PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colts tampered with NE ball?

I agree. Where does this colts balls never lost air come from?? Who the F knows what they were what they ended up.

Some posters here sound like gossipy girls

Several reports have indicated that the Colts first noticed that the Patriots were deflating footballs when linebacker D’Qwell Jackson intercepted a Tom Brady pass and the ball felt flat.

I was thinking the same thing, but then when they let it slip that it's supposedly still common knowledge the Patriots were deflating footballs...

Oh yeah, Doyel, like that's SO beyond the realm of possibility , you piece of dog crap.

I so hope this "investigation" turns on the Colts. I can't believe I ever let up in my general loathing of them. Never again.

I was in the same boat. I liked Luck. Now I can't wait until the Patriots humiliate him again.

Oh yeah, Doyel, like that's SO beyond the realm of possibility , you piece of dog crap.

I so hope this "investigation" turns on the Colts. I can't believe I ever let up in my general loathing of them. Never again.

He can imagine Belichick and Brady engineering this scheme to deflate footballs after the refs check them and believes it to the point where he's writing articles and making radio appearances demanding all sorts of ridiculous punishments for the everyone involved.

On the other hand, he can't imagine that Grigson is tired of seeing "his" teams (2001 Rams, 2004 Eagles, 2013 & 2014 Colts) getting beat by the Patriots and decides to do something to embarrass them when the opportunity presents itself?

Of the two scenarios, the one where the Colts deflated the intercepted ball would actually be easier to pull off.

LOL! gee, I don't know. What do you think, Walt Anderson? Stay comfy, son, Santa is right around the corner with your presents. Naive much? Holy ****...

The answer is so simple that even you can figure it out.

If the Colts stuck a gauge into the Pats ball before the refs did, then yes, they did deflate the Patriots ball by up to .25 psi.

We're really banking on Ian Rapaport being right, which is a scary proposition as I can't remember him ever actually reporting something correctly. But what he is reporting is very intuitive and let's hope there's a first time for everything. Because:

- A ball that was in play is subject to the temperature drop (a little over 1 psi drop) and volume expansion due to wet leather (another .7 psi). If that ball was gauged on the Colts sideline, it would drop an additional .25 psi. It would be around 2 psi under spec, as reported.
- Balls that were out of the bag, and in or out of play, with varying degrees of wetness would be between 1-1.8 psi under.
- Balls that were in the bag and not in play, they might not have come to equilibrium with the outside air, they might be only a "tick" under.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is that Rap is actually right here. It makes sense, its much more logical. On the flip side, you have the Patriots detractors arguing all our balls are around 2 psi under. Both balls that were in play and wet, and those that were out of play and not wet. It makes no sense. It presumes we deflated balls at an unequal amount, some of them by an arbitrarily small amount, and magically, we did it in such a way that no balls in play were deflated enough to be substantially more deflated than the others.

If it wasn't already - it's time for the league to investigate why the Colts balls did not drop. Or rather, why they did not obey the laws of physics. The answer must lie in some combination of these three answers:

- They were inflated [outdoors] with air closer to 50F.
- They were inflated to 13.5
- They were re-inflated when they realized they were going after the Pats for their ball.

All three of those, and some combination, are an acceptable answer. "They defied the laws of thermodynamics" is not.

One piece of information that has been overlooked that just adds to the notion that the NFL was biased against the Patriots and COMPLETELY oblivious to the effects of nature on a football: the Patriots were playing with Colts' balls toward the end of the second half. That means, that without having gauged the other 11 (10 if its true Legarette through his in the stands) the officials decided to force the Patriots to play with Colts' balls based on the Colts reporting one ball being under inflated. That means it never even crossed their minds that temperature could cause depressurization or a wet football would expand to also read as depressurization. It means they saw one ball under, assumed the Patriots were cheating, and without any further evidence, took their balls out of play.

Here we are, three weeks later, and the NFL is still throwing the Patriots into water and seeing if we float to determine if we're witches.

Figure it out.
Nobody knows what the colts balls were inflated to. In fact are there official measurements published about anything?

Nobody knows what the colts balls were inflated to. In fact are there official measurements published about anything?

No. The fact is we will never know. Because the refs never wrote the initial numbers down, So all we will get is that the colts balls were within the limit when they were measured again. So say the colts come in with 13.5 PSI and it drops a few ticks to say 13 PSI. Still within the limit but there was a drop. Now Pats balls are 12.5 and they drop a few ticks to say 12 PSI. They are under the limit and BB, Brady and the Pats are skewered for 2 weeks because irsay and grigson wanted to make it a thing and tip off a couple of guys (Kravitz and Mortenson). Mortenson said 2 PSI. Wonder where he got that from? Oh what's that now the report is it was only the ball the colts had in their possession which started the whole thing that was 2 PSI under. And now also there are people in the league that think the colts may have deflated it themselves.

I agree. Where does this colts balls never lost air come from?? Who the F knows what they were what they ended up.

Some posters here sound like gossipy girls
News Flash: the entire NFL is populated by people who soun d like gossipy girls.

We're really banking on Ian Rapaport being right, which is a scary proposition as I can't remember him ever actually reporting something correctly. But what he is reporting is very intuitive and let's hope there's a first time for everything. Because:

- A ball that was in play is subject to the temperature drop (a little over 1 psi drop) and volume expansion due to wet leather (another .7 psi). If that ball was gauged on the Colts sideline, it would drop an additional .25 psi. It would be around 2 psi under spec, as reported.
- Balls that were out of the bag, and in or out of play, with varying degrees of wetness would be between 1-1.8 psi under.
- Balls that were in the bag and not in play, they might not have come to equilibrium with the outside air, they might be only a "tick" under.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is that Rap is actually right here. It makes sense, its much more logical. On the flip side, you have the Patriots detractors arguing all our balls are around 2 psi under. Both balls that were in play and wet, and those that were out of play and not wet. It makes no sense. It presumes we deflated balls at an unequal amount, some of them by an arbitrarily small amount, and magically, we did it in such a way that no balls in play were deflated enough to be substantially more deflated than the others.

If it wasn't already - it's time for the league to investigate why the Colts balls did not drop. Or rather, why they did not obey the laws of physics. The answer must lie in some combination of these three answers:

- They were inflated [outdoors] with air closer to 50F.
- They were inflated to 13.5
- They were re-inflated when they realized they were going after the Pats for their ball.

All three of those, and some combination, are an acceptable answer. "They defied the laws of thermodynamics" is not.

One piece of information that has been overlooked that just adds to the notion that the NFL was biased against the Patriots and COMPLETELY oblivious to the effects of nature on a football: the Patriots were playing with Colts' balls toward the end of the second half. That means, that without having gauged the other 11 (10 if its true Legarette through his in the stands) the officials decided to force the Patriots to play with Colts' balls based on the Colts reporting one ball being under inflated. That means it never even crossed their minds that temperature could cause depressurization or a wet football would expand to also read as depressurization. It means they saw one ball under, assumed the Patriots were cheating, and without any further evidence, took their balls out of play.

Here we are, three weeks later, and the NFL is still throwing the Patriots into water and seeing if we float to determine if we're witches.
The alternative to Rappaport being right is Mortenson being right. Heh. The universe may implode.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back