PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MHJ, Nabers & Odunze who??….

Maye is a more talented Jordan Love. Also, they share similar situations regarding the difference in play/stats between their sophomore and junior years. They each lost a lot of talent after their sophomore years, which partly explains the statistical dip. They may have felt that they had to over compensate due to the lack of talent; which is understandable. I’m not defending some of the obvious flaws/decisions, but many are nitpicking Maye’s skill set/game a bit too much..may be prospect fatigue. In any other draft, he’s most certainly the #1 pick. This guy is insanely talented and just 21 years old. As previously stated, I’m cool with either Maye or Daniels (let’s be real, we’re drafting one of these guys…unless there’s some sort of ridiculous offer for a trade down, anything else is just bullsh#t). These dudes are super dynamic and we’re honestly fortunate to have the 3rd pick in this draft. Barring development, I’m excited to have the opportunity to have an Allen/Herbert/Love/Stroud type talent OR a Lamar/Cunningham/Watson/RG3/Wilson type of prospect. Either way, it’s intriguing. I’ve been on Maye since last year, so if I had to choose today…I’d take Maye. There’s just something special about this kid..

Last edited:
I’m with you on Maye and Daniels. It was good to see both had good prodays and that Daniels didn’t weigh a buck 60. Kind of eases the tension moving closer to draft day.

Both are gonna need some work and fine tuning, but what QB besides Burrow in recent memory didn’t have questions coming out?

Btw, I hated Herbert where he was drafted. Coincidentally, he was also compared by some of the experts to Trubisky, J Allen, C Wentz. Didn’t work in a pro system, sloppy footwork etc. He still has sloppy footwork sometimes and has some bad habits but he’s effective and a fun player to cheer combined with his other gifts. We’ll see how he does without Keenan Allen and M Williams. He might have Nabers and continue on the same path. Or maybe Harbaugh goes with Alt and changes the direction of the passing game to more ground and pound where Herberts role is a little different.

It just seems the one position that is so hard for any of these draft sights or experts to accurately project is QB. You see great write ups strengths and weaknesses etc. Your either right or your wrong.

You got posters that can crush LB, CB and DT projections in their sleep but when it comes to QB, their miss rate is a lot higher because they can’t project the team or system they are going to. What kind of weapons they will have, offensive line, coaching you name it. How much they can process information in game where the speed is exponentially increased.

Maye is a more talented Jordan Love. Also, they share situations regarding the difference in play/stats between their sophomore and junior years. They each lost a lot of talent after their sophomore years, which partly explains the statistical dip. They may have felt that they had to over compensate due to the lack of talent; which is understandable. I’m not defending some of the obvious flaws/decisions, but many are nitpicking Maye’s skill set/game a bit too much..maybe be prospect fatigue. In any other draft, he’s most certainly the #1 pick. This guy is insanely talented and just 21 years old. As previously stated, I’m cool with either Maye or Daniels (let’s be real, we’re drafting one of these guys…unless there’s some sort of ridiculous offer for a trade down, anything else is just bullsh#t). These dudes are super dynamic and we’re honestly fortunate to have the 3rd pick in this draft. Barring development, I’m excited to have the opportunity to have an Allen/Herbert/Love/Stroud type talent OR a Lamar/Cunningham/Watson/RG3/Wilson type of prospect. Either way, it’s intriguing. I’ve been on Maye since last year, so if I had to choose today…I’d take Maye. There’s just something special about this kid..

This 100%
Easy decision. Do not overthink this Elliot

Barnwell has interesting ESPN+ article breaking down the economic value of each position and the % chance of success you need by position to justifying drafting that position for the Patriots

“If the Patriots think Drake Maye(North Carolina) or Jayden Daniels (LSU) have even a 20% chance of turning into an NFL-caliber starting quarterback, they would be justified taking him with their pick. They would need to have more than an 80% chance of feeling confident about a running back to justify the same selection. No position is in the same ballpark as quarterback; the needed confidence rate for Marvin Harrison Jr. at wide receiver is twice as high than it would be for a player under center.”

Long article but summary later on 1st round qb’s success:
“……Those numbers are about in line with what seems right. The chances of finding a starter with a first-round quarterback are better than whiffing on a bust, but the chances of striking out are better than the chances of truly hitting a home run and locking down the quarterback position for the next decade“

Feels like this WR class is as a talented as I've seen. In terms of top 10 prospects it's as good as 2011, which was the AJ Green / Julio year, and easily matches the likes of 2010 and even 2014 which had some monster depth right from the top.

I've said previously that if MHJ is there I'd take him, but I don't mind if it's a QB instead and we go after a WR in round 2 and beyond.

Would tell me they are pretty sure the draft is going 3 QBs 2 WRs then anything could happen after
The wild cards are MIN and McCarthy. If MIN doesn't trade up to 3-5 for a top QB, then all is wide open starting with 6 (obviously).

I suspect that LAC will trade down for someone that highly values a QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST