PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CBS split video of Kelvin Benjamin TD overturn NOT in sync

Wheelman

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I was just watching the video to see how many times CBS shows the best view of Kelvin Benjamin's foot not being on the ground. They showed it twice. 1st time Romo sees this view he thinks it might be overturned. 2nd time the view is shown, Romo thinks the foot might be off the ground but says the call will probably just stand as called on the field. Here's the best view for anyone that cares:

So moving on, as I'm watching the broadcast video I noticed something peculiar on the split screen of the play showing two different angles at the same time. I see pellets on the angle of the left and nothing on the right. The left screen angle does not show the ball where as the right screen angle does show the ball. So I look closely to see how I can find out if it's out of sync.

Benjamin's right knee contacting the pylon shows clear evidence that the left screen angle that is showing pellets coming up is behind the right screen angle that shows the ball.

1. Initial contact with pylon
Notice when you can 1st see contact with the pylon on the right screen, there's a gap between Benjamin's knee and the pylon on the left screen. You could argue maybe the angle is making it look like it's touching when it's not. So on to the next point...

2. Pylon flexing
Notice the flexing of the pylon on the right screen angle vs none on the left screen angle. Or go further into the video noticing the different amount of flex in the pylon from the right screen angle vs the left screen angle

3. Pylon's 1st contact with ground after being dislodged from the ground
Notice how the top of the Pylon hits the ground on the right screen angle before the left screen angle.

The split screen view is the last view shown on the broadcast and Jim Nantz is pointing how he see pellets coming up on the left screen angle that doesn't show the ball! They stop the simultaneous video based off of the right screen angle which is showing the ball. Should also note the right screen angle doesn't provide enough detail to see the pellets coming up but the best angle shown in the tweet does provide enough detail.

The video's are out of sync. When the video is paused based on when Romo believes the ball to be secured from the right angle, the left screen angle, that has an obstructed view of the ball, shows Benjamin's left foot before it starts dragging and lifting up pellets.

This is completely ****ed up! Can someone post screenshots of the 3 points i've made showing the proof of this as well as any screenshots showing other proof of this, please?

Questions I have:

Is it impossible or extremely difficult to perfectly sync two videos together?

Collingsworth(or Al Michaels?) has mentioned several times that they can piece two different videos together and use that as evidence to make a call. If this is true and the answer is yes to my first question, how many calls has the NYJFL* got wrong based off of out of sync video?

I will never trust simultaneous video again, and neither should anyone else.

Finally, after someone makes the screenshots of this, can you send them to someone in the media on twitter? CBS and NYJFL* needs to be exposed for their corruption and/or incompetence!

The ****ing damage being done to Pro football by NYJFL*, the broadcasters and the corrupt 32 just never freaking ends!:rolleyes:

Bills fans have been complaining about this non-stop. Okay. We'll give you that TD.

Bills lose 37-23.

riverons explanation is incontrovertible.

It is actually often not as trivial as it seems to automatically sync an event captured by two (or even more) independent sources down to the millisecond.

I have never worked with broadcast cameras and their feed system but from my experience writing p2p services and dedicated server services I can only tell you that syncing communication is not as straight forward as many imagine.

e.g. when you are sending packets over a network you need some kind of central authority that essentially tells every participant what the time is because you can not just rely on their local timestamps to sync things.

And given how long replay reviews take in the NFL I would not be surprised if they dont actually have some kind of automated system that keeps the feeds in sync but instead try to stitch those things together by hand based on some visual cues.

And to be honest it is one of those cases where you might actually pay a ****ton of money for something that will only be used 20 times a season and in each case would result in maybe shaving off a minute or so.

All that being said.. I think I wrote it in the post game thread but what Riveron & co simply need to do is push the piece of evidence they stitched together that gave a definitive shot immediately to the broadcasting partner so they can show it right after the ref announces it. This would help introduce more transparency to the centralized review process and shut up most conspiracy theories. Additionally, having to publish that one shot (or sequence) would add a bit of pressure onto themselves to only reverse things that are really obvious and not guess work.

[...]
Questions I have:

Collingsworth(or Al Michaels?) has mentioned several times that they can piece two different videos together and use that as evidence to make a call. If this is true and the answer is yes to my first question, how many calls has the NYJFL* got wrong based off of out of sync video?

I will never trust simultaneous video again, and neither should anyone else.

Finally, after someone makes the screenshots of this, can you send them to someone in the media on twitter? CBS and NYJFL* needs to be exposed for their corruption and/or incompetence!

The ****ing damage being done to Pro football by NYJFL*, the broadcasters and the corrupt 32 just never freaking ends!:rolleyes:
Questions you should have include whether the Central Replay desk ever saw that mash-up or was it cranked out by the CBS production team on their own? And, did CBS intentionally or through sloppiness create a badly-synced video to foment more controversy?

Answer, to your first question: somewhat difficult, depending on what you have to work with and required precision and accuracy. Requires attention to detail, competence, some technology foundation. No idea what the league or CBS has on those, don't assume the two are the same.

Better second question might be, how many calls has the league gotten right and TV broadcasters have incorrectly impugned, to foment controversy and boost their ratings?

CBS blew this out of proportion. Most the mediots argued this call by using a rear view shot With no ball or hand view.

The day the bills win in New England is the day I’m an astronaut. Lol

But but but....the bills lost all the momentum after that call and would have won the game...:rolleyes:

In that case, then, McDermott should be fired. Any coach that allows his team to implode that early on in a game because of a call like that clearly is not fit for the job he's in.

I mean it's not hard to see that the ball is still in that "not controlled" phase while he is going out

I'd guess that the cameras are in sync from a centralized timer (VITC or similar), but the absolute start of each frame capture isn't 100% in sync. At 60 frames per second, that could lead to a gap of up to 16ms for each frame that gets an identical time code.

Regards,
Chris

2016: Bills 16 Pats 0

How’s outer space?
Space was cool

Dr-Evil-Saying-Cool.gif

And David DeCastro was 4 yards downfield blocking, which clued the safeties and LBs that it was a RUN, which turned into a TD pass as the Pat defenders were rightly closing on an expected run play.

It happens, all the time, every game. Teams have to overcome Von Miller going off-sides repeatedly in Denver, or KC's defense putting their entire game plan around grabbing on every play and daring the refs to call it, or the Ravens instituting throws to create DPI, or blown sideline calls, or, or, or...

Bottom line, the play in question (which still looks like a TD to me) happened at the end of the FIRST HALF, which ended 13-13, and would have been 17-13. The Bills went up 16-13 in the third quarter, then got murdered by a Patriots team that had made all the right adjustments.

https://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/untitled-26.jpg

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back