PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard says Brady was bad against Jets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's reversed this year. Most articles are bashing Brady, at least from what I see.

I was referring specifically to his performance vs the Jets. Let’s call it the Rob Parker effect. Parker HATES Brady and everything out of his mouth is going to be anti-Brady, so every time he opens his trap there’s a guaranteed thread here. Meanwhile for every Parker, there’s a huge amount of Skip Bayless’s out there reaching obsessive fan territory in their love of TB12 (not that I mind it - carry on Skip.). Point is no one posts a thread that Skip Bayless claimes this Brady’s greatest season yet due to the circumstances around him.

Why Skip Bayless Believes 2018 Is Tom Brady’s ‘Greatest Achievement’

I do not listen to, read or otherwise pay attention to that fatheaded blabbermouth, Betard.

He is as inconsequential a sports media figure as I've ever had the disgust to experience. A jerkoff.
Hmmm, very interesting. Now, could you please cut out all of the jargon and answer this question?

Joker, how do you reallly feel about the man??

source.gif

What that hack Bernard...I mean Bednard....I mean however you say his name, really thinks about anything.

Brady missing Hogan in the end zone was literally the worst throw he's ever made in his entire career.

He's made worst decisions (aka ones that end up in INTs) but as far as just a straight horrible pass that is the tops.

Bad throws like that used to be so few and far between it was no big deal, but now it seems he makes at least one "WTF" throw or decision a game.

Sounds like Boston Sports Journal is failing and Bedard has resorted to clickbaiting(in this case, subscription baiting).

Brady missing Hogan in the end zone was literally the worst throw he's ever made in his entire career.

He's made worst decisions (aka ones that end up in INTs) but as far as just a straight horrible pass that is the tops.

Bad throws like that used to be so few and far between it was no big deal, but now it seems he makes at least one "WTF" throw or decision a game.

The missed TD pass to Edelman in SB49 (that worked the second time around for the lead) is pretty much the equivalent if not worse.

He had a overall great game and people still try to find little issues and blow them up to fit some narrative. I dont get it.

Borges, Shaugnessy, Bedard, Volin, Felger etc. and the beat goes on.. for some reason sports reporting has morphed from actually reporting what happens on the field to sensationalized click and bait pieces..

The only reporters of value for BSJ are Miguel and McAdam... hardly worth $4.99 per month...

Belichick spoke on the subject, and he made it abundantly clear that Brady blowing reads has not been an issue this year.

You’re first two responses are inaccurate. Sometimes even a film viewer with limited knowledge can guess reads. It’s football not theoretical physics.

I didn’t hear Belichick say that. Let’s assume he did. What would we expect him to say? He does’t usually call out individual players and he shouldn’t.

I don’t think he’s in decline. Brady is either playing hurt or bothered by personnel changes or something else is up. I’m sure he’s dissecting his performance himself and will find a way to improve or correct it.

You’re first two responses are inaccurate. Sometimes even a film viewer with limited knowledge can guess reads. It’s football not theoretical physics.

The issue with a lot of this is that the QB is making decisions not from a tv angle and usually while highly trained defenders are coming his way to smack the **** out of him and not from a couch.

Similarly, most of the people that do film review online are going somewhat in reverse from the result to the intent whereas the QB usually identifies something pre-snap (whether through formation or motion or whatever) and that affects the way he expects plays to develop. That doesn't mean that plays often go like that because opponents blow their own calls, stumble or slide or just sometimes follow their gut rather than what anyone would expect them to do. But that is not something that can (or should be) anticipated unless the player in question has a pattern of screwing things up that came up in film review.

It might not be theoretical physics but the way a QB processes things is a lot more complicated than "oh Edelman was open on this play and Brady didn't see it, lol".

Last edited:
The issue with a lot of this is that the QB is making decisions not from a tv angle and usually while highly trained defenders are coming his way to smack the **** out of him and not from a couch.

Similarly, most of the people that do film review online are going from the result to the the intent whereas the QB often identifies something pre-snap (whether through formation or motion or whatever) and that affects the way he expects plays to develop. That doesn't mean that plays often go like that because opponents blow their own calls, stumble or slide or just sometimes follow their gut rather than what anyone would expect them to do.

It might not be theoretical physics but the way a QB processes things is a lot more complicated than "oh Edelman was open on this play and Brady didn't see it, lol".
I'd bet $100 if you gave Betard the coaches film from Joe Montana's SB vs Denver which is most likely the greatest QB performance ever, he'd find missed reads and open receivers then too.

There is no such thing as a perfect game QBing a team

Numbers 2 and 4 serve as an example of why I talk about Bedard being hit and miss, and why I noted his determination to find Brady as "just ok" this year. In the second one, he's blaming Brady for not going to what he considers the obvious first read. In the fourth one, he's blaming Brady for taking the quick read. If you're going to analyze plays based upon things that are just your guess (in these cases, how plays should have been read), you have to at least be consistent with the foundation for the guesses, and he's not doing that.

That's just silly. He's saying that Brady should be a robot and take the same read every time. He's saying that Brady's job is to find the best option among many, and that he didn't do that as well in this game as he has in the past, and that this is important for the Pats to advance to a SB win.

Bedard is a jackass whose entire schtick has devolved into ripping on the Patriots for increasingly stupid reasons... but if everyone wants to spend the next 2 weeks telling Brady how he sucks and can't play anymore I'm cool with that.

I'd bet $100 if you gave Betard the coaches film from Joe Montana's SB vs Denver which is most likely the greatest QB performance ever, he'd find missed reads and open receivers then too.

There is no such thing as a perfect game QBing a team

Bedard's analysis is that Brady played a good game, and has been playing at that level for a while. Bedard's position is that for the Pats to win a SB, they need Brady to play great, not just good. That's the entire point of this article, as well as his most recent ones. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it (there's no point in that other than personal emotional satisfaction). I'm just saying that Bedard's position seems reasonably well thought out. It certainly doesn't come across as agenda driven or click bait.

Brady sets (and may adjust) the playcall at the LoS based on how he reads what the defense is going to try to do. This probably also sets the target progression in his head. He relies on all of his potential passing targets to read the defense that same way, and to adjust their route-stems and options accordingly so that they end up where Brady expects them to be, and on time.

With the snap, Brady starts going through his progression and, often, throws to the first target who - from his perspective - is open enough for him to have a reasonable chance to complete the pass. If he knows in advance that he's likely to have more time in the pocket (also a function of his pre-snap read and play design), he may wait for a different target to come open.

It doesn't always work perfectly or result in the best possible outcome.

As far as Brady's performance in the Jets game, I thought his throws were crisper and stronger than I've seen in awhile, and made with more confidence, regardless of the outcomes on specific plays.

I enjoy my subscription to BSJ and think it is more than worth the cost.
I don't have to agree with any of them - but I enjoy differing viewpoints
and/or commentary on something I may have and probably did miss.

Bedard's Breakdown: As regular season concludes, Tom Brady still not near his MVP level | Boston Sports Journal

Here's a taste on 1/2 of the ones he writes about:

Fourth play of the game, first pass: A simple toss to Julian Edelman goes for 11 yards, but could have gone for much more if Brady didn’t throw the ball high and behind Edelman and force him to do a pirouette with no one around and no pressure on Brady.
That reminds me something I've noticed all year. The hitches and passes to the flat often don't have the zip on them they used to and too often force a receiver to reach for them or even jump a little instead of hitting the receiver in the breadbasket so they can immediately start running.

Im on the side that bradys game has diminished somewhat this year, but he was nearly perfect in that game and id gladly take that for the playoffs.

It is a review of Brady's play through watching the coach's tape of the game, which Bedard has just gotten around to doing. He is genuinely surprised to find a high number of plays where Brady performed poorly. He makes a good case.

There's no value in any reaction from anyone who doesn't read it.

A person doesn't have to climb Mount Everest to know that it's tall.

Isn't a bedard one of those things in a toilet bowl that squirts water and cleans your poop shute?

I read the article, it was well supported and rationale. Homers are gonna homer. Brady looked good, but he did miss open guys and made some poor reads. The question is why?

Similarly, most of the people that do film review online are going somewhat in reverse from the result to the intent whereas the QB usually identifies something pre-snap (whether through formation or motion or whatever) and that affects the way he expects plays to develop. That doesn't mean that plays often go like that because opponents blow their own calls, stumble or slide or just sometimes follow their gut rather than what anyone would expect them to do. But that is not something that can (or should be) anticipated unless the player in question has a pattern of screwing things up that came up in film review.

Great points.

Another thing that gets overlooked with a QB's passes is the fact that those behemoths that are heading his way are also looking to knock passes down if they aren't getting to him. Even a taller QB like Brady has to avoid those type of situations and many times he can't lead the receiver properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST