PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the coaching staff should be able to develop any of the top 6 into a top 15 QB.

If they believe that the top 4 are really much better than Nix and Penix, then they should pick their man; if not trade down.

If 2 or 3 Qb's are acceptable at 3, and fairly even in evaluation, then we can consider trading down to 4 or 5. For example, if Williams and Harrison are 1 and 2, then at "worst" the next 3 picks are QB's, including 5, so 5 are "safe"

If we like Nix and and/or Penix almost as much as the top 4, then can indeed trade down to 7 or 8.

My suspicion is that 5 QB's will be drafted in the top 12, or even in the top 10.

I get that, but if that happens, what if you turn into the Browns or the Cardinals, and just draft a QB every 3 years for the next 25? I guess it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

Personally, I'd build the team up (again, assuming the draft magazine isn't telling me to take a QB), and take a chance on a FA QB in a couple of years - they come up just as often, and you missed out on one this year (Mayfield). I just want them to be good enough for FAs to actually consider coming here - and not have to shop in the dumpster for the next 20 years. Now, whether the owner will do that or not is another story.

Again, if you think the QB can play, you take him. If there is no QB that can play, BPA or Trade Down. Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald never won a damn thing - but he did go on a couple of deep runs with a FA QB a couple of times.

I don’t believe in the free agent market for quarterbacks. I think the good ones never make it to market, and the ones that do are mediocre, and get grossly overpaid. I would rather use first round picks until I find a great one, and then keep them for the next 12-15 years. You can get great players at every other position through trades and free agency, but not at quarterback, and I have no interest in average quarterbacks, as you never win anything with them.

I agree, I never want ownership making draft decisions. But I also believe there is a Boston sports radio line going around that if they draft quarterback it means the Kraft’s made the call, and I don’t buy that. I think 99% of what they spew ******** about is made up controversies to piss people off, and drive ratings. From everything I have gathered so far there are 3, and possibly 4 quarterbacks in this draft who could become franchise quarterbacks, and nothing I have heard so far has called that into question,
I mean, if you watched that 'Drake Maye's Last Game' tape and though 'Wow, he's a franchise cornerstone', then we watched different tapes.

From what I've watched, there's 1 QB who has the potential to be a good starter in the league, and he's going #1 overall. I really see this class a lot like the 2021 class, overhyped, because so many teams are QB-desperate.

I don’t believe in the free agent market for quarterbacks. I think the good ones never make it to market, and the ones that do are mediocre, and get grossly overpaid. I would rather use first round picks until I find a great one, and then keep them for the next 12-15 years. You can get great players at every other position through trades and free agency, but not at quarterback, and I have no interest in average quarterbacks, as you never win anything with them.
The best don't make it to market - but good ones certainly can sometimes. It's not ideal, obviously you'd want to draft one - but you don't draft a guy just to draft a guy, either.

We can and will draft a QB every year until we are satisfied that we have a top 15 QB and an adequate backup.

I could certainly see us drafting someone this year and then draft another in the 2nd round next year.

I’m gambling on the quarterback every time. And if I didn’t believe in them after a year or two I would go right back to the well, and keep doing it until I struck gold, I just don’t believe you can win Championships without really good Quartetback, and winning Championships is the only point in doing this. The last thing I want is a team like the Bengals when Mike Brown was completely content to be average every season and just cash the NFL checks. At one point the reports were that his scouting department was a draft magazine. And that’s not hyperbole, by all accounts it was true, he literally wasn’t paying a scouting department, and didn’t give one **** if they ever won anything.
That might be the only point to us fans, but to owners, the #1 concern is to make money, and RK is doing that very well.

We can and will draft a QB every year until we are satisfied that we have a top 15 QB and an adequate backup.

I could certainly see us drafting someone this year and then draft another in the 2nd round next year.
That's how you become the Cleveland Browns.

I mean, if you watched that 'Drake Maye's Last Game' tape and though 'Wow, he's a franchise cornerstone', then we watched different tapes.

From what I've watched, there's 1 QB who has the potential to be a good starter in the league, and he's going #1 overall. I really see this class a lot like the 2021 class, overhyped, because so many teams are QB-desperate.
How confident are you in this prediction compared to the Mac Jones will be our week 1 starter one?

How confident are you in this prediction compared to the Mac Jones will be our week 1 starter one?
Much more confident. Trading Mac Jones and getting something for him was the most surprising and best move they've made all off-season. I didn't think Kraft would eat the $5 million. Turns out, he wasn't looking to spend on anyone this offseason, so the $5 million was figured into the ""spending"". That's where that prediction came from, and I'm very glad to have been wrong about it.

That's how you become the Cleveland Browns.
a truly strange response

The Browns are a team that traded 3 firsts and a couple of more picks to get a QB.

a truly strange response

The Browns are a team that traded 3 firsts and a couple of more picks to get a QB.
And before that spent the previous 20 years drafting a QB in the first round every 2-3 years.

The best don't make it to market - but good ones certainly can sometimes. It's not ideal, obviously you'd want to draft one - but you don't draft a guy just to draft a guy, either.

I agree, you don’t draft one just to draft one, but you have to keep taking shots at getting a great QB until you hit on it, because once you do you can truly contend, and you are set at the position for the next 12-15 years . They don’t come ready made, they all have to be coached up and develop, but teams shouldn’t be afraid of taking their shots at getting one,

Seems like on the one hand you are dismissing Maye because he had a bad game, while at the same time dismissing Daniel’s even though he played out of his mind in the best conference in college, while heralding William’s. who had a number of tough games this season. It doesn’t seem like there’s any consistency to your logic, and you just like one, and not the others, which is fine, but don’t think that it’s logical because it isn’t. I’ll take any one of the top 3, and probably McCarthy as well, because all of them give them a much better chance of developing a franchise QB than anyone else they can get. They can take a pass if they want, but we all better get used to sucking for another 3 years, because they won’t be turning into winners any time before that without a good quarterback.

Wolf probably doesn't last long if the following occurs:

Trade down from three and take McCarthy. McCarthy is a bust and Maye/Daniels are stars after being picked at three.

Or...the above scenario happens except they pick a tackle instead of McCarthy.

The only possible way he can offset these scenarios is if they somehow got the largest draft trade haul in NFl history. Like Minnesota goes crazy and gives up 4 first rounders, and a few second rounders, within next few drafts + Jefferson. And if I'm Minnesota, I'm not mortgaging that kind of capital.

LT is more important to the team right now than WR but since it seems as though all the good tackles are gone by pick 34, we're going to need to pivot to WR. You're still getting a WR with top end natural ability if you're picking at 34, whether that's Worthy, Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin or even Ladd McConkey.

But you're better off waiting until pick 68 for Kiran Amegdajie, Patrick Paul, Blake Fischer or Dominick Puni. These 4 are not immediate plug and play guys. One of them will be there at 68. I favor also dipping in for another one in the 5th -- a guy like Christian Jones or Javon Foster.

This is simply a matter of taking what the market will bear. All the mocks are predicting the top tackles will be gone. I'm much less inclined to take a guy like Jordan Morgan or K Sumataia at 34 knowing that they are going to have to sit as long as one of the 4 you're likely to grab in the 3rd round.

For those concerned about Daniel’s build. Randall Cunningham was 6’4 212 at his combine, and played 16 years between 212-215 in what everyone knows was a far more violent NFL, especially for QB’s. And he ran the ball all the time. If Daniels shows the ability to make the middle of the field throws on target he should be well worth his draft status. His pro day is today, should be interesting.

For those concerned about Daniel’s build. Randall Cunningham was 6’4 212 at his combine, and played 16 years between 212-215 in what everyone knows was a far more violent NFL, especially for QB’s. And he ran the ball all the time. If Daniels shows the ability to make the middle of the field throws on target he should be well worth his draft status. His pro day is today, should be interesting.
Well, he ran for six of those seasons really. And then he started missing games and stopped running.

I’ve always liked Penix Jr, but I like him a little more after that 4.4 40. Although he’d be my 3rd-4th choice after Maye, Daniels and maybe McCarthy, I wouldn’t be upset if we gained a few first rounders/elite player haul in a trade down. While I am slightly concerned about his injury history, he can stand in the pocket and deliver the football accurately in a timely/consistent basis; while having the ability to create with his legs. He’s a R-A-L-R type QB (Run as last resort), which is the ideal archetype. He’ll be 24, but I like the experience and composure (yes, he had the best OL in college). Remember, Stroud/Herbert weren’t considered “mobile” at the collegiate level, but both have shown they can do it effectively in the NFL when need be. Also, Penix ran a lot more while at Indiana. The left handed dynamic would be interesting. His medicals are allegedly clean, he can sling it accurately from the pocket consistently & strong arm/high IQ, played in inclement weather, experienced, 6’3” 218-220 and just ran a 4.4 haha. I see him landing with teams like the Dolphins, Vikings, Seahawks, Raiders, Rams or Broncos, but yeah..I’d be cool with him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back