PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Collinsworth on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Collingsworth on WEEI

The only real advantage I see from video is the ability to be assured you’ve captured their signals more accurately. However, with the correct amount of people whose sole job is to capture this information, that task isn’t even that difficult.

My two cents is that I think it’s an advantage over normal sign stealing, but more so in the form of cost effectiveness and efficiency. You only need to hire one videographer to capture the information, rather than 6-10 people to capture the signals.

Hope I was able to answer your questions.

"Cost effectiveness and efficiency", two words that fit the NEP to a T. What's so evil about doing what everyone else is doing, only more efficiently?

Cameragate brings me to imagine 32 cars exceeding the speed limit on the interstate, incl. (at least) one that's using a fuzzbuster, just to be sure.

Self-important blowhards like Collinsworth are either ignorant to what occurs outside the lines, or they are hypocrites.

BTW, this is IMHO the best explanation for NE's method of stealing signals. It is from the footballoutsiders website by a poster using the handle Al 45. I will bold the parts that are questions from a prior post.

Purds, I’m going to attempt to answer your questions. Please keep in mind, however, that I do believe video taping signals is an advantage over simply writing them down on paper. I do believe it’s more efficient and, in some instances, could be more cost effective.

Anyway, let me answer your questions as they are numbered.

1)How, exactly, do you describe on paper the signals sent in by a team? I think it would be pretty hard to watch a 5-10 second set of signals, remember their order and exactly what they did (”Did that guy touch his shoulder, or his chest?”), and write the order and exact description down accurately. Additionally, it’s a chore, and you need as many watchers as coaches sending in signals (3, usually, I think.) With video, you need one, unskilled person.

Actually, it’s not as difficult as you think. I was a pitcher in college and, when I was not on the mound, part of my jobs was to decipher the signals being sent into the catcher from the coach (or from the coach to the batter).

Much like in baseball, but even more so in football given the distance and timing associated with everything, signals must be distinct to make it as easy as possible to read them correctly when they are given.*

Therefore, it’s easy to see if someone touches a shoulder or his chest, or belt, or ear, or nose, or cheek, etc…

Also, much like a secretary, we used a form of shorthand for writing down these signals. Usually one or two letters per code.

Even with the coaches rambling off the signs fast, with 3, sometimes 4 of us, watching and writing it down, it was rare for more than one of us to have a different set of signals than the others. Almost without exception, at least 3 of us always came up with the same signals, but more times than not, it was all of us.

*There are two reasons for the signals to be distinct. One, so the defense doesn’t misinterpret the signal and call the wrong defense. Two, so that it doesn’t have to be repeated. One of the easiest ways to have someone break your code is to be forced to repeat the same code twice in a row. Since, in most circumstances, there will be a couple hot signals and a few dummy signals, it’s quite common — more often than not — for the signaler to forget the dummy signals, redo the semaphore, and you’ll get a different set of dummies, or at least a couple different, but then some of the same which were possibly the hot signals.

2) Have you ever used video to look at a complex human action, like giving multiple signals with only one being real? I haven’t done that, but I have broken down video in my role as a track and field coach, and video represents such an advantage in understanding what you’re seeing with the naked eye that video is prohibited in track meets at all levels. You can record video at a meet, but neither coaches nor athletes can look at it until the entire meet is over. The penalty is disqualification for that athlete in that event, and he’s scratched for the rest of the meet. You can watch a high jumper all you want with the naked eye, and try to tell him exactly what’s going wrong, but if you’re (A) wrong in what you saw, or (B) unable to clearly articular in words to the athlete what you saw, then you’re not going to be able to help anywhere nearly as effectively as a videotape conference with the athlete would accomplish. Now, how does this relate to football signals? If a head coach or offensive coordinator wants to learn to visually identify during a game a few key signals (blitz or not, for example, just that one thing) that the opponent is using, based on previous game use of signals, then it would be MUCH easier to look at the video of the signals from past games, then it would be to read a written the interpretation of the signals.

I didn’t copy your whole question in (attempting to save space), but I have extensive video experience. Not only have I done my own video work, but when I was a pitcher in college (and I also was a position player), I had extensive video sessions analyzing my pitching and hitting mechanics. So the use of video is not lost on me.

That being said, there’s a huge difference between that and reading signs. Due to the fact that the signs have to be distinct, the manner in which the signal is given wouldn’t matter. For instance, it’s not likely a defensive coordinator is going to touch his chest, but only use two fingers if it’s one thing, but 4 if it’s another. In the heat of the game, and the possible distance at which the defensive player must read the signal, it’s quite possible that such a subtle distinction is missed.

However, when people are really trained at breaking signals, small things like that don’t go unnoticed. We’d always look for things like that even though we knew that, for the most part, it never meant anything. Usually, the most you would need to know in terms of how a signal was given is if it was given with the left or right arm/hand. Did he touch the left or right cheek with the left or right hand, for instance. That stuff, while nice to see on video, still isn’t that much helpful over reading it on a piece of paper and then knowing the signal.

3) Now, one might argue that no NFL team would ever use the same signals from one game to the next. Really? As the most famous example, I’ll cite a little think called the Super Bowl, where the Raiders did not change their audibles even though they were playing a team led by their previous head coach. So, I am not arguing that every team would keep the same signals, but surely some would, and have.

Well, that was stupid on their part. I’m not sure why they didn’t change their audibles. That being said, defensive signals are a bit different. Every coach in the league understands that, when they’re giving their signals, someone is watching them and recording (maybe not on video tape, but writing it down) what they are doing. In this day and age, if you’re using the same signals for the second time you play a game, you’re an idiot and don’t deserve to be coaching in the NFL. Hence the reason Bill Callahan is no longer coaching in the NFL.

4) Finally, the ability to look at video over and over and over until you figure it out, well, that’s a huge advantage. Again, they might not figure out everything, but even knowing just whether to expect a blitz or not would be a HUGe advantage to a team.

Yes, but so is the ability to read the signals over and over and over again (matched with the plays on film).

The only real advantage I see from video is the ability to be assured you’ve captured their signals more accurately. However, with the correct amount of people whose sole job is to capture this information, that task isn’t even that difficult.

My two cents is that I think it’s an advantage over normal sign stealing, but more so in the form of cost effectiveness and efficiency. You only need to hire one videographer to capture the information, rather than 6-10 people to capture the signals.

Hope I was able to answer your questions.

Sorry to quote such a long post, but, IMO, it deserves re-reading. My take on this is that videoing my have an advantage on future games but it would be minimal. Since the sound is shut off to the QB during the last 15 sec of the play clock, he would have to pick up hand signals from his own side within the last 10 sec or so. Surely a distraction of his own ablility to read a defense. Depending on this rather than the QB's read would lead to more time-out's at the line, a questionable advantage.
The vehement objections from other coaches are laughable. Have they tried it and found it "too hard"? Did they not want to make the investment to compete? Are the 50% who don't object doing it, too? No wonder The Comish burned BB's tapes and slammed the door on this kettle of worms. Going back to the fairness of the penalty, it can only be judged by what the penalty would have done to a team such as Buffalo, Miami, or any other team in disarray who were trying to gain an edge, Would The Comish have hit them this hard?
Third, considering how much emphasis BB puts on film breakdown of games and individual players it isn't unlikely that he would devote a similar interest in assistant coaches. They move up, change teams, etc, and many teams discourage media contact for their assistants. Sideline film would help identify the tendencies of leaders and decision-makers. When we played the Chargers, BB mentioned reviewing games of different teams led by the new coaches.
Finally, IMO, possibly the largest advantage, especially during the game being taped, is the intimidation factor and the distraction it creates from tending to business. Would Mangini actually have 4 coaches waving their arms if he wasn't intimidated? BB must have been laughing his a** off when he saw that. How much thought actually went in to the defensive play call? It may have been personally expensive for BB, but Mangini's reaction and the fallout to it may ultimately prove to be his downfall.

It appears that the infamous memo went out on September 6, 2006 according to the NFL. This means that the league did not enforce this for an entire season after the memo went out. I expect that it probably caught BB by surprise.

There are numerous reports of this on the web. Here are a few.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1635

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2007/09/13/ramblings/week-in-quotes/5480/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/09/13/a_sorry_state/?page=2

Its unfair and dishonest for CC and other to keep emphasizing that the memo came out the previous week then. This does seem odd. Unless there was another gentle reminder this year with the new little napoleon in charge.

Dale Arnold is a *****.

Chris Collisworth, aka Bird Boy, is full of crap! All of the other coaches are furious at Belichick? Spare me! Bill Cowher having the Steelers practicing in pads at the OTA's is cheating, where does Bird Boy sit on that? The 49ers and Broncos cheating on the salary cap, where does Bird Boy sit on that? He is such a phony just like his career with the Bengals!

collinsworthless is so full of it, taking the moral high ground. the commissioner came out after viewing the tape and said the pats gained no "competitive advantage". translation : they didn't "cheat" or influence the integrity of the game. anyone who is outraged by the placement of the camera are either pushing an agenda or are intellectually dishonest. **** butkus was on mike and mike and said coach halas was spying on and being spied on since the fifties. he said it was being blown way out of proportion. of course the other coaches and gm's want bb to be suspended. they're trying to beat the pats and save their sorry butts. collinsworthless is a mouthpiece for these losers.

My whole take on spygate is if you're too stupid to protect your signals, like by having 2 guys in there giving them, etc, you don't deserve to have a job in the NFL.

I like Collingsworth, he is not afraid to rip players, GMs or the media. He has a lot more access than we do and his opinion is his opinion. At least he didn't sugar coat his position.

Watching NESN today they were talking about Harrison coming back from an 'unfortunate situation'. What the hell is that? An unfortunate situation is slipping in the shower or having a reporter break your ear drum. Harrison is coming back from a 4 game suspension for taking performance enhancing drugs (aka cheating).

The ball washing that goes on is unreal.

How can you possibly "like" this guy? He is one of the biggest A-holes in professional sports commentating, and is probably THE biggest Pats hater that ever lived.......seriously....I don't get how any pats fan could stand this arrogant d-bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes