PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills @ Pats rewatch thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for starting off with heavy stuff, but I think it's important to understand the evolution of our defense as it related to injury and who is available to play. Our 33 Bear Front went to the even front ever since KVN went out.

Now for the Bills game:

As I understand the 43 flex, it was most known to stop sweeps. If that front is anything like the Landry 43 flex, it wouldn't surprise me. The Patriots have had a hell of a time this year containing the sweep.

Also thought this was interesting...

Oh and no need to apologize for starting off with the heavy stuff. I don’t care for foreplay that much.

I'm wondering if this alignment is the reason why we've been seeing so much of Richards lined up close to the LoS. As I'm reading what I can into it, I'm seeing that teams that have traditionally run this prefer their Sam to be a SS type that can run better than a traditional backer.

Thanks for starting @PP2

I couldnt really find any time or motivation to sit through the tape of that game over the holidays. Not sure the Jets game will be much more interesting apart from looking into Harrison snaps ect.

That being said I just finished listening to Chathams recap and once again it is worth your time.

Haven't seen it anywhere yet so thought I'd start one.
Zach Dunne: This front that New England has been playing is great against zone because it essentially takes away any double teams up front. The will also run the Mike through the backside A gap so if the Center does want to help on a dbl team it will create a free run through for the Mike
How does this front take away double teams up front more than some other front the Patriots could be playing? I don't understand Zach's point.

How does this front take away double teams up front more than some other front the Patriots could be playing? I don't understand Zach's point.

Maybe this helps

Last edited:
I still don't understand what's going on and require a much more detailed explanation.

Paging @AndyJohnson

You seem to have a pretty firm grip on most of the deep stuff. Any chance you could explain this in clear words ?

Check out Andrews get vertical & Thuney pulling.

Great run game leads to LB'S (52) peeking in the backfield & gets turned around.

Pitt is successful running through B-gaps while this alignment clogs that gap. It forces the C to make decision and leaves the A-gap "free'r" for our mike/ilb

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Wise tries a Rip move first but is unsuccessful. See Taylor is stepping up. Uses his man's momentum against him & gives him a small swat/club to cross over

Does this possibly explain why Roberts is consistently accused here of overrunning plays? He's doing this gap disruption assignment?

I would almost flip it and say that is the reason why Roberts sometimes shows up like a torpedo with a big play.

I honestly dont think his issue is so much overrunning plays as it is him overcommiting and then getting shook easily. And of course sometimes his angles are just baaaaaad.

Pitt is successful running through B-gaps while this alignment clogs that gap. It forces the C to make decision and leaves the A-gap "free'r" for our mike/ilb

So if Pittsburgh was successful running through B gaps, then your answer does in fact show that the Patriots' alignment would be successful against that. I mean, since there are now defenders right in front of the B gaps for one thing.

But I don't understand how this answers my question: why is this front
"great against zone because it essentially takes away any double teams up front." What does zone have to do with it? What is different about this defensive alignment than other similar alignments, say 4 - 3, that make this alignment better against the double team?

There was one play on a nice Dion Lewis run left for a first down where the O-line had some really complex blocking scheme. I don't remember what it was, but all 5 of them seemed to change places, with I think the center and maybe the right guard throwing some cut blocks, Solder going downfield for one, Andrews too, and Dwayne Allen making a nice block. I saw an analysis of the play on twitter but can't find it now.

So if Pittsburgh was successful running through B gaps, then your answer does in fact show that the Patriots' alignment would be successful against that. I mean, since there are now defenders right in front of the B gaps for one thing.

But I don't understand how this answers my question: why is this front
"great against zone because it essentially takes away any double teams up front." What does zone have to do with it? What is different about this defensive alignment than other similar alignments, say 4 - 3, that make this alignment better against the double team?

I believe that since there are five D players at the LOS you can't double team without leaving some guys totally unblocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes