PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breaking down that 77 Yard TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Was re-watching the Fins game, and had to loop the Edelman TD a dozen times, because it is such a great example of an offense playing at its peak ability.

Pre-snap
To start, I didn't realize in real time, but the Dolphins were showing an 8-man blitz against a 3rd and 7.

The Pats spent almost 10 seconds pre-snap to adjust this alignment.

Miami has four down linemen, two linebackers, three corners and two safeties. They've have Bobby McCain showing corner blitz from the left side, and a safety showing blitz from the right side and two linebackers showing blitz up the middle, Alonzo and Paysinger.

Against that, the Pats have 3 WR and 2 RB... Floyd and Edelman left, and Hogan right. In the backfield, they have White and Lewis as wingbacks.

You can tell, watching the tape, that the offense sees what they're up against, and maybe licking their chops. They go through their assignments, and the play clock is ticking down.

Reading the Corner Blitz
upload_2017-1-1_19-52-17.png

First, Edelman and Brady simultaneously point out McCain, who is not lined up across from JE in the slot, but is aligned tight against the DL showing blitz. If McCain comes, it's clear pre-snap the next closest defender to Edelman is the deep safety-- who isn't even in the frame. Opportunity knocks.

OL Assignments
upload_2017-1-1_19-54-26.png
While Brady and Edelman are discussing the corner blitz, you can also see that Andrews is calling out blocking assignments and the OL are looking to him as he counts out the defensive linemen by hand. Solder = Branch, Thuney = Jones, Andrews = Paysinger, Suh = Mason, Cannon = Wake. The other linebacker, if he comes, they have to drop to the RBs. And if either corner or safety come on the blitz, they will fall to the RBs to pick up, too.

RB Alignment
Then, Brady and the RBs spend a second or two on blocking assignments, first shifting White forward to pick up a linebacker coming up the middle, and then setting Lewis back to protect against the blitzing S on the right side.

They go from here...
upload_2017-1-1_20-5-18.png

... to here...
upload_2017-1-1_19-56-58.png

After the adjustments, here's what they have...
upload_2017-1-1_19-16-33.png

If the Fins send all 8, there are only 7 potential pass protectors, so the math doesn't work out so good. But, if they send 8, then the receivers are all 1 on 1 with DBs, and Edelman in particular is manned up against the deep safety. Is there any question where the ball has to go?

At the Snap
McCain does come from the left.

The safety (Hendy?) on the right does pretty much nothing-- assigned to shadow Lewis who's blocking.

Of the two linebackers, Paysinger comes up the middle in the blitz, met by Andrews. Alonzo drops into coverage, ostensibly to pick up Edelman in the slot. Linebacker on Edelman, lol.

The Pass Protection
In brief, the protection is amazing. Textbook "Do Your Job".

On the left side, McCain is blitzing. Soldier takes Branch and Thuney turns Jones into him. The two of them together move those guys outside and McCain gets kinda caught up, trying to get around the bodies from his corner position. White was initially deployed to pickup Alonzo. But when Alonzo drops into coverage, White swings back to the outside to pick up McCain as he turns the corner. White gets there in time and Brady is clean.

On the right side, Wake and Suh and Paysinger are all coming. As a unit, Cannon, Mason and Andrews stonewall the group and press them together into a big aquamarine mound of flesh that gets nowhere near Brady. On paper, Wake on Cannon and Suh on Mason seem like mismatches. But in the game, the overpaid Miami DL is absolutely stuffed.

Brady doesn't wait to throw the ball. He knows right away where the ball needs to go. Here's what the pocket looks like when he pulls the trigger.

upload_2017-1-1_19-15-48.png

In the frame just before this one, Soldier and Thuney are group-blocking three players between the two of them, to give White time to come back outside from the middle for the corner blitz. In this frame, White is there for the corner. But Soldier has stepped left to get a hip on McCain as he comes around, and as a result Jones has leaked through the gap created between Soldier and Thuney.

Brady might have had another half second before Jones got to him. But he didn't need it.

Edelman's Route
I have no idea what route Edelman was supposed to run, but reading the blitz he just runs four yards to an open spot and sits down to get the pass. This was clearly ordained. You can see that Alonzo is late getting there.

upload_2017-1-1_19-30-37.png

YAC
Edelman's escapability on display in the open field. Here, the deep safety misses the tackle. Alonzo is tailing the play.
upload_2017-1-1_19-42-1.png

The Block
Tony Lippett, #36, the corner who was covering Floyd on the outside runs with Edelman for a while and would eventually have caught him. But, of course, Floyd comes in and pops the guy hard. Lovely to see.

upload_2017-1-1_19-45-23.png

That other set of aquamarine feet belong to Kiko Alonzo, still trailing and never a factor at all in the play.

Summary
Top to bottom, terrific execution. Blocking was there, the blitz pickup was there, the ball was out, the receiver adjusted his route to burn the blitz, the open field elusiveness and the crushing block. Picture perfect. Do your job, know the situation, make a play.

The only member of the 11 offensive players that I didn't mention is Chris Hogan, who was lined up 1:1 on the opposite side of the play. He had nothing to do, other than meet Edelman in the endzone for the celebration.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-1_19-51-25.png
    upload_2017-1-1_19-51-25.png
    199.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Great work, that was a nice breakdown!

Was re-watching the Fins game, and had to loop the Edelman TD a dozen times, because it is such a great example of an offense playing at its peak ability.

Pre-snap
To start, I didn't realize in real time, but the Dolphins were showing an 8-man blitz against a 3rd and 7.

The Pats spent almost 10 seconds pre-snap to adjust this alignment.

Miami has four down linemen, two linebackers, three corners and two safeties. They've have Bobby McCain showing corner blitz from the left side, and a safety showing blitz from the right side and two linebackers showing blitz up the middle, Alonzo and Paysinger.

Against that, the Pats have 3 WR and 2 RB... Floyd and Edelman left, and Hogan right. In the backfield, they have White and Lewis as wingbacks.

You can tell, watching the tape, that the offense sees what they're up against, and maybe licking their chops. They go through their assignments, and the play clock is ticking down.

Reading the Corner Blitz
View attachment 15400

First, Edelman and Brady simultaneously point out McCain, who is not lined up across from JE in the slot, but is aligned tight against the DL showing blitz. If McCain comes, it's clear pre-snap the next closest defender to Edelman is the deep safety-- who isn't even in the frame. Opportunity knocks.

OL Assignments
View attachment 15402
While Brady and Edelman are discussing the corner blitz, you can also see that Andrews is calling out blocking assignments and the OL are looking to him as he counts out the defensive linemen by hand. Solder = Branch, Thuney = Jones, Andrews = Paysinger, Suh = Mason, Cannon = Wake. The other linebacker, if he comes, they have to drop to the RBs. And if either corner or safety come on the blitz, they will fall to the RBs to pick up, too.

RB Alignment
Then, Brady and the RBs spend a second or two on blocking assignments, first shifting White forward to pick up a linebacker coming up the middle, and then setting Lewis back to protect against the blitzing S on the right side.

They go from here...
View attachment 15405

... to here...
View attachment 15404

After the adjustments, here's what they have...
View attachment 15395

If the Fins send all 8, there are only 7 potential pass protectors, so the math doesn't work out so good. But, if they send 8, then the receivers are all 1 on 1 with DBs, and Edelman in particular is manned up against the deep safety. Is there any question where the ball has to go?

At the Snap
McCain does come from the left.

The safety (Hendy?) on the right does pretty much nothing-- assigned to shadow Lewis who's blocking.

Of the two linebackers, Paysinger comes up the middle in the blitz, met by Andrews. Alonzo drops into coverage, ostensibly to pick up Edelman in the slot. Linebacker on Edelman, lol.

The Pass Protection
In brief, the protection is amazing. Textbook "Do Your Job".

On the left side, McCain is blitzing. Soldier takes Branch and Thuney turns Jones into him. The two of them together move those guys outside and McCain gets kinda caught up, trying to get around the bodies from his corner position. White was initially deployed to pickup Alonzo. But when Alonzo drops into coverage, White swings back to the outside to pick up McCain as he turns the corner. White gets there in time and Brady is clean.

On the right side, Wake and Suh and Paysinger are all coming. As a unit, Cannon, Mason and Andrews stonewall the group and press them together into a big aquamarine mound of flesh that gets nowhere near Brady. On paper, Wake on Cannon and Suh on Mason seem like mismatches. But in the game, the overpaid Miami DL is absolutely stuffed.

Brady doesn't wait to throw the ball. He knows right away where the ball needs to go. Here's what the pocket looks like when he pulls the trigger.

View attachment 15394

In the frame just before this one, Soldier and Thuney are group-blocking three players between the two of them, to give White time to come back outside from the middle for the corner blitz. In this frame, White is there for the corner. But Soldier has stepped left to get a hip on McCain as he comes around, and as a result Jones has leaked through the gap created between Soldier and Thuney.

Brady might have had another half second before Jones got to him. But he didn't need it.

Edelman's Route
I have no idea what route Edelman was supposed to run, but reading the blitz he just runs four yards to an open spot and sits down to get the pass. This was clearly ordained. You can see that Alonzo is late getting there.

View attachment 15396

YAC
Edelman's escapability on display in the open field. Here, the deep safety misses the tackle. Alonzo is tailing the play.
View attachment 15397

The Block
Tony Lippett, #36, the corner who was covering Floyd on the outside runs with Edelman for a while and would eventually have caught him. But, of course, Floyd comes in and pops the guy hard. Lovely to see.

View attachment 15398

That other set of aquamarine feet belong to Kiko Alonzo, still trailing and never a factor at all in the play.

Summary
Top to bottom, terrific execution. Blocking was there, the blitz pickup was there, the ball was out, the receiver adjusted his route to burn the blitz, the open field elusiveness and the crushing block. Picture perfect. Do your job, know the situation, make a play.

The only member of the 11 offensive players that I didn't mention is Chris Hogan, who was lined up 1:1 on the opposite side of the play. He had nothing to do, other than meet Edelman in the endzone for the celebration.
Terrific work.

No kidding I ran this same play in Madden online a couple years ago.

Guy sent a blitz , I saw it and had the same result, 80 yard TD with Edeldude.

I was away ahead on this one. :D

No team in the league gets to the LOS faster and stays longer than the Pats and this is why. Eventually the defense starts to give up its secrets.

Great job. I love this stuff

One thing you didn't mention is that Brady made a gesture with both his hands, pushing downwards toward the ground, while Edelman looked back at him. This was the last gesture he made before the snap. I think this is him telling Edelman "I expect you to sit down in the hole" or to cut his route short, since as you said, the safety was still playing way off him. I think Brady and Edelman both knew that it was going to be a short pass to Edelman who would sit down in the hole. I think that's why the play worked so well to start; they both knew what was going to happen before the ball was even snapped.

Nice overall analysis. Watched the play a few times again myself on gamepass. That Floyd hit was so great.

Last edited:
One of the reasons Brady targets Edelman so much - he always knows where he will be. They are nearly always on the same page and see the same things. I would bet people run different routes than Brady anticipates more often than we realize.

One of the reasons Brady targets Edelman so much - he always knows where he will be. They are nearly always on the same page and see the same things. I would bet people run different routes than Brady anticipates more often than we realize.
Clicked "agree" but disagree with this part. All we have to do is watch Brady blow his top whenever they do.

No team in the league gets to the LOS faster and stays longer than the Pats and this is why. Eventually the defense starts to give up its secrets.

Great job. I love this stuff

When we say and hear phrases like "playing with tempo" this is where Brady can create massive advantages for himself. When you go no huddle and run a play with 25 left on the play clock one play, and then sit and wait til the last second the next, defenses don't have the opportunity to disguise their defenses. Brady will always have the advantage in that situation, and will wait all game for certain plays to open up. He isn't always looking for the hammer, but does a better job than anyone exposing a team and taking advantage when he finds that weakness.

It's also why the run game was such a priority this year, as it gave him so many more chess pieces to play with. And Brady is at his absolute best when he can use the subtle confusions on a play by play basis, which starts with having a comprehensive running game with the requisite blocking.

One of the reasons Brady targets Edelman so much - he always knows where he will be. They are nearly always on the same page and see the same things.

In this case, I'm pretty certain the entire offense saw the same thing. The give away is that Brady and Edelman stood and pointed to McCain for a full heartbeat. All the skill position players, at least, must have seen and read the defensive alignment, and understood that if the corner was coming, Edelman would be the guy that's uncovered.

So, I'd say it wasn't so much that Brady was targeting Edelman because they have a special connection... more like, the alignment of the defense dictated that the ball had to go to Edelman. For Brady, there's only one read, and that is to confirm that the corner really is blitzing. If that happens, Edelman breaks off his route and sits down for the quick release.

I'm sure they've practiced this situation many time, and how to beat it. Definitive Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes