PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Tomlinson back his words with his play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that he's no different than when he came into the league. He's human, just like the rest of the players and will have his bad moments, as have Brady, Manning, Favre, and any other "classy" players you care to mention.

The truth of the matter is that he mostly (say 90%) does lead by example, rather than by talking. The difference here is that up until about 2 years ago, the Chargers were getting no national media attention. Period. They're not America's team, don't play in a big market, and frankly didn't have the wins that put them into the spotlight like they've been doing. So no one out of southern California really saw the complete picture.

Of course, most rational people look at the whole picture and say if a guy's 90% good/classy/whatever, then that's how they'll categorize him. Everyone, you and me included, have their bad days/moments. But most people realize that. It's just that you'll sell more TV time or newspapers by pointing out the scandalous, even if it's just 10% of the overall picture, because that is what people pay attention to. You all have bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I know this isn't going to change any of your minds... it's already made up. But that's my honest take.

I agree with what you say, the media can distort perception. However, if maybe he left it at the ridiculous ouburst of dancing, maybe we would have left it alone. HE keeps stepping up to the mike and repeating himself and he does seem different this year. I do believe he has also realized that he has made some very big mistakes because of how complimentary he has been this week. He ran his mouth week 2 and he ended up crying again. He is very wisely tiptoeing this week.

For years, Tomlinson maintained a carefully cultivated image as a guy who let his play do the talking. We heard time and time again how much class LT had and were given little reason to doubt it. And, in fact, a lot of people (me included) were happy for him when he broke the TD record precisely because of the way he comported himself.

Since the end of the NE-SD play-off game last year, we have all seen a different side of him. His outburst that day (no doubt borne of considerable frustration) was as nonsensical as it was childish. And if he had left it there, no problem.

During the course of this season, he has adopted an unseemly and somewhat spastic TD celebration (no big deal, really, except that it's really hard to look at). But more importantly, he has revealed a side no one ever saw before - petulant, immature and self-absorbed. He has on numerous occasions publicly demonstrated his disdain for his head coach and QB.

Count me as disappointed. He squandered a career worth of goodwill in a short period of time. He went from being one of my favorite (non-Patriot) players to one of my least favorite. He has been a great player but can no longer hold himself out as the class act we all thought he was.

He was frustrated as was the entire team because they all knew they literally gave that game away. Hence, the Bolts as well as the majority of Bolts Fans over-reacted to the Pats post-game celebration not understanding that to the winner goes the spoils and that seeing a team celebrate their victory on your home field is one the highest and long-lasting prices of losing.

For LT that same frustration carried over to the regular season when this team was seemingly off course to once again wasting away an opportunity to be great.

That frustration has since been released by LT and the entire team and all are now on course and are solely focused on realizing their opportunity to be great and thus truly enjoy the spoils of being winners.

Everything else is nothing but useless distraction more often than not created by the media for their own purposes.

Last edited:
I would say that he's no different than when he came into the league. He's human, just like the rest of the players and will have his bad moments, as have Brady, Manning, Favre, and any other "classy" players you care to mention.

The truth of the matter is that he mostly (say 90%) does lead by example, rather than by talking. The difference here is that up until about 2 years ago, the Chargers were getting no national media attention. Period. They're not America's team, don't play in a big market, and frankly didn't have the wins that put them into the spotlight like they've been doing. So no one out of southern California really saw the complete picture.

Of course, most rational people look at the whole picture and say if a guy's 90% good/classy/whatever, then that's how they'll categorize him. Everyone, you and me included, have their bad days/moments. But most people realize that. It's just that you'll sell more TV time or newspapers by pointing out the scandalous, even if it's just 10% of the overall picture, because that is what people pay attention to. You all have bought it hook, line, and sinker.

I know this isn't going to change any of your minds... it's already made up. But that's my honest take.
Thanks for your perspective.

I agree with what you say, the media can distort perception. However, if maybe he left it at the ridiculous ouburst of dancing, maybe we would have left it alone. HE keeps stepping up to the mike and repeating himself and he does seem different this year. I do believe he has also realized that he has made some very big mistakes because of how complimentary he has been this week. He ran his mouth week 2 and he ended up crying again. He is very wisely tiptoeing this week.

I don't think he is tiptoeing—there is just no ground to stand on anymore. Going into Week 2 your upgraded offense was still unproven. Now he has seen, like everyone else, how deadly it is. He can no longer say 9 out of 10 or anything close to it. He thought the Chargers were the better team in October. Now he knows better.

Come Sunday, you'll see the LT that most teams dread to see. When your aging defense is all hobbled up and decimated by fatigue and weak knees then the running game perks up.

Pick your poison: LT/Turner/Sproles package or Rivers/(Volek)/Chambers/Jackson/Naane/Gates/Manu package?

If you don't know who Igor is then you'll find out on Sunday.

Last edited:
Come Sunday, you'll see the LT that most teams dread to see. When your aging defense is all hobbled up and decimated by fatigue and weak knees then the running game perks up.

Pick your poison: LT/Turner/Sproles package or Rivers/(Volek)/Chambers/Jackson/Naane/Gates/Manu package?

I'll take Brady/Maroney/Moss/Stallworth/Gaffney/Welker/Watson/Faulk any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Your group wasn't exactly world beaters this year, mine was!

Did they all get added since week 2 or did they not make the trip out last time? Because I seem to remember them all getting their asses handed to them this season.

Last edited:
do you remember when he said the chargers would be us 9 out of 10 times? so far we haven't proved him wrong,
Actually, he said that when we beat them last year, and the next game the Chargers lost, so he was already proven wrong.

Tomlinson's problem is that he just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. He can think the Patriots are classless for mocking Merriman's sack dance, but to verbalize that is just dumb.

He never should have said the Chargers would beat the Patriots 9 out of 10 times. That's just stupid to say when you got beat on your homefield.

Tomlinson isn't a bad guy, just an immature one who hasn't learned when to keep quiet.

He needed to understand that prior to the game last year, Merriman was publicly saying how he was going to "punch Brady in the mouth" and he was doing that ridiculously stupid "Lights Out" dance. When the Patriots won in San Diego, the Patriots were mocking him for the idiot he MADE OF HIMSELF. Merriman was mocked deservedly and Tomlinson should have kept his mouth shut and let Merriman defend himself.

Since making that other stupid comment about 9 out of 10, the Chargers have lost again to the Patriots, and Sunday will make it 2 straight. :rocker:

Charger fans, can you honestly tell me that you have a different opinion towards an opposing player taking shots at your team like:

"I thought it was completely classless and it comes from their head coach."

"If we played the [Chargers] 9 times, we would beat them 10." - said after the "one" loss.

"They believe it you aint cheatin' you aint tryin"

Within the last 12 months, you boy has taken three calculated shots at NE. Sure he is a fantastic player and may be a wonderful human being, but do you really expect NE fans to just ignore LdT's own words?

Last edited:

It really is no contest. Even when comparing NE's 7 worst game stretch with SD's best 8 game stretch, NE still has the better offense.

SD's best hope lies with the defenses, not the offenses.

see sig VV.

'nuff said.

I'm going to be lmao while he disappears as his sorryass team gets blown out by a pro operation.
again.

This is unbelievable....Who puts that kind of crap on their website?? That is some classy s*** to say about yourself-

"LaDainian Tomlinson has proven himself worthy of the title as the NFL’s best player. Year after year he has consistently gotten better. In just seven seasons, L.T. is already the Chargers’ all-time leading rusher, has been named to four Pro Bowls and has rushed for 1,200 yards in all six of his NFL seasons. "

I am worthy of the title sexiest man in america and I will be putting it on my website......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes