PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Both Vikings and Bears Interested in Eliot Wolf for Open GM Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016-2020
"The Patriots rank 26th in Value Rate and 24th in Value Vs. Expected Rate from 2016 to 2020. So, it’s definitely true that Belichick’s drafts in recent years have suffered from a lack of quality picks."

You want to name 12 crappy bench players again and pretend the 2013-2019 drafts didn't completely suck? Multiple national outlets analyzed it and put the Patriots as one of the worst during this period. Kraft himself was quoted on this, hence the changed process involving Wolf and Groh. Happy to show the sources for those who bury their head in the sand.

Go get help.

Don't conflate the issues. The dearth of talent acquisition for years led to the Pats trying to replenish the cupboard via a record FA splurge. And it's caught up to the team for the last 3 seasons since 2018.
The draft is one piece of building a roster. Winning matters more than someone’s opinion of drafting. They have made the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years.

is the answer, we lay the blame on those responsible for over a half decade of really bad drafting?

Yep. Pats fans definitely need to blame the people responsible for 6 Lombardi’s and 9 AFC Championships. They really suck, Kraft should have hired the people who read Lindy’s,WalterFootball, and watch YouTube highlights, they are the really smart football people.

Yep. Pats fans definitely need to blame the people responsible for 6 Lombardi’s and 9 AFC Championships. They really suck, Kraft should have hired the people who read Lindy’s,WalterFootball, and watch YouTube highlights, they are the really smart football people.

"On Wednesday, Pats owner Robert Kraft addressed the team’s recent stretch of poor drafting.

“I don’t feel we’ve done the greatest job in the last few years. I hope and really believe I’ve seen a different approach this year,” Kraft said, “and in the end, it all comes out with what happens on the field.”

Entering last season, the Patriots’ drafts from 2016-2019 ranked sixth-worst in the NFL by career Approximate Value (AV), a metric that represents a player’s total career impact, while weighing his single-season peak performance (i.e. his numbers from a Pro Bowl year) against his long-term statistical production. After a decade-plus of nailing their high picks, who earned high AV marks, the Pats whiffed with their first selections in 2016 (Cyrus Jones), 2017 (Derek Rivers) and 2019 (N’Keal Harry), while receiving an underwhelming return from 2018 first-rounder Sony Michel.

Failing to hit on these picks shrink the Patriots’ margin for error when roster-building elsewhere because they wasted their most economic opportunities for player acquisition. It also cost the front office potential trade assets and sent the team into free agency without much of a backup plan aside from the signing spree it recently executed.

“If you want to have a good, consistent, winning football team, you can’t do it in free agency. You have to do it through the draft,”

Patriots have changed their draft approach after recent misses, says owner Robert Kraft

-----------

you can tell the forum has organizational stooges here when they swarm with spin

Bill and I were talking the other day when Bob Kraft decided to join us for lunch, and he said that the real credit for last year’s draft goes to Dave Zeigler, who he put in charge of putting their draft board, and Bob was shaking his head and said he wholeheartedly agreed with Bill on this, although he also credited Eliot Wolf for saving Dave time by picking up his laundry and cleaning his car for him. Bill agreed and noted that Eliot can detail a car like nobodies business, and that he does a great job of cleaning the offices as well. And as we were getting dessert, Bob picked up our tab, Bill said that Dave was the best front office guy in football, and that he hopes Josh sticks around so they can be a team when he retires. It was a great lunch, thanks to Bob for picking up the tab, and to Bill for inviting me to be a part of the Draft War Room this spring, I’m really looking forward to it,

Last edited:
Bill and I were talking the other day when Bob Kraft decided to join us for lunch, and he said that the real credit for last year’s draft goes to John Zeigler, who he put in charge of putting their draft board, and Bob was shaking his head and said he wholeheartedly agreed with Bill on this, although he also credited Eliot Wolf for saving John time by picking up his laundry and cleaning his car for him. Bill agreed and noted that Eliot can detail a car like nobodies business, and that he does a great job of cleaning the offices as well. And as we were getting dessert, Bob picked up our tab, Bill said that John was the best front office guy in football, and that he hopes Josh sticks around so they can be a team when he retires. It was a great lunch, thanks to Bob for picking up the tab, and to Bill for inviting me to be a part of the Draft War Room this spring, I’m really looking forward to it,

This is gold. Ivan once again such a pathetic troll he doesn't even know the right name. What a bad dumb troll Igor is.

it may not die, but it will be severely injured. Wolf was the best thing to walk into our draft room in nearly a decade!

how many more horrible flame out second round defensive backs can we afford to draft?
All of them :D

Ok before anybody loses their shlitz, the "all of them" was for comic effect... although suuuure sometimes it feels that way.

I should add up-front,

1) I primarily know nothing.... this is a privately held organization that takes its information management very seriously.

2) I know a little more -- or have food for conjecture -- when they make a public statement. There is a huge risk if they outright lie, because they want to use the information they vent as a tool, so if they cannot be believed, that is a loss of value. If it's important enough, of course they might lie. But we're more likely to have what can later be described as being honest... but where there's room for any sort of interpretation, lack of detail, etc., there can be a whole story there. The key is, we don't know what that story is (unless, for some reason, we do.) E.g., it's not a slam dunk to read that Kraft says he wants a different approach because the present one did not produce recent results, and that means...

3) Another kind of information could be the main purpose for that message, and I suspect it is: well, that happened. It's a public airing of in-house disagreement. Krafty's not "on the loose," but he reserves the right to make it happen whatever that means. Yes, he's hands-off, but the leash isn't infinite. And he wants results in the draft. He did not say "Change is coming, and the name of that change is Eliot Wolf." And he said it in such a way that Bill could publicly shrug and say "he's not saying anything that everybody doesn't know. We did some things well, we hit on some picks, there are some we'd like back, we didn't do enough recently..." or something. You know, we're on to 2021.

We're looking back at it after hitting on the biggest pick in 20 years. Was there groundlaying there in case we whiffed on Jones, didn't do much better elsewhere, and finished 6-11? Yeah, in that scenario, BB would be on the way to a make or break 2022. So that's another hypothetical message -- again, for us to see the message in the open was part of the intent, for the fanbase to have the bug in their ear "Kraft agrees, do better," is part of the intent. That's a big enough statement that it doesn't just slip out.
The criteria that was used to select Harry in the 1st round?

He was obviously brought in (probably by Kraft) not to copy what pats were doing but to bring new ideas. He's getting credit for the success of the recent drafts. I believe Kraft said it was a collaborative effort.
Yeahhhhh he was there, and I am glad to say could be an unnamed great asset, and I'm not even arguing the contrary. I'm just agreeing with the folks acknowledging our epistimological limitations... it is enough to try to be honest about we know and what we don't know. That's hard enough. Building a case that we know something inferentially, without direct evidence, seems a low percentage bet. I will say, I said "obviously" once too often in a freshman discussion free-for-all about 40 years ago (Jesus... 41?????) and a now no doubt dead professor had heard it from me once too often, and said "what's obvious to you might not be obvious to everybody." The way he said it stuck with me :) I became wary of the word... he was right. It was a crutch (functionally) and it was a red flag (in terms of the meaning conveyed by its use.) THAT WAS ME... I only note it here because "obviously" made me think immediately, hmmm. Wonder what's assumed here.
The 2021 draft was conducted differently than in the past. They brought in Wolf. It was more of a collaborative effort instead of Bill having veto power. Kraft initiated these efforts, tired of the results of the recent poor drafts. There was also a marked change in FAcy. Again, Kraft spoke about this. Kraft wants to win and wasn't going to sit idly by while things continued the same, but this time w/o the GOAT. You don't need to be a genius to read all of Krafts comments during the offseason to realize this.

You can believe what you want, but it's clear things have changed in the FO.
I don't mean to quote you twice - nothing personal.

Kraft commented emphasizing how you need to draft well to win. Check.

There was a "noted change in free agency." Check. To wit, the much-mentioned spending spree, in the presence of DEFLATION in the cost of contracts -- to be followed by years of INFLATION, most markedly the leap from '21-'22 -- using salary cap as a proxy for expected overall market movements.

This would argue for a possible misdirection in Kraft's focus on the draft. WHO KNOWS? But if I'm trying to work the caponomics and only a couple of other teams are cottoning on to the dynamic, I could see gettnig everybody talking about the draft while my team works FA in the historically cheap market.

It could have gone another way, if you think about it. What if EVERYBODY spent a ton this year (whoever had the cap space, but lets say a bunch more teams blew it all up and bought in now at select positions, pushing the per position costs higher even in a down cap year, until rough equilibrium was reached.) So that sleight of hand, if we were seeing a little of that, would have a purpose. It's not much different in concept from touring a home you love and saying "Man, this place has load-bearing walls right where I'd want to open it up... I mean I couild work with it... but everybody would want to open it up these days..."

"Man I love free agency but let's face it, winning teams are built in the draft..."
Everybody thinks the personnel decisions changed just because BB went around the room and asked if everyone was OK with the Mac Jones pick. That's not collaboration. That's validation and if anyone said no they'd be fired for not surfacing concerns in pre-draft meetings.
BB going around the room, on publicly released footage, pointedly asking for the collaboration, in the presence of releases on how its a collaborative process, reminded me of when Trump's cabinet went around the room and said "Let me just say how honored I am to serve in your cabinet," with no other content. The message of that video was "Now we collaborate." The truth, of course, is that Nike pulls their strings and they BETTER say Mac Jones when Nike says Mac Jones. Seriously, it looked staged.

Like I said, I just don't believe most of what we see... I would not point to that public heated agreement as anything but draft-day entertainment and propaganda. For some reason, it was important for everybody to see a collaborative process.

So I do think that Kraft wanted the collab. process, the group trip to the grocery store before cooking dinner, but more than that, he wanted it on display.

Punitively, to publicly correct Bill? To shut the sports mediots up about our drafting, protecting Bill? To magnify the importance of the draft, so the public "rebuke" value would be the story, not the FA spending?

To quote a brighter light than me, all I know is that I don't know anything.

This is gold. Ivan once again such a pathetic troll he doesn't even know the right name. What a bad dumb troll Igor is.

Thanks Cam. But I realize his name is Robert, but his good friends all call him Bob. Only Jonathan calls him Robert.

Here's what Bill said (he's probably lying too, lmao).

“Matt rejoined us and has been heavily involved in the process, and (assistant director of player personnel) Dave Ziegler, (front office executive) Eliot Wolf and (national scout) Matt Groh have really carried the ball on this,” Belichick said.

“They’ve done a ton of work and their respected staffs that they oversee as well. In particular, those three guys have really done a tremendous amount of work, evaluation, organization and have done a great job of putting things together,” said Belichick.

Here is Wolf's CV as an executive:
  • Green Bay Packers:
    • Pro personnel assistant (2004-08)​
    • Assistant director of pro personnel (2008-11)​
    • Assistant director of player personnel (2011-12)​
    • Director of pro personnel (2012-15)​
    • Director of player personnel (2015-16)​
    • Director of football operations (2016-17)​
  • Cleveland Browns: Assistant general manager (2018-19)
  • New England Patriots: Front office consultant (2020-present) that picks up Bill's laundry and cleans his car
He left GB and CLE after not getting the GM position. At the end of the day, it won't really matter if Wolf leaves.
Everything will continue to be the same until Bill retires.

Things are getting desperate. In order to keep wolf, I think we need to bribe the Vikings and the bears to take a pass on wolf.

1.) we send Steve belicheck to the bears and they agree to not hire wolf!

2.) we send the other belicheck plus te laglass to the Vikings and they agree to not hire wolf.

Things are getting desperate. In order to keep wolf, I think we need to bribe the Vikings and the bears to take a pass on wolf.

1.) we send Steve belicheck to the bears and they agree to not hire wolf!

2.) we send the other belicheck plus te laglass to the Vikings and they agree to not hire wolf.

Send Ace and Gary (McD and Ziegler) to Oakland. Keep Wolf and give him the GM title

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3