PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dungy's last stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruschiOnTap

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I haven't seen this mentioned around here in the flurry of coach-carousel speculation:

Does anyone think Dungy still has the Indy job if they lose big in another playoff game? He was politely asked to leave Tampa for the same reason, people are saying Schottenheimer will likely get a pink slip if he loses, does anyone think the Indy front office is considering this???

It would be a bummer if they had a better coach, but maybe it'd open the door for Steve Spurrier to make his triumphant NFL return!

Dungy is going nowhere.

The goal in Indy isn't to win the championship. It's to make the playoffs and sell a lot of tickets. They accomplish their goal every year. They're also the darling of the NFL and ESPN. There is no reason to mess with that.

I haven't seen this mentioned around here in the flurry of coach-carousel speculation:

Does anyone think Dungy still has the Indy job if they lose big in another playoff game? He was politely asked to leave Tampa for the same reason, people are saying Schottenheimer will likely get a pink slip if he loses, does anyone think the Indy front office is considering this???

It would be a bummer if they had a better coach, but maybe it'd open the door for Steve Spurrier to make his triumphant NFL return!

I'd be interested to know if Dungy makes the call on contracts in Indy - to my mind Indy have invested too much in their offense to the detriment of their defense. Manning, Wayne and Harrison are all on huge contracts are they not?

I'm not sure any other coach would put up with letting Manning run the show, then of course there's Polian to deal with.
<~~envisioning Parcells in Indy:eek:
They're also building a new stadium,I think. Anyhow it will be interesting to see what the organization will do should the Dolts fold up once again. I have no idea about their financial situation but can they afford to fix all their team holes next year?

Anyone familiar with the book Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut? There is a character called Bokonon who is this religious/spiritual leader for those who live on a fictional island. He is never caught by the authorities because he keeps a tension on the island and also keeps the people happy. He is like the Colts. Every year they are a good, competitive team, who just never quite get over the hump (just like Bokonon never gets caught by the authorities). By always being competitive, but never being quite good enough, the Colts keep the same tension and happiness amongst their fan base, and continue to sell tickets and perpetuate their ability to always be right there at the end of the season.

Anyone familiar with the book Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut? There is a character called Bokonon who is this religious/spiritual leader for those who live on a fictional island. He is never caught by the authorities because he keeps a tension on the island and also keeps the people happy. He is like the Colts. Every year they are a good, competitive team, who just never quite get over the hump (just like Bokonon never gets caught by the authorities). By always being competitive, but never being quite good enough, the Colts keep the same tension and happiness amongst their fan base, and continue to sell tickets and perpetuate their ability to always be right there at the end of the season.

Peyton's thinking: " I could play Bokonon in a television commercial . . . I'll portray him tenderly but as a bit of a doofus."

He's not going anywhere. Signed an extension last season.

One of the posters here is correct. The goal is to sell alot of tickets and win a playoff game. Not to win the SB.

They need to fill that new stadium in another year.

He's not going anywhere. Signed an extension last season.

One of the posters here is correct. The goal is to sell alot of tickets and win a playoff game. Not to win the SB.

They need to fill that new stadium in another year.

wow ryan ..you seem quite unhappy with dungy .

wow ryan ..you seem quite unhappy with dungy .

Never liked him in TB. HATED when they brought him to Indy. He's not the right fit for this team. When you have a bunch of Diva's, you can't have another Diva leading the pack.

Jim Mora Sr. was the best coach for Peyton Manning because he actually called him out on a few occasions.

Never liked him in TB. HATED when they brought him to Indy. He's not the right fit for this team. When you have a bunch of Diva's, you can't have another Diva leading the pack.

Jim Mora Sr. was the best coach for Peyton Manning because he actually called him out on a few occasions.

i actually think colts are the dark horses now in the playoffs.

I live in the Tampa Bay area and I will say this about Dungy. Low key and level headed as a coach; his players love him. Incredibly nice guy off the field. As a coach he's okay for building a mediocre team in to a winning team and getting in to the playoffs, but he's not one to take a team over the hump and win a Super Bowl. In this area people give him too much credit for turning an awful franchise around.

In reality, the Bucs franchise turned around when a bad owner died - Hugh Culverhouse had figured out it was more profitable to take in TV revenues and spend no money - and new owners came in with the agenda to win a championship. For four straight years the Bucs won less games than the year before, the window of opportunity was fading, a new coach was brought in and bingo - Bucs win the super bowl. The guy is conservative to a fault and can easily be outcoached. With the team Dungy had, thanks to a ton of high draft picks, the Bucs should have gone to the SB two or three times. Their defense was incredible but he was too conservative.

With the Colts, it seems like he knows, or has been told, to leave the offense alone. That's the smartest thing the Colts have done. I don't see that he's done anything to turn the defense around, but the salary cap may have something to do with that.

Will the Colts ever win a SB with Dungy? No.
Will they win lots of games and score lots of points? Sure, as long as the o-line stays intact. That will keep Manning on his feet, points will be scored, tickets will be sold, and the owners, NFL, and ESPN will be happy.

i actually think colts are the dark horses now in the playoffs.

"PLAYOFFS!?! Don't talk to me about PLAYOFFS!"

Actually, I agree - I haven't seen a single mediot choosing for the Colts; the direct opposite of the past 4 years of "this will be the year!!11" drooling.

Which of course makes me fear briefly that with less hype, less pressure, and better focus, this could be the year that Pay-tons is the unstoppable :robot: .

But then I remember that it's the Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes