PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corey Dillon needs to be primary RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Maroney need more time to develop as an experienced RB, He is great on KR...but waytoo inconsistent on running plays.
Give Corey 20 carries per game with Maroney getting 5-10.
As a running back he gets stuffed far too often and can not follow the blocks.

marcus said:
Maroney need more time to develop as an experienced RB, He is great on KR...but waytoo inconsistent on running plays.
Give Corey 20 carries per game with Maroney getting 5-10.
As a running back he gets stuffed far too often and can not follow the blocks.

I think Corey has been more consistent. He also has been pulling himself out of games often and there is no doubt in my mind he has been dealing with painful injured shoulder. I also think he hurt i leg or something during that breakaway run last week - watch how he went out of bounds and hopped around to stop himself, it was more than running out of gas.

I love Maroney and think 50-50 is fine, but I would like them to stick with whomever is hot on a particular day.

We need to get Neil back and develop the killer, punishing run attack. That will free up or WR's and TE's and is how we win in Nov/Dec and Jan.

This team is far from done his year - we have as good a chance as anyone to go the distance.

I think they need to find a way to use them situationally and not in a pre-determined rotation. It would also be nice if while in the process of asking Maroney to attack the hole like Dillon they alternately made some concerted effort to develop some blocking schemes better suited to exploit his explosive speed.

I really think at the end of the day the problem with utilizing both of these players to advantage is more deeply rooted in maddeningly inconsistent Oline performances. A healthy Dillon is better suited to run in those conditions, but if he is forced to carry too much of the load as a result he won't be a viable option come December and January.

MoLewisrocks said:
I think they need to find a way to use them situationally and not in a pre-determined rotation. It would also be nice if while in the process of asking Maroney to attack the hole like Dillon they alternately made some concerted effort to develop some blocking schemes better suited to exploit his explosive speed.

I really think at the end of the day the problem with utilizing both of these players to advantage is more deeply rooted in maddeningly inconsistent Oline performances. A healthy Dillon is better suited to run in those conditions, but if he is forced to carry too much of the load as a result he won't be a viable option come December and January.

I would just add that our O-Line has been inconsistent since 2002. Brady can only take so much punishment before we see Vinnie under center. :rolleyes:

I know that the team is addressing the O-line with draft picks lately, and the injury bug has struck, but at the very least we need to keep Brady upright, even if that includes varying the game plan and 'gasp' running the ball when the passing game is disfunctional. With the caveat that we fix the running game blocking so that Maroney isn't stuffed at the hole automatically.

This is the time of year when Belichick needs to button down and make adjustments for things that no longer look so good.

Maybe we're saving Dillon for January, much like we saved Antwain Smith during the '03 season. I can't think of any other explination for the underutilization of him, particularly when it comes to running up the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes