PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS columnist: Polian belongs in HOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy put together that Bills team of the 90s that went to 4 straight Super Bowls. He was able to do something that the Texans and Browns wish they could have done, brought an expansion team to the NFC Championship game in its second year of existence. He put together the Colts team of the last decade. He may be the most arrogant, unprofessional, arsehole on the planet, but a no brainer HOFer.

Last edited:
The guy is a proven winner; I figured it was a given that he's headed to the hall of fame. He may be a d-bag for screaming 'break his effing leg' when Flutie had the ball, but that's not the point. And he may have pushed the envelope in getting the committee which he is part of to push for more stringent officiating in response to the way a blueprint had just been layed out for the rest of the NFL on how to beat his team. And he certainly threw a verbal jab at the Pats in response to questions about not going for 16-0. But that doesn't take away from how effective he is as an NFL executive. Actually there are some similarities between him and Belichick in regard to his productivity and to his public perception.

Yeah, he probably does.

I don't agree with your conclusion, since winning the Super Bowl pretty well erases anything else.

BUT, otherwise you raise an interesting point. In the unlikely event that the Colts lose on Sunday, it is very possible that his record will always have an "asterisk" because of that decision. However, unfortunately, I have the Dolts winning in a blowout over a team that seems "just happy to be there."

I think you've missed the point. Polian didn't have the balls to attempt to make history. Belichick did.

Winning the Super Bowl will reaffirm that they COULD have been 19-0, if only they had tried. A win will definately leave Colts fans lamenting "what if"?

Saying "FU" to Football Immortality should be a factor in whether you have a place in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:
This wouldn't even be a topic of discussion right now if Polian chose Leaf over Manning.

Last edited:
I don't agree with your conclusion, since winning the Super Bowl pretty well erases anything else.

BUT, otherwise you raise an interesting point. In the unlikely event that the Colts lose on Sunday, it is very possible that his record will always have an "asterisk" because of that decision. However, unfortunately, I have the Dolts winning in a blowout over a team that seems "just happy to be there."

Just remember, I think that was what most pundits and fans were saying about the Giants two years ago...

The guy put together that Bills team of the 90s that went to 4 straight Super Bowls. He was able to do something that the Texans and Browns wish they could have done, brought an expansion team to the NFC Championship game in its second year of existence. He put together the Colts team of the last decade. He may be the most arrogant, unprofessional, arsehole on the planet, but a no brainer HOFer.

He isn't a no brainer for the simple reason he was a personnel man only and not a field general or owner. Kind of like being a punter or kicker or safety...positions that simply have not merited the respect/consideration they perhaps deserve. In order to just be considered Polian has to be exceptionally special. HC's and GM's have spent decades pointing impact fingers at each other, and at the end of the day the nod has always gone to the HC's (credited if you win, blamed if you don't) and above all others the HC's who are also GM's and franchise architects - which would be Belichick. Which is also why Pioli will never merit serious consideration UNLESS he makes a ring winner AGAIN out of some team where he actually had total control.

And again, what he did in Carolina had less to do with Bill Polian's genius than the league's determination to set expansion teams up to be worth the price of admission. As another poster pointed out, both Carolina and Jacksonville's success that season led to the league changing the formula making it harder for future expansion teams to get a leg up on the competition out of the gate. And Carolina went into the crapper the following season...after which Polian moved on to Indy...and remained there as the team and the organization Bill built there just unraveled and fell apart.

He isn't a no brainer for the simple reason he was a personnel man only and not a field general or owner. Kind of like being a punter or kicker or safety...positions that simply have not merited the respect/consideration they perhaps deserve. In order to just be considered Polian has to be exceptionally special. HC's and GM's have spent decades pointing impact fingers at each other, and at the end of the day the nod has always gone to the HC's (credited if you win, blamed if you don't) and above all others the HC's who are also GM's and franchise architects - which would be Belichick. Which is also why Pioli will never merit serious consideration UNLESS he makes a ring winner AGAIN out of some team where he actually had total control.

And again, what he did in Carolina had less to do with Bill Polian's genius than the league's determination to set expansion teams up to be worth the price of admission. As another poster pointed out, both Carolina and Jacksonville's success that season led to the league changing the formula making it harder for future expansion teams to get a leg up on the competition out of the gate. And Carolina went into the crapper the following season...after which Polian moved on to Indy...and remained there as the team and the organization Bill built there just unraveled and fell apart.

Two personnel guys have made the HOF. Tex Schramm is in the HOF. Jim Finks is in the HOF and his greatest achievement was four Super Bowl losses for the Vikings and giving the Saints their first winning season. I think Polian matches up well against those two especially Finks.

Like him or not, Polian has been the chief engineer of three different teams that produced 8 conference championship appearances (a record of 6-2), six Super Bowl appearances, and potentially two Super Bowl wins. That is a significant accomplishment. I hate Polian as much as anyone, but he has accomplished quite a bit and deserves to be in the HOF. He is the best GM of the modern era. Better than Belichick (since Belichick uses his brilliant coaching mind to coach up players who wouldn't have done anything for a lesser coach).

For all the haters:

Who wouldn't want Polian to become the Pats' personnel man? I hate him as much as the next guy, but you can't deny what he's done with the Colts.

He's been brilliant. They plug in what appear to be nobodies who excel. Who thought much of Garcon or Collie coming out of the draft? These two make some plays.

Two personnel guys have made the HOF. Tex Schramm is in the HOF. Jim Finks is in the HOF and his greatest achievement was four Super Bowl losses for the Vikings and giving the Saints their first winning season. I think Polian matches up well against those two especially Finks.

Like him or not, Polian has been the chief engineer of three different teams that produced 8 conference championship appearances (a record of 6-2), six Super Bowl appearances, and potentially two Super Bowl wins. That is a significant accomplishment. I hate Polian as much as anyone, but he has accomplished quite a bit and deserves to be in the HOF. He is the best GM of the modern era. Better than Belichick (since Belichick uses his brilliant coaching mind to coach up players who wouldn't have done anything for a lesser coach).

I disagree that Polian is the better GM. Lombardi was just on WEEI and he explained Polian's philosophy which is predicated entirely around the QB and the offense abd based on a blank slate pholosophy that requires you teambuild by acquiring guys with no basis other than yours and coach them up to do just enough to compliment that QB and offense. You spend money on a few key pieces on offense and defense beyond that QB, and you hope for the best from the rest.

The value of Bill's approach, build through the trenches via draft, find a QB who can make plays consistently and won't hurt you, and locate under utilized players with some experience and integrate them into your system, was born out in 2008. Bill is building for the long term, Polian has always built to win now - not championships per se but enough games to put or keep fannies in seats. That was why Irsay persued him. He needed his team to be relevant so he wouldn't have to repeat the sins of his father. And to accomplish that he needed a stadium deal in Indianapolis within a decade. A Lombardi was gravy, although over time it became increasingly clear the expectations of the fan base increased exponentially once they started winning. The Lombardi's now matter more than anything because of the rivalry that ensued on the way to a new stadium...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes