PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2024 NFL Draft Thread (Continued..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss, McShay, and Schefter have all said it’s Caleb and Jayden 1 and 2 and likely Maye possibly McCarthy at 3. Why the mystery?

I think Pats want McCarthy but, aren’t sure if they can finagle a trade down. I think ultimately we take him at 3.

Zach Wilson to the Broncos makes sense if they are drafting JJ have similar athletic profiles.

Now I got a question. Is he involved in all the decision making for the draft or just trading the 3rd pick? It is not all that unusual for ownership to be part of the decision making for a pick that high where you might draft a franchise QB. I remember when the 49ers traded for the #3 overall pick, Shanahan and Lynch had to get approval from ownership to do it.

If Jonathan is just involved in deciding whether to trade the pick or not, it is in line with what a lot of teams would do with ownership being involved in the decision making. If he is involved in all the decision making for the entire draft, that is a concern.

Maybe Jerry Jones is in his ear?
I just can’t stand that snotty nose little punk
I stated in a previous post a month ago
I was coming out of a luxury suite one game. Hallway was empty. Except for him chewing out a young girl that obviously worked there. I am sure she screwed something up. But he was really riding her. That’s someone’s kid.
Just came across as a privileged little entitled brat

Last edited:
If this draft happens, a lot of people on this board will be calling for Elliot Wolf to be named Executive of the Year after night one of the draft.

nightmare
This is legitimately a worst case scenario lol. Reeks of a team that lacks confidence in who to get and wants to just collect picks and not be held accountable if things don't work out. It's also a sure way to get the fanbase to second guess the entire thing.

Reiss, McShay, and Schefter have all said it’s Caleb and Jayden 1 and 2 and likely Maye possibly McCarthy at 3. Why the mystery?

I think Pats want McCarthy but, aren’t sure if they can finagle a trade down. I think ultimately we take him at 3.
The reporting that says they like both guys but ultimately will take Maye tells me that they actually like McCarthy, but other teams like Maye and so they want to prod other teams to trade up with them and pay a pretty penny - enough capital that they could possibly then move back up themselves as necessary to grab McCarthy. The stories saying that “if they trade down, they’re taking Penix” is a smokescreen as well to hide their intention to try to push other teams to leave McCarthy on the board for them.

If it all doesn’t work out, they’ll take Nix as the backup plan later, the only guy they didn’t have a reported 30 visit with - meaning they’re hiding their actual interest in him.

That’s scary. What the hell can Jonathon know about judging talent
If they trade out of 3 …it better be for teams 1st this draft 1st and 2nd next draft and a top player …..otherwise they need to stay put and take Maye or Daniels and get the rebuild rolling…..unless they think Brissett can get them back to playoffs and they can use a high #1 on a QB next draft….but other than Manning…not sure what top tier QB are coming out

Maybe the Krafts want to be the first father-son inducted into the HOF?
Art and Dan Rooney say hi, but you’re absolutely not wrong that’s what they’re hoping for. Nobody seeks public affirmation like those two. Embarrassing

If they trade out of 3 …it better be for teams 1st this draft 1st and 2nd next draft and a top player …..otherwise they need to stay put and take Maye or Daniels and get the rebuild rolling…..unless they think Brissett can get them back to playoffs and they can use a high #1 on a QB next draft….but other than Manning…not sure what top tier QB are coming out
Manning may not play that much, never mind declare for the draft. It’s also his second season so he’s not even eligible.

Pats trade pick 3 to Giants for picks 6, 47 and a 2025 second rounder. Giants take Maye. Then, Pats trade with Arizona, receiving picks 4 and 35 in exchange for 6 and their 2025 first rounder. Arizona still gets to take Malik Nabers and still owns pick 27 and three 3rd rounders, and now has two 1st rounders again next year. NE takes McCarthy at 4 and still has picks 34, 35 and 47 in the second round and 68 in the third round. They lose their 1st next year but have two 2nds (their own and the Giants’) to soften the loss. The surplus of high picks this year lets them rebuild fast around their new QB, getting high quality WRs and OL.

Pats trade pick 3 to Giants for picks 6, 47 and a 2025 second rounder. Giants take Maye. Then, Pats trade with Arizona, receiving picks 4 and 35 in exchange for 6 and their 2025 first rounder. Arizona still gets to take Malik Nabers and still owns pick 27 and three 3rd rounders, and now has two 1st rounders again next year. NE takes McCarthy at 4 and still has picks 34, 35 and 47 in the second round and 68 in the third round. They lose their 1st next year but have two 2nds (their own and the Giants’) to soften the loss. The surplus of high picks this year lets them rebuild fast around their new QB, getting high quality WRs and OL.
OK

Now try a variation where the Pats keep their 2025 #1.

Don’t play around with the QB position, in a prime position to take a potential stud, stick at 3 and take Maye.

I agree.
Daniels or Maye are considered solid QB candidates
If 3 firsts were acquired for Trey Lance to move from 12 to 3
11 to 3 this year will require 3 firsts and a second or 2 firsts, a second and a player will be needed
Otherwise make the pick
We need a QB. I know the QB pick is a crap shoot. Just seems like this year is the year that minimize’s the bust potential at the position. You are going to have to do it eventually. Why not take the chance when we are up this high with a decent crop
Now if someone gives you the crazy price then you have to think about the haul

If a blockbuster trade does go down what’s the chances it goes down before or during the actual draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents