PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does the bye-week help or hurt the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFWChargerFan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Hey Patsfans,

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else, and just wondering what you all think. Looking back at your previous 3 Superbowls, the only time you had a bye (if I'm not mistaken) was in 2003, you were the #1 Seed (14-2) earning a bye and homefield advantage throughout. Obviously, we all know the outcome as you went on to win the SB against Carolina

In 2006, my Chargers did not fare so well. We were the #1 Seed (14-2) earning a bye and homefield advantage throughout, only to lose our first game in the second round against the Pats.

Now 2007, we have the UNDEFEATED New England Patriots (16-0). You have made history by going undefeated, and I can only imagine how much of an emotional "high" this had to have been for your team, and the fans.

I know Belichik is known for being able to prepare his teams, no question. However, this year is a little different.

Coming off such an emotional high followed by 2 weeks of down time, does this help or hurt the Pats?

The Pats had the bye in all 3 Superbowl seasons and didnt have it in 05 and 06. I'd say it normally helps.

Put it this way:

NE has never failed to make the Super Bowl with a first round bye.

I have a funny feeling that it is a good thing.

After watching eight teams beat the bag out of each other this past weekend, I'd say it didn't hurt.

Well unlike some other teams who clinched early the Pats have only had a one week bye.

Unlike the Colts, Dallas, Bucs and others who either rested players and/or did not play the final game with full intensity the Patriots played a tough game with the starters making a fourth quarter comeback.

So I don't think the Pats have the slowdown problem other teams have had.

Hey Patsfans,

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere else, and just wondering what you all think. Looking back at your previous 3 Superbowls, the only time you had a bye (if I'm not mistaken) was in 2003, you were the #1 Seed (14-2) earning a bye and homefield advantage throughout. Obviously, we all know the outcome as you went on to win the SB against Carolina

In 2006, my Chargers did not fare so well. We were the #1 Seed (14-2) earning a bye and homefield advantage throughout, only to lose our first game in the second round against the Pats.

Now 2007, we have the UNDEFEATED New England Patriots (16-0). You have made history by going undefeated, and I can only imagine how much of an emotional "high" this had to have been for your team, and the fans.

I know Belichik is known for being able to prepare his teams, no question. However, this year is a little different.

Coming off such an emotional high followed by 2 weeks of down time, does this help or hurt the Pats?

Belichick is a master at keeping the team focused, not getting too high or too low. After going 16-0 the Patriots players still had things in perspective and realize the challenge ahead, this is a veteran team.

An extra week to prepare and get everybody healthy and focused on the game plan.
This Pats team full of savy playoff veterans, the extra week will just give BB more time scheme

Well unlike some other teams who clinched early the Pats have only had a one week bye.

Unlike the Colts, Dallas, Bucs and others who either rested players and/or did not play the final game with full intensity the Patriots played a tough game with the starters making a fourth quarter comeback.

So I don't think the Pats have the slowdown problem other teams have had.

Good point most teams know where they stand in the playoffs and are resting their starters for the last game of the regular season also along with the first week bye. So I would say the bye does not hurt the Pats like it could against Green Bay, Dallas, Indianapolis. I will be interested to see how those teams come out the gate.

Hey Patsfans,

Definitely helps them Charger fan. The Pats needed some time to emotionally decompress after the regular season finale. Emotionally they've been playing playoff type games for weeks now, i.e. taking everyone's best shot, one loss and their undefeated streak is over, etc. They needed a break. They'll be nice and fresh for the playoffs because in a weird way the pressure is off them now. Now everyone is in the same boat, one and done. They no longer carry the only bullseye on their back.
BTW call me crazy but I think your Chargers are going to give the Colts a much harder time than many people think. I really do!! If they can stay mature and focused (I'm asking A LOT) and keep their cool if something goes wrong for them they can win that game. LT needs to step up like a man and lead that team. If so the Bolts can win that game. But they need to be mature and professional. A big IF!!

If you rest you regain any strenght you lost, a byeweek is just what is needed to woop everyones' ass in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a blowout this weekend

Definitely helps them Charger fan. The Pats needed some time to emotionally decompress after the regular season finale. Emotionally they've been playing playoff type games for weeks now, i.e. taking everyone's best shot, one loss and their undefeated streak is over, etc. They needed a break. They'll be nice and fresh for the playoffs because in a weird way the pressure is off them now. Now everyone is in the same boat, one and done. They no longer carry the only bullseye on their back.
BTW call me crazy but I think your Chargers are going to give the Colts a much harder time than many people think. I really do!! If they can stay mature and focused (I'm asking A LOT) and keep their cool if something goes wrong for them they can win that game. LT needs to step up like a man and lead that team. If so the Bolts can win that game. But they need to be mature and professional. A big IF!!

I agree Rhody. I think as the Pats kept winning this season, going undefeated kind of became a "monkey on their back" so to speak with all the media hpye. A banged up Pats team has been able to go undefeated. A healthy, well rested Pats team is just going to be scary.

Regarding the Chargers, I can only hope. If I were a betting man, I would have to pick the Colts. However, like you said, if they come to play football rather than running their mouths, you never know what can happen.

Good luck to you against the Jags. Not sure you'll need it, but good luck nonetheless!!

the Colts have had two bye weeks in a row. Wonder if they're gonna be rusty

The Pats are undefeated this season the week after a bye. :cool:

Don't blame that on the bye. You should have won that game. If Marlon Macree had an ounce of brains, he would haved knocked the pass down, or, if he did catch it, immediately fall to the ground. Just like Marlin Jackson did to us the following week. Game over.

On average the team win by a 46 point margin on weeks after the bye this season.

BB will tell you historically all of this means crap. Crap, and I agree.

Now, I think the fact that we played all starters in a good hard fought game at the end of the year against a team that also has a good running game is good for our team going into the playoffs. More or less 3 weeks of rest in my mind is too much.

They have a good amount of rest now.

Look, we have to be a sure tackling team against the run. Team tackling is key here, ESP. with MJD and Taylor, and even Gerrard to some extent, he is a big physical qb.

Scheme wise and conditioning wise we have to be in top form this week against the run. This is how I feel....

Is it easier to win three games or four games? When you put it that way, the answer is obvious.

Regarding the Chargers, I can only hope. If I were a betting man, I would have to pick the Colts. However, like you said, if they come to play football rather than running their mouths, you never know what can happen.

Good luck to you against the Jags. Not sure you'll need it, but good luck nonetheless!!

Charger Fan I've got to believe at some point the lightbulb goes on in the minds of your best players. That they realize they need to do their talking on the field and with their performance as a TEAM. It's interesting but the Giants of the past have been very much like the Chargers. Very talented, very talkative and very underachieiving. They seem to have figured it out this year. They do a whole lot less chirping and trashtalking in the media than in the past. Maybe last weeks game took the pressure off your guys and maybe they're reading some the critiques about their personna and will finally grow up and grow into a team. We'll see. I do know one thing, you've got the talent on both sides of the ball to give any team in the NFL a tough challenge for 60 minutes. Good luck to you also. Should be a very interesting weekend of football.

BB will tell you historically all of this means crap. Crap, and I agree.

Of course my stat that the Patriots win by an avg of 46 points after a bye and that the Pats are undefeated after a bye is crap. We are talking about a sample size of 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes