), then I think we have to consider moving back. I don't think I can justify anything else honestly.
I can talk myself into Harrison, because I think he's that good, and when there is real talent on the board, you have to take him.

Now, if you don't think that, then yes, trading back is the only true option.

I can talk myself into Harrison, because I think he's that good, and when there is real talent on the board, you have to take him.

Now, if you don't think that, then yes, trading back is the only true option.

Oh I can talk myself into him being a special talent for sure. And I'm not talking about moving back for a later 1st and an extra 2nd round pick. We just routinely see teams give up multiple 1sts and 2nd rounders to move up at this point of the draft for QBs. Even if he's Randy Moss and Jerry Rice combined, it's just hard for me to think he's going to jumpstart a rebuild the same way that type of pick package could. Particularly because if we're taking MHJ that means we aren't taking a franchise QB and thus need one, which a pile of picks at our disposal puts you in better position for.

The only good thing about a horrible season, is we will get one of Maye, Daniels or Harrison. Maye is the one I want, but good possibility Washington grabs him. I’ll be happy with either Daniels or Harrison. Daniels gives us a great weapon at QB, and Harrison is truly a generational talent at WR.

I’m a hockey fanatic too, so the last few generational talents in the NHL were Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid & Bedard. Harrison is that level of a prospect at WR comparatively.

People are comparing him to Julio Jones or Larry Fitzgerald, you’re talking about 1st ballot Hall of Fame WRs. You can find a QB in round 2, maybe a Bo Nix or JJ McCarthy.

So we really are sitting pretty, stay at 3 and get a great player (Daniels or Harrison Jr).

Imagine this lineup:

OL: *Fashanu - Strange/Mafi - Andrews - Onwenu - Sow/McD/*draft
WR: Bourne - Pop - *Legette - *FA(Pittman) - Reagor - Boutte?
RB: Rham - *FA(Edwards-Helaire) - Harris/FA
TE: Henry - *draft - Brown

Even Mac could win with this :excited:
Add russell wilson to this mix.

The more you watch Bo Nix, the more you see a great mix of pocket & mobility. He's a playmaker.
#3 is too valuable to screw up by gambling on a WR or QB...

My perfect plan:
[sign/trade steady FA QB (Browning, Mills, Brissett, etc.)]
Trade down to mid 1st round - pick QB Nix
Use our 2nd rounder - pick WR Coleman or Legette
Use extra 2nd rounder from trade - pick best available LT

The more you watch Bo Nix, the more you see a great mix of pocket & mobility. He's a playmaker.

My perfect plan:
Surely we get more than just an extra 2nd to drop that far

My perfect plan:
coleman will go first rd imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes