PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bills make two big trades.

Gotta love the Rams approach. Collect Buffalo WR's = passing game success, right?

Gotta love the Rams approach. Collect Buffalo WR's = passing game success, right?

It's kind of tough to mock that strategy, given the Patriots decisions with regards to grabbing Bills players.

We could definitely see the Watkins move coming, considering they didn't even pick up his option.

Darby did surprise me a bit, thought they liked him.

They probably do.

However, if you have an extra CB and need a WR....trade the extra CB and get a WR.

Talk of Buffalo tanking is premature.

I went to the XMAS eve Miami game and absent Rex's horrendous couching, they would have been a 10 win team and in the playoffs. It was beyond belief how undisciplined and badly coached that team was.

Forget the division.

Wow, the Jets and Bills may be the two worst teams in the league, thankfully they both play in the AFC East;);)

It's kind of tough to mock that strategy, given the Patriots decisions with regards to grabbing Bills players.

Especially give that one of those players is specifically a WR, who worked out pretty well.

Confucius: For every Julio Jones, a Sammie Watkins there is.

Just in case anyone cares, the plight of the Bills and Jets (and in my opinion, the Dolphins, who were pretenders even before the Tannehill injury) can be traced back to the 2015 offseason, when all of the media was hailing their aggressive free agency signings and declaring the gap closed between them and New England. To me, it was obvious from the beginning that these were stupid moves that would make these teams weaker and the Patriots stronger. They merely outbid in free agency, which is the very worst way to build a team and almost always blows up.

AFC East isn't a cakewalk anymore for Patriots | FOX Sports

All this was happening while the Jets, Buffalo and Miami were in the process of making up ground.

The Jets not only signed Revis to a mega-contract but also had the salary-cap space to add Cleveland’s scrappy Buster Skrine and are pursuing yet another free-agent cornerback in Antonio Cromartie. The re-signing of inside linebacker David Harris before he could test the market was significant, especially since he was expected to draw heavy interest from Buffalo and Miami. If he doesn’t wear out his welcome again with a fourth NFL team, Brandon Marshall will provide a significant boost to an anemic wide receiver corps after being acquired for a mid-round pick from Chicago. The free-agent lassoing of guard James Carpenter (Seattle) should help the offensive line while the re-signing of running back Bilal Powell helps cement the position following the release of Chris Johnson.

Buffalo began making huge waves well before the signing period began by acquiring running back LeSean McCoy from Philadelphia for linebacker Kiko Alonso. Although the Bills lost a talented young defender (albeit one coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament), McCoy will be the motor the franchise needs to run the ground-and-pound offense desired under new head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

A veteran quarterback was acquired for a song when Buffalo grabbed Matt Cassel from Minnesota to compete with EJ Manuel. The Bills are expected to sign Miami tight end Charles Clay to an offer sheet that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match under the transition tag. Wide receiver Percy Harvin is reportedly taking a free-agent visit following his Jets release. The Bills remain in the hunt to continue upgrading the offensive line following the signing of talented-but-troubled guard Richie Incognito. The NFL’s No. 4 ranked defense wasn’t ignored either when Buffalo re-signed end Jerry Hughes on Monday.

With Miami, there are more personnel subtractions than additions so far with new top football executive Mike Tannenbaum overhauling the roster. However, the imminent signing of the NFL’s top defensive tackle is definitely a plus.

Ndamukong Suh is a "generational" free agent, meaning players who are this talented almost never become available in free agency. Suh did because Detroit thought it was too costly to designate him a franchise player.

After reading this, I'm pretty sure we take both games each with the Bills & Jest, and maybe split with Miami.

Thing is,although every AFCE game is pretty much a dogfight, we've historically had problems with Miami. Mostly when we have to play down there. Can't say exactly why. Maybe it's the heat/humidity. But whatever it is, I expect new England to take the division and at least go 5/1, if not sweep it. And that's the all important first step because if you win the division, you're in the playoffs. Everything starts with that.
Basically in the Brady era the patriots are a .500 team in Miami and only lose at home id Brady isn't playing.
I agree sweep the other 2 and Jay cutler makes it seem like a sweep Miami year

For those who've lost track, Buffalo traded overall picks #9 + #19 + #115 for Watkins, with Mike Evans, Odell Beckham and Brandin Cooks still on the board in a totally stacked WR draft.

(In case you're wondering, that's 4 times the draft value the Patriots gave up for 2 years of an NFL-proven Cooks.)

Just in case anyone cares, the plight of the Bills and Jets (and in my opinion, the Dolphins, who were pretenders even before the Tannehill injury) can be traced back to the 2015 offseason, when all of the media was hailing their aggressive free agency signings and declaring the gap closed between them and New England. To me, it was obvious from the beginning that these were stupid moves that would make these teams weaker and the Patriots stronger. They merely outbid in free agency, which is the very worst way to build a team and almost always blows up.

AFC East isn't a cakewalk anymore for Patriots | FOX Sports

All this was happening while the Jets, Buffalo and Miami were in the process of making up ground.

The Jets not only signed Revis to a mega-contract but also had the salary-cap space to add Cleveland’s scrappy Buster Skrine and are pursuing yet another free-agent cornerback in Antonio Cromartie. The re-signing of inside linebacker David Harris before he could test the market was significant, especially since he was expected to draw heavy interest from Buffalo and Miami. If he doesn’t wear out his welcome again with a fourth NFL team, Brandon Marshall will provide a significant boost to an anemic wide receiver corps after being acquired for a mid-round pick from Chicago. The free-agent lassoing of guard James Carpenter (Seattle) should help the offensive line while the re-signing of running back Bilal Powell helps cement the position following the release of Chris Johnson.

Buffalo began making huge waves well before the signing period began by acquiring running back LeSean McCoy from Philadelphia for linebacker Kiko Alonso. Although the Bills lost a talented young defender (albeit one coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament), McCoy will be the motor the franchise needs to run the ground-and-pound offense desired under new head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman.

A veteran quarterback was acquired for a song when Buffalo grabbed Matt Cassel from Minnesota to compete with EJ Manuel. The Bills are expected to sign Miami tight end Charles Clay to an offer sheet that would make it difficult for the Dolphins to match under the transition tag. Wide receiver Percy Harvin is reportedly taking a free-agent visit following his Jets release. The Bills remain in the hunt to continue upgrading the offensive line following the signing of talented-but-troubled guard Richie Incognito. The NFL’s No. 4 ranked defense wasn’t ignored either when Buffalo re-signed end Jerry Hughes on Monday.

With Miami, there are more personnel subtractions than additions so far with new top football executive Mike Tannenbaum overhauling the roster. However, the imminent signing of the NFL’s top defensive tackle is definitely a plus.

Ndamukong Suh is a "generational" free agent, meaning players who are this talented almost never become available in free agency. Suh did because Detroit thought it was too costly to designate him a franchise player.
This is a nice find, Ice. It shows once again that teams will always try to pick up "names" in order to beat the Pats, rather than try and build a TEAM the way the Pats have over the years.

I'm a bit worried that with all the articles that have come out on the Pats since the superbowl FINALLY explaining a bit how they actually do it, some other teams are eventually going to "get it"

As to the trade. Right off I think the Eagles are the big winner here. It's only my eyeball test, but I really liked Darby as a CB, and would happily have given up an end of the round 3rd to grab him. He must be thrilled.

As for Watkins, I always though he could be an elite receiver, but he's been more a victim of his own injuries and bad to medicore QB play, than any fault of his own during his career. How he fares with the Rams is a mystery. Who knows what kind of a HC and QB they have. If they are good, then we will probably hear again from him. If they are bad, he will end his career in obscurity.

I have to admit I don't know much about either guy the Bills got, except that Mathews has been a disappointment.

BTW- We have always had to defend the AFCE from those haters who want to blame the division for the Pats success (even though they have about the same winning percentage both inside and out of the division). Well THIS year I think we are going to have to simply nod our heads when that comes up. It REALLY does look like no contest in 2017 5-1 looks like a worst case scenario.

To be honest, I think Buffalo is showing some good sense.

It may hurt them in the short term, and they will have to hit on their draft pick collection to really benefit, but it would seem that they are at least formulating a plan that looks beyond the immediate present.

That is a change for them, and one that might make them less of a joke organization.

Remember that someone has to win the AFC East matchups..... worst case for the Browns is that the Fins/Bills/Jete split with each other and lose all other games to go 2-14. More likely one or two of the "cream" will rise to the top, and the Browns will only be competing with one of the AFC East teams for the #1 pick.

You are assuming jesters-Jills can't play to two 0-0 ties. ;)

I'm a bit worried that with all the articles that have come out on the Pats since the superbowl FINALLY explaining a bit how they actually do it, some other teams are eventually going to "get it"

Nah, 99% of that stuff was publicly available 5-10 years ago and nobody made any use of it. The core of their entire offensive philosophy was published on Grantland.com in January 2013 and it did the entire league exactly 0 good, for instance.

In principle, what Belichick does is not hard to understand. The problem is the other 31 NFL head coaches simply aren't capable of actually implementing it. Their problem isn't lack of data about the Patriots, it's lack of mental capacity to put it to any real use. If you can barely implement 1 scheme, then knowing that the Patriots can whip a new one up every week, and execute it better than you can execute your own base scheme is not helpful information.

It may hurt them in the short term, and they will have to hit on their draft pick collection to really benefit, but it would seem that they are at least formulating a plan that looks beyond the immediate present.

That is a change for them, and one that might make them less of a joke organization.

True enough, provided ownership lets them continue on with their plan.

Right now, I believe a case could be made that the owners of the Bills, as well as the Jets, want their teams to only win enough games so that the fans keep hope alive, while losing enough that the teams remain valuable tax write-off or set-asides.

Just my opinions/observations, of course, but seems as valid an explanation to me as anything else as to why both teams have become so sucktastic year after year.

This might be the first time where an entire division (minus NE) is trying to tank a season. #Integrity

Plus, Matthews is a good player who's caught 225 balls (w 19 TDs) over his three year career and more importantly, only missed 2 games doing it. Watkins has caught 153 balls over HIS 3 years while missing 11 games.

Sure seems like the Bills are punting on 2017 and looking to the future. Can't say I blame them, they weren't going anywhere this year, and they'll be loaded with picks next year (which they'll probably screw up).

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back