PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive player maybe be given helmet radio - Which Pat should be our Defensive QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/14189897.htm

Apparently the NFL may allow one defensive player to have a radio in his helmet just as they do with the QB, enableling them to recieve plays called in from the sidelines.

Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay, co-chairman of the league's competition committee, said Wednesday there is a proposal to allow defensive players to wear radio helmets, similar to the coach-to-quarterback helmets used by offenses.

The proposal likely will come to a vote sometime about the middle of the week, and there seems to be strong support for the move. McKay said the proposal started because of concerns about teams stealing hand signals.

If the proposal is approved, a defensive coach would be able to talk to one defensive player through the radio. Teams would have to designate before each game which player would wear the radio helmet. He would be the only one who can wear the helmet. If the designated player is injured, his team would have to go back to using hand signals.

So who in your opinion would be the QB of the Defense at least for the purpose of signal calling and making changes at the line?

My initial vote goes to Bruschi, as I think he generally assumes this role anyway. But since Bruschi seems to have knack, and probably the trust of the coaches, for making adjustments I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better to have another player - Vrabel perhaps - have the coach's voice in his ear and free up Brushchi to focus on changes on the line.

One probably needs to give this role to a player who is going to be on the field for a majority of the snaps, and I guess we have to determine whether Bruschi can keep up that role.

I'm probably overthinking this too much. Bruschi's probably the no-brainer on this.

Generally I would think that a LB needs to be your field marshall as well, as a DE like Seymour is probably too close to the line to see last minute changes. But a Safety would probably be ok too as they are behind all the action and are generally looking forward to a large degree.

Definatley between Bruschi and Vrabel. Harrison might have a shot but with his career close to done and coming back from a bad knee injury..i doubt its him. Vrabel and Bruschi are both very smart players and would take care of the playcalling nicely

JoeSixPat said:
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/football/nfl/carolina_panthers/14189897.htm

Apparently the NFL may allow one defensive player to have a radio in his helmet just as they do with the QB, enableling them to recieve plays called in from the sidelines.

So who in your opinion would be the QB of the Defense at least for the purpose of signal calling and making changes at the line?

My initial vote goes to Bruschi, as I think he generally assumes this role anyway. But since Bruschi seems to have knack, and probably the trust of the coaches, for making adjustments I almost wonder if it wouldn't be better to have another player - Vrabel perhaps - have the coach's voice in his ear and free up Brushchi to focus on changes on the line.

One probably needs to give this role to a player who is going to be on the field for a majority of the snaps, and I guess we have to determine whether Bruschi can keep up that role.

I'm probably overthinking this too much. Bruschi's probably the no-brainer on this.

Generally I would think that a LB needs to be your field marshall as well, as a DE like Seymour is probably too close to the line to see last minute changes. But a Safety would probably be ok too as they are behind all the action and are generally looking forward to a large degree.
This is interesting..I think Harrison. Why?? Bruschi MAY play a lot of downs, but I'd rather have it for a player who will be on the field almost all the time. Given how that the LBs switch up a lot..a safety may be the best. The one thing that I disagree with on this is if the player is out, no defensive head set. It also makes a cheap shot of the player with the helmet VERY possible. My question would be, if a QB is taken out, does the backup get the headset?? A similar situation needs to be on D. I understand the whole part of it of switching it around play to play, but when a player is injured and out for the game??

Remix 6 said:
Definatley between Bruschi and Vrabel. Harrison might have a shot but with his career close to done and coming back from a bad knee injury..i doubt its him. Vrabel and Bruschi are both very smart players and would take care of the playcalling nicely

I didn't realize that Rodney wears his helmet on his knees...

^what are you talking about? i said probably not him because hes coming off a bad knee and he may not even play. his future is still uncertain. stop being such a ******** and trying to get me for everything you cant read or correspond

Last edited:
I don't like the idea at all...takes away from the purity of the game. It also gives lousy teams an advantage over good teams.

What the eyes in the sky might say to Bruschi might help some...what they could say to a team with horrible LB's could be huge.

How long will it stay on...even shutting it off after the huddle is a huge advantage...I would be surprised to see Belichick support this. Then again...give Belichick 2 cans and string and he would turn it into digital communication.

Remix 6 said:
trying to get me for everything you cant read or correspond

don't you have a book report to finish?

nope. im sure you do kid

Flying Fungi said:
I didn't realize that Rodney wears his helmet on his knees...

That's not the problem. When a player gets injured, the helmet radio goes down too. You want a more durable player (as Rodney's future is still a bit unsure) to have the radio.

Just Say NO. Cripes, in ten years they're going to be sending in plays, diagramed in 3D to the quarterback's digital helmet visor. Ten years later, holes and running lanes will highlighted in real-time on the running back's digital visor.

If it were to go through, I'm inclined to goout on a limband say Wilson. Here's why, Bruschi already is able to successfully call and diagnose plays before the snap. Our liability as far as being on the same page is the secondary. With Rodney around, there's no problem. Without him, there needs to be that veteran presence to call the plays and line up the unit correctly. Wilson struggled in that role, but soon he will be the dean of the secondary (when Rodney retires). By giving the headset to Wilson, we eliminate, IMO, a big weakness in our defense.

pats1 said:
That's not the problem. When a player gets injured, the helmet radio goes down too. You want a more durable player (as Rodney's future is still a bit unsure) to have the radio.
But also besides durable..a player that is going to be on the field all the time..not taken out on downs. What's the point?? I don't like it at all..wqould rather keep it the same.

Remix 6 said:
nope. im sure you do kid
:rofl: FF writing a book report, what a hoot! His teacher took his crayons away because he was making anatomical sketches on the little girls in the closet again. Rumors that his teacher is providing private instruction are still being investigated.

Box_O_Rocks said:
:rofl: FF writing a book report, what a hoot! His teacher took his crayons away because he was making anatomical sketches on the little girls in the closet again. Rumors that his teacher is providing private instruction are still being investigated.

Right! And let's NOT talk about what happened after they went on a mushroom hunt in the woods for biology class ...:rolleyes:

I think Bruschi or Harrison. Definitely an LB or DB, not anyone on the D line. It might be too diffiucult for those guys to see anything once they set up.

Mike the Brit said:
Right! And let's NOT talk about what happened after they went on a mushroom hunt in the woods for biology class ...:rolleyes:

the rumored truffle shuffle video exists!

-back to the topic--consider that, more than one helmet will be wired up, but only 1 will be active during a play or during a series. Rodney comes out, Bruschi's gets activated. Tedy and Rodney sit a spell, Vrabel's goes live. This isn't a case of the 'special radioactive helmet' sitting on a shelf because Rodney's in the tub. Or are there some couch analysts who have heard differently from other team's fans that each defensive coordinator must select a single player before camp, and that only he can ever wield the helmet of power?

I saw it on the internet--it must be true!!

If anything, this HELPS US more than any other team. We have Bill Belichick, the master of defense!

Tedy Bruschi Period.

All this does is make the defensive (ILB), play caller equal to the offensive (QB), playcaller.

If the NFL wanted to get rid of a lot of penalties, I see no reason not to put Radios into the helmets of all the OLinemen, so they can hear the QB snap count. Big Deal.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Just Say NO. Cripes, in ten years they're going to be sending in plays, diagramed in 3D to the quarterback's digital helmet visor. Ten years later, holes and running lanes will highlighted in real-time on the running back's digital visor.

I think it's far more likely that as Videogames get more realistic and the live game gets more and more restricted that eventually they'll just huddle up midfield with a Playstation or Xbox lan and have each player control their respective virtual selves on Madden. In that future it's my guess that they'll eventually vote to have the injury slider set to 'off' to keep more star players in the game. They'll probably bump the pass interference slider up to make sure those pesky Pats can't get away with murder in the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes